McIntosh 60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Big B, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Big B

Big B Member

I'm cleaning out my uncle's house and I ran accross a pair of McIntosh 60 tube amps (hi-fi). I tried to find someone local to clean and test them but I didn't have any luck so I thought I'd check here. Anyone know of an amp tech in the Dallas area that works on this type of unit? I found one place online that is local, but they don't seem to be in business anymore.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Uh oh, those have radioactive transformer cores. You need to send them to me for proper remediation.
    :p

3. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

they're not worth fixing at all like said above. pm me your address and I will dispose of them properly for you; Ill only charge you $20 for the disposal fee :eek:

as for amp techs in dfw... I dont know any I looked around a couple of years ago, there is a guy in lake worth who fixes stuff out of his house.. but he is way overpriced, I think he wanted $200 just to look at an amp.

4. mlongano

mlongano Member

Send it back to McIntosh Labs in New England...they are still in business.

5. Big B

Big B Member

Yeah, I thought of sending them off...I just hate to do it because they are so damn heavy. I guess I might not have a choice.

6. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

how bout calling mcintosh to find a service rep locally?

7. Trout

Trout Member

There is really not much to keeping those amps working perfectly.

It might be a good Idea to head over to the AudioKarma forum, they had a load of McIntosh guys over there. They can most likely give you info on local techs and restoration guys.

I signed up there back when I was restoring my MC240, those guys were very helpful.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

BTW, not sure what year you have, but this PDF might be useful

Schematic MC60

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Amazing amps. Worth restoring.

Any amp tech should be able to help you, but finding an old radio/hifi shop would be best. Try contacting the people at http://www.nostalgicradios.com/ They are in Dallas and can probably help you find the right person.

9. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

I agree, a hi fi forum would be well qualified to answer this. The last time I sent one of my pieces back to Mac Labs, I was not as satisfied with the service the way I was the last time I sent a unit to them, which was about 20 years ago.

They have a good system though, they'll send you a box, which used to be free, but now you have to pay for them. It's a keeper.

You might also check out these guys, I think a lot of former Mac employees work here: www.audioclassics.com Go to their site and drool over their pre owned stuff. They have guitar stuff too!

10. Big B

Big B Member

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the advice.

11. shawntp

shawntp Member

Isnt McIntosh Labs out of Binghamton, New York (though they may be owned by some oversees entity these days). You could try them directly. Also there is a very active web forum for real high end stuff like this called Audiogon.com (post something about Bose and your account will get deleted - some of those guys have 100K stereo rigs) - you might dig up info on real street value - someone there might want them as-is for a premium.

12. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

You might throw in a call to Terrence Slemmons in downtown Dallas. He's mainly doing repairs and restorations of new and vintage guitar amps, but he may well know someone local who does audio tube amps. Or who knows - he may do audio as well.

Very good guy, highly regarded skills. Worth a call: here's his web site -

http://www.slemmons.com/Amp%20Repairs.html

=K

13. 83stratman

83stratman Member

As far as I know, Audio Classics in Vestal (Binghamton area) NY is THE place for vintage Mc restoration, parts and service. Might be worth a phone call.

http://www.audioclassics.com/

14. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Superb tube (and some integrated) amps. I had several back in the day. Produced a wonderful, warm tube sound with my MR78 Tuner and Magnaplaner speakers.
    What a great find. Get them fixed and enjoy.

15. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Yep, McIntosh is right down the road from me in Binghamton, NY. I don't know if they still do repair there but Audio Classics has enough vintage McInstosh stuff to bring an audiophile to their knees.

16. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Your uncle has great taste in gear. Those MC60 monoblocks are about as much power as you could ever need. I had a similar exerience when my grandad passed; found an MC30 (from when he was running mono), an MX-110 tube preamp/tuner and an MC240 power amp. I didn't have another MC30 so I sold it and kept the other two stereo pieces. They're in time-capsule shape! What a find. And to think I never knew my grandad (Daddy Bill) was into hi fi.

17. Faustine Amps

Faustine Amps Member

Nice Find! Those MC-60 monoblocks are built like a tank.

A retiring engineer friend at my day job gave me a MC-60, MC-40, and a Heathkit W5M (along with some other retro hi-fi stuff) before he moved back to Jersey several years ago. He didn't feel like packing them up (too heavy). The only restoration required for the Macs was some capacitors. The tall cap cans were still in excellent shape and operating perfectly. I sold the MC-60 and traded the MC-40 for some 1962 Fisher Tube Hi-Fi gear (which I restored and put in my main listening room). You should get them restored and put them to use, they sound amazing with the right preamp and speakers.

As long as the transformers are in good shape, any decent amp repair guy should be able to service them. The circuits are very basic and the schematics are available in several online locations. If you need the schematic or the owner's manual, PM me and I'll set you up.

Gotta admit, I'm a little green with envy.;)

Regards,
    Tim Gregoire