McInturff & McNaught

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macaroni, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm planning to get a new custom made guitar, so I've been checking out various high end builders, Suhr, Grosh, McInturff, McNaught, Thorn, etc, etc.

So far, style-wise, I'm leaning towards either a McInturff (Glory Custom) or McNaught (Phoenix). For you McNaught owners, is there really a big differnce in tone due to the special neck assembly he uses?

Any other thoughts or comparisons between those guitars?

Thanks.

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I don't own a McNaught, but I've owned 5 TCM's. Terry has a proprietary neck design/assembly as well. There will be a greater difference between neck carves and tones between the two than there will be between quality of construction. Both are excellent in that regard :)

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Hey Ron,

How are you?
    I don't own either of those builders guitars, and I'm sure they are fine instruments. I do have a Thorn on order and have seen dozens in person. They are amazing, and he's local to you. I really like working with a local builder,and Ron is the best. Give him a call, a very cool guy.

If his stuff is not exactly what you are looking for, nothing really lost. I can't imagine him not being able to build you a dream guitar.

fwiw,

Larry

4. enharmonic

Thorn builds one hell of a guitar. You can't go wrong there, either. :)

5. matte

matte Senior Member

Not for nothing but:
    If I wanted a double cut carved top set neck guitar, I'd go directly to Gene Baker. Single cut carved top guitar? Johan Gustavsson or Saul Koll. Bolt on? Tyler.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Not a bad builder mentioned in this thread.

<partial to thorn myself>

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Hi Ron. I own a McNaught semi-hollow (no f-holes) Doublecut. The build quality is truely flawless. I love the neck contour...kinda like a 59 LP with a very subtle V to it. Among the best I've ever used. The guitar simply sounds and feels lush. I'll preface my neck design comments by listing a few of my other guitars to add perspective. Some are my 2nd or 3rd of a particular model, as to find the finest examples. A '01 R4, '01 R8, '04 R9, 2 Fender CS (relic) Teles, 3 Fender CS Strats, Fender Masterbuilt Jazzmaster and Strat/Tele hybrid, '01 Gibson Historic Korina V, and several others on that level. Those I still have all share those characteristics we all seek...resonance, sustain, etc., and lots of character. I've owned FAR more, since sold. The McNaught sustains like few others. I won't say a different league, but it is different. It kind of blooms, and seems to hold that initial volume longer than others...if I could graphically describe it, the steepest slope of decay comes later, with a longer peak plateau. I've gotta believe that the 'neck-through' design is a major factor here. So, yes, there is a difference in his guitars. Better? Can't say that, as the others all have a unique character and qualities that distinguish them from the rest, but no doubt about it, McNaught builds a beautiful and superior product. It's obvious from the moment you strum the first chord. And yes, they are gorgeous instruments, but way more than just another pretty face. AC

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hi Larry...

The Thorns are beautiful for sure, but I think they may be beyond my budget of $3,000+/-. Same with a Baker and Gustavsson. I do want a carved, arched, flame maple top, double cut.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Thanks AC. Those are exactly the kind of observations I'm looking for. I know all good quality guitars have their own mojo, and it's not a question of 'better', but rather, which one will deliver the things I'm looking for.

I really like the look of the Phoenix. I hope I can get one for around $3K.

I'm going to use a P90 neck and P90 middle (probably Vintage Vibe), with a WCR Goodwood for the bridge (with coil split). I haven't seen a guitar configured like that. It's sort of a souped up S-S-H config. I'm also going to use the Skyway Vibrato.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Gee, Ron. They go for quite a bit more than that...closer to $4M new, if not higher. I'd suggest looking at the used market. I've seen a few beauties here on GP in your price range, but you've gotta be willing to alter your specs. You can always switch pickups to taste, and people usually 'baby' their McNaughts, so all used examples I've seen have been pristine. I bought mine from Michelle at Boutique Guitar Exchange, and Willcutts carries them as well. Call for a quote, and check those sites for used pieces too. Good luck! AC

11. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

You might be surprised. Check out the calculater on the thorn site.

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Yah, I knew that. I've got my eyes out for a used one.

13. drezdin

drezdin Member

Dealing with McNaught made me never want to have a guitar built for me again. Luckily Saul Koll changed that.

14. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a number of McInturffs (Taurus, Glory, T-caster) and McNaught Phoenix and Orion double diamonds. Surprisingly not close for me or any of the pros who compared them.

McInturff.

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

So which did you prefer, and what were the issues?

16. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Of course the best thing is to try them out since what works best is a matter of personal taste. I've tried McInturffs and Bakers and didn't bond with either. I've been gigging with a McNaught for almost 4 years now and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. I've owned Custom Shop Gibson's, PRS, and Fenders and Gibsons from the 50s and 60s all of which were great guitars but the playability, tone, and build quality of the McNaught puts it at the top of my list.

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

As Ron asked...in what way? Hard to fathom that 'it wasn't close'. McNaughts are spectacular guitars, perhaps not everyone's ideal, but undeniably good. Funny, I feel exactly the same about McInturff. Had one for a brief spell, and can't say a bad thing about it. But for me, it somehow was missing that special character...a distinguishing trait that I need in all of my guitars. It did everything I asked of it, and was very well built, but sounded like so many others. All good, mind you, but a bit generic. My McNaught OTOH, has that unique sustain, and a general thickness of tone, that's not quite like any others I've owned. The closest (that I used to own) was a PRS Santana 2, another luxury ride, but the DTM seems to exhibit a slightly more dynamic tonal spectrum. AC

18. Brian Yarbrough

Brian Yarbrough Supporting Member

I live near McNaught and McInturff (and know Terry personnally). I have also met Ron Thorn and played his stuff. I can say you can't go wrong with any one. I own a custom one off McInturff. I also played one he made for Clapton. He put as much effort in mine as he did Eric's. I would never part with the McInturff. I do have Harmonic Design p-90's in it. I know Terry has expanded his pickup selection since mine which I am glad to hear because I have never been a Dimarzio fan. Terry's guitars are however incredible in quality and ring like no other I have played.

19. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Mcinturff's are the most attainable on the used market. A nice set neck Taurus can be had for about $1500.

20. enharmonic

Shhhh...JP! You're giving away the best kept secret in used guitars :D