Mcnaught

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by snoopy1@isoc.ne, Nov 10, 2005.

1. snoopy1@isoc.ne

snoopy1@isoc.ne Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone heard from The Mcnaught guitars. Thanks Mike

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

yes. Well made, solid instruments like PRS private stock at less $$

Marty s Horne likes this.
  3. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

+1:dude

4. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I picked one up a month ago and it is amazing. They are expensive but I think they are great values. The workmanship, playbility, and tone are great.

5. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Yes you you can:AOK :)

6. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

Been gigging with my McNaught Phoenix for the last 3 1/2 years and it is my favorite axe. Great build quality, attention to detail, killer tone with lots of prescence, and one of the absolute best playing necks I've ever played in 42 years.

7. I know Mike/Snoop knows about McNaught guitars. I beleive he owns or had owned more than one.

I think maybe he means has any one heard from the Dave's or the shop? I haven't heard a thing. They update the web site ocassionally. Lance/Ray's guitars hasn't posted any new stock in a while... still no word on the hollowbodies they announced on the web a while back...

so I think things have been pretty quiet, but I still love my G5!

8. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

I kinda thought he is the same snoopy from BAM.

9. snoopy1@isoc.ne

snoopy1@isoc.ne Silver Supporting Member

Yep that would be me. I havent heard from them in a while I know some people is trying to just wondering. Thanks Mike

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Spoke with both recently (2 Daves). Went over some last minute pickup changes in my incredible hollow double-cut. Decided on the Voodoo 59s w/o splitter. Got it. It kills. So thick, there's no space for anyone else in the room when I play it! Those guys build some seriously spectacular guitars. And I agree with others in that while expensive, they give more bang-for-the-buck than others that run even higher s/a PRS private stocks.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It's a true hollow, as it's hollow throughout, not selectively like his chambered pieces. No cut-outs, mahogany body w/a quilted maple top (I call it a '12' top), and it's quite light at just 7 lbs. The 'hollowness' definitely comes through in the tone, as do the enhanced dynamics of hollow bodies. I'd be glad to email pics, but I'm a dinosaur and don't know how to post here. Let me know. AC

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

No. That's what I actually meant when I said no cut outs. I went back to the description on my invoice, and McNaught calls it a semi-hollow body. I guess the only true hollow bodies are those s/a jazz boxes and the like. This is hollow in the same sense as others s/a Anderson Hollow Ts, etc. The top, sides and back are quite stout, certainly thicker than true hollow bodies, and even 335 types, but it is essentially hollow throughout. The tones bridge the gap between 335 types and solid bodies.

13. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Go to http://photobucket.com/ and register. It`s free and you can transfer your pics there to host and post it here. I`d like to see that guitar of yours.:D

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks kealiikai, I'll give it try. BTW...my favorite thing about McNaughts? As perfect as they are, they're almost completely hand built. Nothing wrong with CNC machines, et. al., but I like the idea that more traditional methods can still result in such precision. AC

15. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

+1:dude

16. Email me the pictures if you want. I can host and post them.

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

yeah ..... I just got my semi hollow, very lively guitar, adds a little more warmth in the low midrange I think

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That's exactly right. And it does so while maintaining terrific clarity and definition.

19. kealiikai

kealiikai Member