McCarty vs Strat and Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MGuts, Apr 5, 2008.

1. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Hey everyone..I currently have a Les Paul and a Strat and was wondering if you guys think a McCarty would be a good replacement for both. The humbucking sounds of the Les Paul are much more important to me than the Strat, but a nice clean sound would still be nice to have. What do you guys think?

2. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I love my '75 LP...and I gotta admit man,
    no PRS I've ever heard really sounds exactly like it.
    I suppose some of it would depend on the pickups in the McCarty
    and how they compare to the pups in the LP you have. If possible, I would A/B your LP and a McCarty somewhere thru an amp you are familiar with...see if the difference is a big deal for ya or not.
    Don't get me wrong, I love PRS with a passion, but if it were me,
    I'd just ADD it to the collection rather then use it to REPLACE the collection. :D
    just my .02 - and all that to say, go hear one first before you chunk
    some change down for it...especially given how MUCH change a PRS is.

RGP

3. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

The McCarty will be in the same ballpark as a Les Paul, but not a Les Paul. Less bottom and top end, little more mid focused. Body style and scale length are part of that.

I'd say the McCarty will not feel, sound or behave anywhere near a Strat. The single coil tones are usable on a McCarty but more Tele. not Tele, but more like a Tele than a Strat.

McCarty's are very cool guitars,but if you are looking for a direct replacement it's probably not it. The PRS SC245 is a pretty good Les Paul.

4. wreckfan

wreckfan Member

I have a couple Les Pauls - a couple a Andersons (tele and strat) and a few years ago bought a very nice Mc Carty.....so nice that one of the guys at the guitar store bought it when I brought it back in. Nice quality guitar - nice setup and pretty useable sounds played great and sounded pretty good - but with that said it won't touch any of the other guitar sounds (strat/tele or lp).
    The other guitar player in the band tried one also and had his a very short time - opting for a "real" Les Paul instead..........

5. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

A PRS Custom 22 would be a better fit. The custom, with the 5 way rotary selector switch, is able to dial in a few single coil sounds, as well as some good humbucker sounds. Another, more expensive option would be the 513.

A Swampash Special or the Johnny Hiland will get you closer to the Strat. A Singlecut 245 or Santana will get you closer to the Les Paul.

As said earlier, this will get you in the neighborhood, but it would never be an exact replacement for the real thing.

-jm

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

McCarty's a great guitar, but much more in LP territory than Strat. If you need to cover both, an HSS Strat style is probably a better choice.

7. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Alrighty...sounds good. I don't need something that sounds exactly like a Paul though...just something that has a good humbucker chunk to it--not anywhere near as thin as a strat. Does it at least get a good overdriven/distorted tone like that?

8. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

You can't get a nice clean sound from your Lester? You're not trying hard enough.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If we're still talking about the McCarty, it's definitely in Gibson territory. Not quite as much bass as a Les Paul, more like a cross between and SG and a 335.

I would imagine a mahogany bodied HSS Strat would give you both sounds well. Also, I have a Strat with Samarium Cobalt pickups and S1 switching. The S1 switch lets you run two pickups in series and that gives a very convincing humbucker growl along with traditional Strat sounds.

10. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I can get a nice clean, but I thought that with the coil taps the McCarty comes with they might be better.

Something that comes to mind to me is like Andy Timmons or Joe Satriani, a nice overdriven crunch, but neither of those guys use Pauls. Could the PRS do something like that?

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I had a McCarty that I thought was a great guitar ,very well built, easy to play.
    The sound of the humbucker and single coil option were good.

I kept going back and forth on them.
    When I bought my first LP in a while I realised that I wasn't satisfied with the McCarty sound for either pu option.
    It's not a Strat or a LP by any means.

In and of itself it is a fine guitar but don't look for it to replace what you are used to hearing if that's what you like.

12. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

I currently have a McCarty, Les Paul Standard, SG, Ibanez AS83, and a Robert Cray strat. I think the McCarty sounds like a more focused Lester with some Tele snap. The McCarty replaced a Tele I had for years. If you're looking for more stratty tones I'd suggest checking out the Swamp Ash Special.

13. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I categorize my McCarty as having more mid range WHAP than a Les Paul but not near the girth, which is great for what I usually play.

As a Strat replacement, I don't think it does the same thing although the split pickups come in handy for some detailed rhythm picking. The tone is very different in my opinion.

14. stratlad

stratlad Member

Ever consider a McCarty Soapbar? I think that guitar, while being neither an LP nor a Strat, can get close to both.

15. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

If you like the 2 or 4 positions on a strat, you're not getting anywhere near em with a LP or a McCarty. It depends on what you like about LPs whether or not you'll miss a LP if you switch to a McCarty. If I were looking for a PRS to "replace" (approximate) both, I'd look into a Swamp Ash Special or a 513.

I love my McCartys, and prefer them to LPs, but they don't give me anything that I look for from a Strat.