Mccready, Gossard, etc..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scuba200ft, May 4, 2005.

1. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Question for you tone gurus, how would I go about getting Pearl Jam tones at a home, usable level? Not bedroom level mind you, but big home level. If money is not an object, what way do I go?

In searching here, someone mentioned the Aiken Tomcat, but it appears you have to be left one in a will. Trentino, same thing. A little flustered with this. I have the guitar part down (own a 1960 sunburst strat, and a 54 Tele, various LP's) but I am struggling with the amp end. I run a Bray modded 1987x through a hotplate, and out thru my 4x12 with greenbacks and get fairly close, but a little too much bite.

Also run a 68 bandmaster the same way, a bit closer yet, but no cigar.

Anyone have any ideas? Once again, money being no object.

Thanks!

Shawn

2. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

It all depends on what era of P.J. you're talking about. Another thing is that Mike and Stone both sound totally different than each other. Mike's sound had been a 1968 JMP 50 since about 1998. On the 2003 tour he used a trentino, but I think he still sounded like he was using the Marshall. On earlier tours he used a JCM800 head. He also uses the wah a lot on songs. I know he'll leave it on and play with it in a certain position. I think the Marshall 1987x should get you where you need to be. You might just need to do something to tame the highs a little bit.

Stone's tone has changed a lot through the years. Early PJ, it was Marshall JCM800's. Then it was Peavey Classic 50's. During 1994-1996 it was a Matchless DC30 all the way. From 1998-2000 it was a Savage Audio Blitz 50. 2003 saw Stone also using a trentino. It was strange how they used the same amp, but sounded totally different. Stone also switched to using a strat for the 2003 tour as his main guitar.

Here is what I've found out. You can come close, but you're never going to sound just like them unless:

1. You buy their exact same gear
    2. Dial it in just like they do
    3. Play exactly like they do

Enharmonic has a nice Blitz 50 for sale at a great price. For Mike's tone, I'd probably go with a Germino Lovo55 or Club 40 or some other kind of plexi clone. I just don't think an 18 watt amp will be fat enough for it.

I forgot to add that www.giventowail.com is an excellent site.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey MJ,

FYI, i heard a friend's Aiken Intruder 18 w/ a Keeley Tube Screamer, and nailed "Hail, Hail"...

:horse

4. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Thanks mjpisat!

I do indeed have a Blitz for sale...and though it's a "money's no object" amp new, I can give you a silly deal on mine. It has less than 20 hours on it, and the master volume will allow you to bring the rock at home (plus the half-power class A switch).

They (PJ) use a lot of Marshall-inspired gear. I think Ed is the only one who uses Hiwatts.

5. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

6. reaiken

reaiken Member

Hi, Shawn,

I'm sorry for the lack of availability. We'll be back up and running down here in FL, producing Tomcats sometime in the next month or two.

Thanks,

Randall Aiken

7. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

One thing is for sure, they do have a lot of cool guitars. I'd love to play Mike's 59 strat.

8. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Well, very good Randall. I will certainly be a buyer.

Tons of good help here...

Shawn

9. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Have been going to Given to Wail for a while, great tabs section.

Shawn

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

+1. Pearl Jam was the first rock band I was obsessed with and used to use that site religiously to learn riffs (helped big time when I was first starting out) :dude

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yup,

moi aussi... while i didnt have anything internet like growing up in the early '90s, watching them for the first time at Penn State at the CrowBar (RIP), was literally eye-opening to learning those riffs.

but MJ's been on a religious hunt for that tone! both MJ-man and i have gone back and forth looking for juuuuuuuuust the right amp to nail Stoney's tone on "Hail, Hail", hence the "dead horse" smiley... :p you need insight, he's the man to talk to. the guy's owned tons of killer amps, and he'll know best.

but the new tones on "Riot Act", especially on Save You and Get Right are pretty righteous, and while the Trentino does a killer job, i thought Frankenstrat's white Aiken Intruder nailed those tones to the wall!

12. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I've been a long time fan. I think Stone is very underrated as a player and a writer. He comes up with some of the best riffs ever.

They have played a couple of small shows lately and there have been some different amps on stage. I've seen Mike mostly use a Vox AC-30. I'm guessing they have their amps set up in their studio and don't feel like tearing it down for one off shows. Mike had a matchless the other night.

Here is Stone's set up from 1998:

[​IMG]

13. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Here is 2003. Trentino into a 4x12 with greenbacks. The Savage is a Glas 30 for back up.

[​IMG]

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

valid post, Al,

but what Les doesnt realize is that he's merely pointing out the obvious. of course, an amp recorded will never sound like its real true self. IMHO, it's the harsh ironic truth i.e. limitation of modern recording techniques. rock 'n roll recording has yet to grow up compared to its classical music brethren.

conversely, we're just looking for an amp that already puts out all those "recording artifacts" voiced into one neat little amp. which is a WHOLE other thing altogether. :) ;)

15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Jae, My response to Les in that thread had a similar thrust. If you're looking to cop someone's recorded tone, cloning their rig is a sure way to not get there.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

true, and really cant argue with that,

but truth be told, i've heard a few amps cop a recorded tone well enough for my ears. not quite the "robben" tone, but my that aiken did a good job of impersonating a smaller sounding trentino, my Fargen BB-40 did a nice mike bloomfield tone ala "Live Adventures..." etc. etc. etc.

i can still remember when i was in jr. high, and with my mexi strat, TS-10 tube screamer, and Fender H.O.T 1x10 amp, going, "dooooood, i just found the SRV tone!!" :p

17. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I stopped trying to nail any tones a little while ago. I just try to get in the ball park with some stuff. It's impossible to get it exactly. The problem with PJ is that they have gone through a lot of different tones on recordings and live.

I must say that my favorite tones on records have been Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Hail Hail, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays and Save You. I don't think I've ever heard anything like the intro on Save You. It rocks hard.

As far as live goes, I think Mike sounded best when using his 68 Marshall in 98, 00 was a close second. If you have any of the boots from 00, listen to his solo on Garden from Milan. It's great. Immortality in 98 had some great tones also on a the boots I've heard. Live on Two Legs shows it off also. One more great boot is the Monkey Wrench radio from 98. The Brain of J intro is one of my favorite Marshall tones of all time. It's brutal.

I think Stone sounded best in 03 with his Strat and Trentino. I can't belive how thick his strat sounded on rhythm parts.

Yes, I'm a geek. What can I say.

Joker, check your pm when you get a chance.

18. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I played a Savage Blitz 50 one day at Junior's Music and I could immediately hear why Stone and Mike used this amp at one time or another. To this day, it is still the best distortion tone I've ever heard. It's so incredibly thick, articulate, crunchy and it sings at the same time.... can't say enough about it.

I've never played a Trentino, but I would love to try one sometime... too bad they're not in production anymore.

19. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Thanks BR, can't wait to see new pics and new pedals being used!!