McCarty Trems from Willcutt Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jescobedo, Aug 15, 2005.

1. jescobedo

jescobedo Guest

I'm interested in purchasing a PRS McCarty. I own 2 strats and was interested in purchasing a Gibson Les Paul Custom. However, a friend of mine has a McCarty and, after playing it, I'm absolutely convinced I need to get one. A couple of things I did not like on his McCarty: no tremelo and no locking tuners. Then my research leads me to Willcutt Guitar; apparently, PRS made a special batch of McCarty Trems for them with locking tuners! The problem is price; they quoted me prices in the mid $3,000s (depending on whether it had a rosewood neck or not). Has anyone else purchased these guitars from Willcutt? Will they negotiate on their prices and if so how much? Does anyone have any major criticisms or praises of these McCarty trems? Thanks for the help!

2. Nigel

Nigel Guest

I also was interested in them until I got a price quote. I'm sure they're fine guitars but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for a guitar I haven't played with a feature set I haven't been able to review and do a tone-check on in person.

I guess you could try sticking one of these on a regular McCarty:

http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_name=TREMOLO TAILPIECES

[​IMG]

3. phretbored

phretbored Member

Check the Emporium there is a McCarty Trem waiting for you to bring home and the price is nice.

4. Supasso

Supasso Member

IMO, the McCarty Trem is overpriced. I don't see a reason why they cost almost a grand more than regular McCarty's other than that it's exclusive to one dealer.

A CU22 with a trem is a better choice, IMO, if you don't need the rosewood neck.

5. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Guys,
    Many of the Texas guys (Dave Grissom, Stephen Bruton) have had trems on their McCarty's for years. I ordered a Mc with trem from Garrett Park in '98 and they gave me a great price. It is my understanding that it has ALWAYS been an option to have a trem on a McCarty. Most places just not do not stock them. If you are willing to wait for one - probably 4-6 months - you can most likely get one for a good deal.

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Unfortunately PRS did drop the trem option from the McCartys back 2000 or 2001, about the same time they dropped the stoptail option on the CU-24s and the neck carve options on the CEs.

Willcutts is usually about the same at the other big dealers in price, but they kind of loaded these up - most have 10-tops and most have Brazillian fingerboards. Also, who knows what PRS charged them for bringing back the trem option (although PRS should have still had the CNC programs for both the McTrem body and neck). The last PRSi I owned was a McCarty, but I didn't really bond with it and have moved on, so these don't appeal to me as much as they might have and I have never priced them.

Now if they did a special run of CU-22 with "Regular" neck carves, I would be tempted!

Disclaimer - I have bought a few PRSi and other things from Willcutt's over the years; for me they are essentially "local" as they are about 1.25 hours from where I'm at on the east side of Louisville so I can go and try out as many as I want before I buy, and I'm okay with paying sales tax to be able to pick the one I like best from the inventory.

7. hear and play

hear and play Member

I think you're mistaken about McCartys having a trem option. While they did make them in the past, that option was discontinued some years ago.

I think Willcutt's is charging high prices because they're the only one who has or can get that guitar. I speculate that they commissioned a special run, and possibly paid extra for them.

8. Army of BONO

Army of BONO Member

yeah that's probably it. the trem pictured about would be more cost effective probably but you wouldn't be able to get the prs locking tuners for it since the headstock is too thick for them.

9. Outside of Willcutt's special run, I think David Grissom is about the only one that can order a McTrem and actually have it delivered...