McInturff comaprisons?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by free_jazz, Jan 13, 2006.

1. free_jazz

free_jazz Member

A query to all McInturff owners:
    I've never seen or heard one in person. Are they most similar in feel and tone to some of the PRS models? Do any of them approach the Les Paul in feel and tone (Taurus)?

(Granted, they're all gorgeous... but I'm interested in blindfold feel and tone)

Any info appreciated. Just looking for a reference point to support the eye candy habits.
    Cheers.

2. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Hmmm, a tough one. A Taurus will KILL a CU22 & all but the very best McCarty's. Royals will put any HB I or II to shame.

Dude, tough call. TCMs are their own 'thing', in a way. A chambered guitar is not gonna sound like a solid body is not gonna sound like a semi hollow & so on & so on. I can guarantee you that any TCM you play will feel "dead sexy". I've played hundreds, literally & there were no duds in the bunch.

For real, if you're looking for a Les Paul killer or something to 'top' a PRS, look no further than a Taurus. If you dig the semi hollow thing, grab a Royal. Royals live for altered tunings & the more gain/volume you throw at them, the more they sing. Into H/S/S Strats? An Empress will kill them. Looking for a 'desert island' guitar that'll put Les Pauls to shame & cop a nice 335 vibe? Try to find a used FLE.

Okay, all that said, tone & feel are very subjective. I'm a die-hard Gibson guy & deffo dig PRS (former owner of a CU22 & McRW) & a TCM will not leave you 'wanting'. Playability is insane. Fit/finish? Out of this world. Tone? Terry goes out of his way, to ensure his guitars fit a particular sonic niche & his R&D is money WELL spent.

Tip- pick one up used. Re-sale on them is weak, unfortunately. If you dig it, you scored a hella deal. If you don't dig it, you can turn it without taking a bath.

3. free_jazz

free_jazz Member

Thanks for the immediate and unbelievably thorough response! That's practically a "thread-killer."
    1) Where do the Glory and Monarch (P-90) fit in the Tone & Feel Spectrum?
    2) And the necks in general: deep, medium, or narrow profile?

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

My main gigging guitar for the last 3-4 years has been a Taurus Standard.
    I 've only played 4 or 5 PRS's and thought they were dead and played like poo. My Taurus is banged up and very well broken in and I wouldn't trade it for anything I've ever played. The original pickups sound killer in the split positions, but are a compromise as HB's so to get a bit more LP vibe I put some Voodoo 59's in it and it's as good as I think it can sound.

Terry makes wonderful guitars.

5. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Supporting Member

I've owned a couple McInturffs, and really wanted to like them, but I much prefer the feel and tone of the PRS' I've had.

6. Merlin

Merlin Supporting Member

I have a Monarch, Taurus Standard and Taurus Custom, and had a Glory Custom for awhile as well. Terry's necks have a super comfortable broken-in feel, as good as anything else I have. I'm comparing to my Tyler, Anderson, a Suhr, a Melancon, Bakers, and Hamers. Workmanship and attention to detail are second to none. You get a broad tonal pallette to work with as well.

They, along with Hamers, are one of the best deals going, very undervalued in the used market. You can't go wrong buying something of this quality at thes prices. Good luck man!!

Folks have said the Taurus cannot cop a Les Paul tone exactly; that's true. They're chambered for one thing but remember they have a longer scale length too. I spoke to Gene Baker a couple of years ago about one of my Bakers, and he much prefered the tone of his own longer scale B-1's : tighter bass, harmonicly richer, etc.

I sold a PRS and kept the Taurus because I thought the Taurus sounded better and more versatile than that guitar.

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Sell those Useless PRS Guitars! Buy a McInturff! You will never regret it!

PRS Guitars are coated in Polurethane = Yuk!
    Terry McInturff Guitars are Coated in Real Nitro Cellulos Laquar = Yeah!

PRS Guitars Dont have an Identifying Tone = Lame
    Terry McInturff Guitars Have a Unique and Individual Voice = WoW!

PRS guitars are Made by Machines in a Big Slave Labor Factory = Thats awefull!
    Terry McInturff guitars are Made by Hand with love and Care = Awesome!

8. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I am currently playing

TCM Taurus Standard
    PRS Custom 22
    Gibson Les Paul

Taurus has the best tone, best feel, best build quality. (subjective of course) but it's the one for me. I bought the Taurus 3 years ago and have not bought a guitar since. Mostly because I can't find anything I feel is better no matter what I try.

If you are looking for a more Les Paul flavored sound try Hamer. The Monaco Elite is fantastic and is much closer in tone to a Paul.

9. xroads

xroads Member

I have a Taurus Standard, no tremolo, and swapped the PUs for WCR Darkbursts: I cannot think of anything missing, and it has been my main guitar for almost 2 years now. Both clean and distorted, I get wonderful tones. Playability, resonance, and harmonics are incredible.
    The comparison to Les Paul sound is difficult though: the TCM has a Strat scale, and is chambered. If you roll back the the tone control to 4-5, it gets close to a Les Paul sound, however, it won't replace one completely.
    IMHO, it beats any PRS that I have played so far, and is a very underrated axe.

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Tone is very subjective. The 4 PRS guitars I've owned were very sweet sounding axes. The McInturffs I played were well made, nice playing guitars but those pickups sounded dreadful to me; brittle and edgy with no warmth.

11. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    How Romanesque.

PRS guitars are finished in thin poly. I'd wager one couldn't tell the difference if one had a PRS finished in nitro.

PRS guitars sound like PRS guitars. Every bit as unique and individual as any other make.

PRS guitars are rough cut by CNC machines. The rest of the fit and finishing is accomplished by human hands under less than slave-like conditions. Were you to ask the employees how they like their jobs, the response would be positive. I know. I asked several. They are quite enthusiastic about their work.

McInturff makes great guitars too, but an honest appraisal would be 'if you want a Les Paul tone, buy a Les Paul'.

:rolleyes:

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

This is nonsense and Terry, to his credit, would be the first to say so.

13. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yes he would! He's a stand up guy.

14. michaelg

michaelg Member

Its a shame when people make statements like this:NUTS

15. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

If the Zodiacs are too thin/edgy for you, go for the TOLs. They are incredible in my FLE, tho that guitar is, in and of itself, a killer guitar, so how much is pickups & how much is the wood/design.

'Standard' neck carve is similar to Gibson's 'Slim Taper'/60's carve. the '57' carve feels a touch wider & fuller, to me; similar to a PRS W/F. The 'Mild V' is chunky & full & COMFORTABLE (I like baseball bat necks).

Terry's chambered guitars have their own mojo going on, as Terry has put TONS of R&D into his chamber size & shape. The solid bodies are going to sound very similar to your usual solid mahogany or mahog w/maple cap guitar. But, Terry is extremely picky about the wood & with his guitars, you're only getting the best lumber available, that rings/taps where Terry wants it to & will NOT sound like a piece of wet cardboard. Terry's also got a little voodoo going on in his necks that contribute greatly to the sound, i.e. EXTREMELY stiff (& therefore VERY stable (rock solid)), resonate like mad, yet don't impart any harshness/brittleness to the tone.

Again, pick up a used one. You won't be disappointed & if you're like most folks, you'll end up with several.

And, if this kinda thing matters to you, Terry is one of the nicest, kindest, coolest people out there, bar none. A truly beautiful soul who pours his heart & soul into his work. He's also a ripping guitarist, a joy to watch on stage. He's also a pretty good drummer (MORE cowbell!) ;)

PS- I've currently got an all mahogany, 3 P90 Royal ('57 carve), FLE #5 (trem, Mild V) & have a Polaris on the way. Stupidly sold a Polaris Pro a few years ago & regret it.

16. xroads

xroads Member

To be honest, I think the PUs are a weakness of the TCMs. If I am correct, they are all Di Marzios, and there are better ones out there. I have read from quite a few people about PU changes in TCMs, and I was about to sell my Taurus, as rickd. writes, but the PU swap moved this guitar from sitting in the case to being my #1.

xroads

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I have to agree on the DiMarzio issue, but Terry has also used the Voodoo pickups from Peter Florence as well as SD Custom Shops in his Terrycasters. A definite improvement, IMHO. Pickup choice is a rather subjective issue, but one thing is that one will rarely find a better crafted instrument than those bearing Terry's name! ;)

18. Auge

Auge Member

coming from PRS (mccarty) and MMJP i began my TCM story with a new glory std a year ago. since now i have and FLE, taurus, empress and a few polarises.
    terrys guitars have an own spirit which is difficult to describe for me. some pickup solutions are not my taste too and i agree with carl that TOLs are great. but i'll test a SD JB in my empress when its shipped to me. we'll see.
    try to find a used one as carl said but be warned. after your first TCM you want more of them...the're GASing

19. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Long in the tooth Silver Supporting Member

I have a Polaris Pro, nothing but quality..however the Zodiacs do not sound good to me...I put Duncan JB and 59 in and had a very good improvement clean and overdriven..but I'm gonna put some P-90s in there and see what happens...but great quality guitar

20. hear and play

hear and play Member

About the scale length ... it's 25 1/4 -- longer than a Gibson, longer than a PRS and most Carvins, but a little shorter than a Strat.