McCarty Soapbar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bluewail, May 18, 2008.

1. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Over the years I've owned a lot of guitars and a few PRS guitars. While the PRS workmanship and playability were alway superb, none of them ever had the mojo, you know that vibe that makes you not want to put a guitar down. Kinda' sterile for me at least. That is until the first time I played a McSoapy. I was floored by it. The second time I played it, I bought it. Tele's are usually my axe of choice these days and the McSoapy has that single coil punch but just more - fat with no loss of clarity. The neck pup is really warm without being muddy at all and the bridge pup just growls. I had already decided I don't like Duncan soapbars but they sure work in this axe. My favorite position, both pups on, sounds extraordinary. I was sitting learning Robben's riffs from MaryAnn and it coped that clean tone to a "T". None of my tele's can (Nocaster, K-line, Suhr - the K-line comes the closest). The wrap tail piece intonates on the money and it seems like it adds to the guitars ring. Pretty light too, barely 8 lbs. I know it's still a honeymoon phase but damn so far, this is a great axe.

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I agree.....I had a McCarty Trem Soapbar and it was a great great sounding guitar. My only complaint was the 60 cylce hum. I love the sound of P-90's , but the hum in a live setting under gain just drives me nuts. I tried noise canceling pu's and the guitar just lost that growl and sweetness. Enjoy!!!:munch

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The only PRS model I've ever owned was the CU22 Soapbar. I'd love to try out a McCarty Soapbar Trem someday, but they're even rarer than the CU22 Soapies!

-Austin

4. Oasis.Guitar

Oasis.Guitar Member

I have a number of high end PRS's guitar but my Soapy is by far my favorite...

5. Bluewail

So last night was the maiden voyage for McSoapy. Running through a '66 Deluxe Reverb and using a Timmy or Zendrive up front it just sang!! As Mr Nicholson said "it makes me want to be a better player". Very inspiring axe indeed.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

McSoaps are among my favorite PRS's.:AOK

Note that there are several flavors.....the maple capped version, the standard solid mahogany (my fav to date), and the new Korina (hope to hear soon once Paul can ship Braz boards again).

7. Bluewail

Mine is the maple cap version with the wide/fat neck in my favorite color, black.

Are the McCarty Soapbars "weight -relieved"? Both this one and the McCarty with HB's I used to own are pretty light.

8. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have a CU22 that sounds great but the mcsoapy standard is outstanding, is possibly my best P-90 guitar, I have it on storage for a while, I though about selling it, remove the rust, put new strings and tried it with several amps and found out that in every amp was sounding great.

It is one of those guitars that actually complement any amp I was playing through... so I decided that it will not be going anywere and now I keep it out of storage... just love it!

9. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I tried to find a PRS for years that I liked. Never got on with the 24's, but ended up with a Custom 22, I liked the wide fat neck.

My dealer then rang me and said he had a Mcarty 22 with soapbars, and a rosewood neck (I think these have been discussed here before) anyway it blew me away. Sold the Custom 22, and still have it 9 years later, still the best PRS I have ever played.

10. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I have a McCarty Standard Soapbar with an Indian Rosewood neck. This is a very good combination of wood and electronics. One of the original batch of 26 made.

I like it.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Come on you guys!!!

:worthless

12. Betos

Betos Member

I hear you!

Betos' main gun:

[​IMG]

~Betos

13. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

flamed mahogany is amazing

14. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

I had one, loved the tone and neck but it was heavy and the body countour where my right arm hit was uncomfortable so I sold it. Great guitar though.

15. Betos

Betos Member

Thx... here's the back side

[​IMG]

16. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

17. blong

blong Member

Here's the one 02Singlecut is talkin' about. I bought her off of him and love her, on a very regular basis. This guitar smokes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And her little sister...

[​IMG]

Bob

18. stratlad

stratlad Member

Blue Wail: I'm another bay area fan of the mcSoapy. Mine has a vintage natural top (Maple cap like yours). It's the best PRS I've played, though I find the neck pu a but muffly. Small complaint thought - I usually play it in the middle pup position like you do.

Enjoy

19. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

curious - I'v heard complaints about the noise out of those pickups.... any feedback from the owners? (no pun intended)

20. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    I think the IRW Soapbar Standard is a great guitar. Slab of mahogany, coupla' P 90s with a rosewood neck. TONE!

I only sold mine because I had a custom build. I still miss a bit, though.