Mcfeely Custom Guitars 426 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Mark Wein, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

Hey guys!

I did a demo video for this McFeely 426 Hemi offset that belongs to a friend of mine last week...I asked big mike where the best place to share this was and he suggested this forum since Mark McFeely is a VERY small company luthier at this point :)

I own two McFeely instruments that I'll demo in the coming weeks but this guitar was fun because (besides the MOPAR theme with the Hemi orange paint and Lace Hemi pickups) it is not something I would normally order for myself...I'm a long time Suhr player who usually plays more "strat-like" guitars and commonplace pickup combinations. The Lace Hemi pickups are pretty neat in that they really don't sound like the PAF humbuckers that I usually prefer....kind of like a telecaster on steroids vibe to me...you can hear that in the video. The body is rather large but since I'm "not small" myself it actually feels comfortable to me.

The Thursday of Winter NAMM the owner of the guitar brought if for me to use at an even I host every year in my studio since we are just down the street from the Anaheim Convention Center. I had a gig that night so I actually used it for a set in a "working" situation through my own rig which was nice....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guitar sounds really big and filled space sonically in the trio cover band setting I was playing in that night. I also played it for a set at our jam a few nights later through my Deluxe Reverb...the Lace pickups seemed to like the Suhr amp a little better than the 1971 Deluxe with a Greenback in it.

Anyhow, let me know what you think of the video...I'm going to start doing more demos this year and any feedback is appreciated!

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Cool review and vid. I also remember your Korina one from the amp show. Cool stuff!

3. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

Thanks Mike! I'll have a video of that and my blue 440 model when McFeely sends it back next week. The Korina one looks pretty beat up because I requested it without a real finish (just tru oil) but it sounds pretty killer.

4. jaxn slim

jaxn slim Member

Excellent video and guitars!

5. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

Thanks Jaxn!

6. Kerouac

Kerouac Member

Loved the clip, love the colour, and oh yeah, I love my McFeely too.

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Are these designed by Mr. McFeely of Mr.Rogers TV Show fame? Couldn't resist!

8. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

You should do a video of yours!

lol. I'm sure he hears that a lot. :D

9. Kerouac

Kerouac Member

I definitely want to, but the ones I shot with my camera were pretty lousy... I did a whole series of pedal/guitar videos for my website that just sounded too crappy to post. I need to get a decent camera and some fancy software like you! :idea

I might do some audio clips though; I definitely have the rig for that.

10. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

That would be cool! You can even do decent videos with your iPad these days:

11. Kerouac

Kerouac Member

Is that iPad audio too? iMovie or Final Cut?

12. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

All iPad straight to YouTube IIRC.