McInturff Taurus Custom

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Daren Anderson, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

I was hoping to get some feedback on McInturff Taurus Custom guitars. I'm considering a trade + cash for one. What is a fair price for a mint 2001 Taurus Custom? The nice part is that I will get a chance to try it out prior to finalizing the trade.
    What I would really like is feedback from people who have played this guitar on what they thought of it. And if anyone can give me ballpark estimate on what a fair price would be. The seller of the guitar I am looking at wants $2750.00. He said he would consider my suhr standard and $900.00 cash.

The other option I am considering is to sell my suhr and keep saving to get a Thorn that I have been interested in.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Daren

2. clarkram

clarkram Member

You might want to post this inquiry at the TCM Forum, I had a Taurus Std for awhile, not the Custom and don't know the price difference between the models.

Used Stds go for 1300-1700. How much premium for a Custom? It will probably have a highly figured top, different inlays? and other appointments. But is that enough to justify the cost difference?

3. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Daren,

Taurus Customs listed for about $6000 new, and had a "street price" in the low $4000 range. Terry didn't make a lot of these guitars new because it was the top of the line model, so they don't come around on the used market every day.

If the guitar is in mint condition as you said and has a nice top, I don't think $2600 - $2800 is unreasonable and it sounds OK to me. $2750 is not a "steal" price, but he's not being unreasonable. Personally, I might offer him $2400-2500 and see if we could do a deal. But if your trading something, you might have to make some concessions if you can't just buy it for cash.

4. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

Thanks, guys. I sure appreciate it.

Daren

5. HHB

HHB Member

price aside, the Taurus is an amazing guitar

6. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I see that the Suhr goes on ebay for a bit over $2000 you could walk away damn close to even. Good luck

7. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

I have owned and played several Mac's. Terry is a great guy but I always found them overly bright (could be the graphite truss rod ? pickups ? scale lenth ?). Never really loved the body shape, and his PUP's especially the mini hums kinda sucked, great fretwork but the scale lenth never felt right, awesome finish work, not so good resale, me I'd pass on it, mostly because none of them had the tone. My 2 cents !

8. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

My impression of the 3 or 4 McInturfs I played was well made, nice playing guitar in desparate need of a pickup change. And this is from someone who has never changed pickups in 42 years of playing guitar.

9. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I owned a one-off Zodiac a number of years ago. It was a superbly finished guitar. Amazing master grade quilt top, double stain, stellar inlay and fret work.

It had the '57 neck carve, which I never really bonded with. This was before Terry came out with the Mild V carve.

I had the chance to play a few Taurus Standards at a couple different local guitar shops. A friend of mine also owned a Sportster. No doubt, Terry makes a fine instrument, and is a very nice guy to speak with.

The Taurus Custom did, indeed, list out at about $6,000, and typically went for $4,000 - $4,200 new on the street. Unfortuantley, I have not seen/played one in person.

One thing to keep in mind is that, while Terry makes a very very high quality instrument (beautiful fit and finish work, great fret work, etc.), the resale on his guitars is pretty low. As other posters have said, the used price for Taurus Standards is not that good, relative to their new prices.

To each his own though - as long as you have the chance to play, hear and feel it before doing the deal, then you can make up your own mind. You are the only one that knows whether or not you are buying the guitar as a "keeper" - or whether you need to be cognizant of resale price in case you want to sell it in the future.

My instincts tell me that the guitar will be beautiful, and you will love the way it looks/plays. If you don't dig the pickups, you can always swap those out. It will likely come down to whther or not you need to be concerned about future resale price.

By the way, I would try and sell your Suhr, and go after the guy with a cash deal at a price somewhat less than he is asking.

10. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

you might need to go check over at chrisguitars.com right now he has a lot cheaper range than what you are looking at. I have 6 Mc's right now my favorite is the Royal and I dont see that changing. Just dont look for these things to ever go up or do anything, I just wish I heard of Baker or more intently heard of him instead of letting it go out the other ear when I was buying these things.

11. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I've never played a TCM (although they look really nice and I've heard good things! :)) but if you're interesting in checking out a Thorn there are a couple of guys out in Cali that might let you try theirs out. I'm on order for a Thorn and personally, if you like the body style, you should get a Thorn. They PLAY and SOUND amazing, I can't wait for mine! :-D

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I've never been disappointed with a TCM. I've owned 2 taurus Standards, Two FLE's, a Polaris, and a Gemini. Money crunches led me to sell all but one of my FLE's. Terry will do short or long scale. I do not like Zodiac's. His TOL's are much more my speed. The Taurus Custom is a tremendous instrument, but it probably has Zodiac's. If that's the case, a pickup swap would be assured for me personally. Fralins sound especially good in TCM's...so do TV Jones TV Trons...so do Tom Holmes. What I'm saying is dump the Zodiac's, and you will be in very good shape.

The neck carve is my favorite. I love the mild V, and the Taurus Custom neck carve is close. To get a better made instrument, you'd have to spend double the money that a used Taurus Custom will run. His quality is on par with Thorn, Grosh, and Baker for certain. When you're talking about that "level" or "grade" of instrument, it's really more like splitting hairs.

13. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

14. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

It seems to me that the loss has already been taken on a $6000 guitar selling for around $2400. You're not going to take a bath on resale at that price. I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger on that Custom.

15. enharmonic

FWIW, Peacock is a premium finish for a TCM guitar...so that Peacock Taurus is even more of a steal than initially thought.

16. Felipe

Felipe Member

I'd say the Custom is just a pickup change away from perfection.
    Mine is like this right now, but I've done the swap on my Taurus Std (WCR Darkbursts) and the improvement on tone is huge. You won't find better finish or workmanship, you might find at the same level. I'll probably put a trio of Crossroads on my Custom.
    http://www.microcity.com.br/felipe/McInturff/Taurus%20Custom-2.jpg

The Zodiacs are crap. (I own 10 TCMs and I'm about to discharge every Zodiac pickup I find here). But so are the Classic 57s...

Other than the crappy pickups, the guitar itself is piece of art, specially the neck carve on the Custom, the best of all TCM carves, IMHO.

ITOH, I also own 6 Suhrs and I can't find a better bolt-on instrument around, but in this case, I love the V60s. Some people don't.

But the Suhr is a much easier guitar to find, and buy, in the used market. A Taurus Custom for 2200 or 2400 you won't find everyday.
    I'd say, go for it, spend a couple hundred more on decent pickups, and I'm sure you'll be really pleased.

17. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

Thank you all for the terrific feedback. It is exactly what I was hoping for. I am going to meet the guy and try out the guitar and make the decision after that.

Thanks again,

Daren

18. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I agree with almost everything said here. My Taurus is the best playing LP style guitar I've ever owned. All they need are a pickup swap and they're damn near perfect.

19. Merlin

Merlin Supporting Member

Go for it man. I own a TCM Monarch, a Taurus Standard, and the Prototype II Taurus Custom, and I also owned a Glory Custom. For the record, i also currently have a Tyler, an Anderson HDTC, a Grosh Bent Top custom, 2 Baker B1's, 3 Hamers, and a Melancon. I've recently sold PRS's, Melancon's, Suhrs, etc. They are all great guitars.
    In my opinion, TCM workmanship is second to none, and I think trashing the pickups has gotten to be a popular (and mindless) thing to do. Likewise with the scale length.

I agree that resale isn't great, but that means you can buy a helluva guitar at a great price. Same with the Hamers and Melancons. Buy it, listen to it and make your own decision about the tone. A lot will depend on what you play through. Like someone said, it's easy to change pickups. The Taurus is one of my favorites!

20. enharmonic

I've owned as many TCM's as you. My critique of the Zodiac's is not mindless. I take exception to that assertion.