McCarty owners-current thoughts about the pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Garygtr, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I realize this subject has been covered in the past and I have searched out the old threads. But, what I'm wondering:

If you have replaced the stock pickups, what did you replace them with, and are you satisfied or still searching?
    If you still have the stock pickups, are you considering a change and what are you leaning towards?

I have the stock pups in my '05. This is the 2nd McCarty I have owned, and I have come to realize that it is probably the perfect guitar for my style of playing. I play a lot of "tele-style" licks but I like a fatter tone, and the 25" scale of the McCarty still gives it a lot of "snap" that I can't get out of a 24 3/4" scale Gibson.
    BUT, I'm feeling like the tone could be even better with different pickups. I'm hoping to find some that are not quite as "focused", a little more open sounding. I don't want high output, but I do want fatness and squawk.

Thoughts/suggestions??

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Hey Gary!

I too think that my McCarty Rosewood is "my" guitar. It's perfect in every way, but after having a good tele now, I'm realizing that maybe the pickups in it aren't perfect. Close, but I too would like a more open sound. Actually, I've been focusing more on improving my CU22 cause it is really lacking compared to my McCarty.

OK, what I'm thinking... I recently finished customizing my Am Std Tele with some Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Tele pickups. I absoutly love them. And every other PU I've had of Dimarzio has been great. So I'm thinking about going with the PAF Classic with non-plated nickel covers. Per Steve Butchler (owner of dimarzio) these should be the most open sounding.

I'm sure you're going to get plenty of WCR suggestions, which I'm sure a incredible, but they're twice the price. And I've been nothing but pleased with the Dimarzio's and I bet Duncan has some pickups that'd be great too.

Good luck!

3. Garygtr

Hey Aaron!
    Funny, I have been looking at the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage PAF's with great curiosity. I talked to one member who is very happy with them in his Mc. Anyone else?

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

I just posted about my experience with Fralin Unbuckers here:

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=131585

If you want very credible tele-tones and a clear articulate HB, I gotta' say these pickups are superb. Not cheap, but for a "best of both worlds" pickup not unreasonable. I'm going to get another set for my McCarty.

5. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I've heard great things about the Voodoo '59's.

I have the McCarty pickups in my PRS SAS and I love them.

6. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

I just ordered a new set of Wolfetone Caretakers for my McCarty. I tried PRS #10s which were the best PRS pickups I have heard in a McCarty and tried Duncans, Rios, etc. For my ears, nothing is as big and beautiful as WCR and Wolfetone pickups. Also, I upgraded to some higher value CTS audio taper pots and Orange drops.

7. Garygtr

Thanks for all the input! Right now, I'm leaning toward the Unbuckers-the description as "airy" and a user's comments on another thread that Lindy says they are more P-90-ish are what's selling me....at the moment. :D

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, unbuckers slay and devastate {as it occurs to me}.
    That's what my McCarty had. A revelation compared to the stock pups.

9. A440

A440 Supporting Member

I've been eyeing these for a while as an option for mine, but I'm also interested in Lollars

apparently, Lindy designed these due to his unhappiness with his stock McCarty pickups. so I'm sure they'll sound great.

10. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

you should look at the harmonic design humbuckers too. I have one in the neck of my Chapin and really like it.

11. Garygtr

Just about sold! :cool:

12. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i have the mccarty pickups in my SAS and finally bit the bullet. just ordered a set of unbuckers and a RWRP blues special for the middle. i'll let you all know how it turns out.

13. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

At first I thought the pups in my McCarty sounded a little "boxy" but now that I've played them for a good amount of time I realize that they were intended to sound that way. Very nice on more compressed higher gain settings, just don't try to get them to sparkle or sound open... pick up the Strat or Monaco 3 for that.

I now love the way the Mc sounds, and don't want to change it for fear of losing what it does best.

14. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

A lot of PRS pickups tend to sound a bit muddy to my ears. I installed Wolfetone Caretakers in my McCarty.