McCarty Maple vs Mahogany

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, May 24, 2008.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I recently had the bridge pickup out on my McCarty and was surprised to see how thick the Maple was on the top. I couldn't help but wonder what an all Mahogany McCarty sounds like. Anyone try both?

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Nope, but I have tried and own a solid mahogany McCarty Standard. I dig it. Something about all mahogany guitars. My guess is they are a little warmer and smoother than the maple/mahogany version.

Mine went thorugh a little paint job recently and just needs to be assembled and set-up.

Looks exactly like the one in my avatar;):D

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Dave,

I have owned both a McCarty Standard and a regular McCarty with a 10 top maple top, and I was shocked, that out of these two guitars, the Standard without the maple top actually sounded brighter.

They both had the same Fralin pickups installed as well (8K Unbucker in the neck, and 9K HB in the bridge). They also had the same Jensen paper in oil cap in the tone circuit. I was expecting the exact opposite! I figured without the maple cap, the Standard would probably be a bit warmer.

I ended up selling the Standard, and keeping the 10-top. It has become my main guitar. I love my Strat and Les Paul as well, but when it comes to versatlity, nothing touches this guitar. With the coil tapped on the Unbucker, it has incredible Strat like tones with a richer spread to the tone, and the bridge pickup rocks with authority! It has more clarity than a Les Paul, and more thickness than a Strat. For me, this has been an tonal epiphany!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DV

4. stratlad

stratlad Member

Nice McCarty! That is WEIRD about the brighter all mahogany guitar.

Love my McSoapy.

5. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

I can't comment on McCarty Maple vs. McCarty Standard but I do have a maple top CE and recently got a McCarty Standard, and I too was shocked at the amount of top end it has vs. the CE (bolt on maple neck/rosewood). I would've expected it to be more muddy. That said it sounds fantastic! Very full bottom end and with the coil cut you can do some pretty convincing tele tones. Roll back the tone a bit and it is meaty. Lovin' it but also wondering how a "regular" McCarty would compare.

6. whitewave

whitewave Member

I'm really interested in this thread. I'm selling my CE-22 in order to get a warmer guitar, the McCarty.

7. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I have both and generally speaking...

The Standards seem to be fatter sounding (not lacking top end, just thicker and more 3 dimensional in the mids).

The maple-topped versions have a bit more snap (mostly on the attack) but IMHO can't compete in terms of
    tonal complexity (just not enough Mahogany left in the equation).

Soapbars or low-wind Humbuckers (think PAF) really sound good in the Standards.

Hotter winds can find a nice home in the maple-topped guitars since they have some room to be fattened-up.

As always, YMMV. ;)