McCon wah potentiometer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redroos, Feb 9, 2012.

1. redroos

redroos Member

Anybody besides me try this? I am pretty over the top with this custom CTS pot but would love to hear somebody else comment.

2. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

It's just a quality made 100K Icar-spec pot from what I've heard.

There are plenty of 100k Icar-spec pots on the market though. So you would be safe using practically any of them.

3. redroos

redroos Member

Yeah, I was somehow thinking it was going to be an ICAR pot but it turns out to be made by CTS just as described. I was running the latest ICAR pot, too, purchased from Area 51 last April. And I thought that that was a good sounding pot, better than the stock ICAR that was in my Clyde Deluxe made in 2006. And here the CTS is better built than the ICARs, visually anyway, although I never broke an ICAR pot. But it's the taper of the McCon pot that is the $$, build aside. It's a killer taper and it made my Clyde a much much better wah.

Eh, still looking for another user of the McCon pot. Anybody?

4. El Chiguete

El Chiguete Member

How did it go? did you try it out¿

5. Vulteroz

Vulteroz Member

@redroos: Clyde Deluxe does not use ICAR pot made by CTS. They come stock with Fulltone wah pot made by DI-YA

6. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

7. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

With some doing, I installed one in my Dunlop 95Q switchless wah by removing the mini hot potz pcb and hardwiring the McCono pot in. Big improvement over the Hot PotzII.
    It made my favorite wah even better so I'm 100% happy!
    Only problem is it gets scratchy pretty easy and I find I'm cleaning it with contact cleaner before every gig.

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

1/11/08

G.Teese: I think the sound makes a definite difference. I’ve been a working guitarist for going on 40 years now and there are just certain sounds and textures that I like. The CTS pots that I used to use, and almost everybody else still uses, have some quality control issues that I just couldn’t get worked out by their engineers. You know, the early-in-life scratchiness, the short life-span. Those are things that aren’t supposed to be there and weren’t there in earlier years. I’ve actually been using custom CTS pots since the mid ‘90’s so I know the problems that all the other folks are going to be facing. There are no work-arounds with the CTS pots. They simply are not as good as they used to be and I’ve been forced to drop them as a supplier. Superior quality is more important than loyalty to a component manufacturer. You’re only as good as your weakest part. My new RMC ROC-POT5 is a sealed pot, not open like the CTS, and is ultra low-noise. You’d be surprised how much noise is actually being generated by the CTS pots. I know I was surprised when I compared the two pots. The new pot should last the lifetime of the wah and is standard in all of the Joe Walsh Signature Wahs and all of the new white tread RMC wahs. Of course, RMC owners can contact me and send in their RMC wah for one of the new pots at a low price. The new pots will not be mailed out for DIY installation. That will be done only by me.

9. Vulteroz

Vulteroz Member

I bought 3 Whipple wah mod kits (Whipple inductor, CTS ICAR taper wah pot and couple of resistors)

ALL THREE wah pots where scratchy and noisy!:mad: ...and contact spray didn't helped much :-(

And one of those three pots measured only 82 k?!

That's the quality of brand new CTS wah pots for you.

10. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

I have used, and really like the McCon-o-wah pot.

11. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

^ Does he sell those to the general public,or only Teese wah owners?

12. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Quote from Quote you posted.

"RMC owners can contact me and send in their RMC wah for one of the new pots at a low price. The new pots will not be mailed out for DIY installation. That will be done only by me".

13. El Chiguete

El Chiguete Member

So can you guys explain what makes a pot important on a wah? and is the McCon a good upgrade or not? I LOVE the McCon wah but it¡s WAY out of my spendig list for now!!!

14. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

Ok, after having to clean this pot about once a week I decided to find out whats really going on. It turns out it was my OWN FAULT so chalk it up to user error.:bonk
    You see, I had touched up a small spot on my wah shell with a quick shot of acrylic laquer paint.When I removed the pot casing it turns out there was some paint residue on the tracks. I cleaned it thoroughly with acetone and Q-tips and the pot is silent now.
    I feel bad having bad mouthed a company that makes a great product, and the fault was my own all along. These pots sound outstanding, WAY better than the hot potz II that came stock in my wah.
    So my apologies to any body that was dissuaded from purchasing a McConno pot, and to McConno pot as well.:bow