McPherson Acoustics....

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jtodds, May 31, 2008.

1. jtodds

jtodds Member

Hey all,
    I spent a couple of hours playing a few different McPherson acoustics yesterday and was really taken with them, one specifically.
    I really liked a Macassar ebony with Bearclaw spruce top, in 5.0 depth.
    Compared to a couple of other models with different wood configurations I enjoyed the bigger more resonant lower octave the Ebony was bringing to the table.
    All in all I was captivated by the guitar. I was NOT in the market for an acoustic - I was there looking more for a Selmer style guitar. I just happened to pick it up cuz it looked different and interesting. It was Mondolin Brothers so for those who have been there you know how that goes - it is like a fantasy shop.

Any opinions on these guitars? Ebony as a wood choice in acoustics?
    I like the forward thinking apparent in the design conversationally experience of how the guitar resonated and sounded mattered more.
    I come as a HD-28 player with an ever growing passion for acoustic instruments. I can see where maybe the McPherson, with as I perceived it a warmer full rounder tone might not suit some players but it really clicked for me at least in the one setting.
    But boy are they expensive.....
    DOes the bolt on neck matter much for this type of guitar at this expense?
    My knowledge base for acoustic instuments is deficient due to my many years as a solidly solid body guy.
    Thanks all,
    Jason

2. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I have four McPhersons now. And every one has shown superb workmanship. All of them have extremely stable necks. Only problem I have had in is one of them has a loose battery inside. It really only needs someone to reglue the battery pouch to the wood but since I don't play that one through an amp I can't be bothered.

As to price, well everything is subjective. Compared to say Martin they are actually inexpensive. I know, they start at over $4000 now. But they are ALL made with top quality tonewoods and attention to detail. I have one of Flamed Redwood top and Brazilian RW body and it cost over $9000. Yet, how much is anything with Braz from Martin?

I'm not knocking Martin either. Like them too. I just think McPherson is on to something and doing it better than other acoustic makers. The only possible exception I have experience with is Collings. Hard to knock their work.

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

McPherson Acoustics are simply incredible instruments.

4. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

If you can afford it, buy it. I love my McPherson. She's a 5.0 XP, quilted maple with bearclaw Sitka top. Dumbfounding.

5. jtodds

jtodds Member

I did....
    4.0 Macassar Ebony/Redwood, INCREDIBLE guitar. Will post pics soon.

6. littlepicker

littlepicker Member

What tonal qualities are Mcpherson's known for? Are they loud?
    What does one with a flamed redwood top and Brazilian back and sides sound like?

7. Irreverent

Sounds like about $10,000!

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

McPherson's are fairly loud and sustain well. I find them to be really even from note to note. To me, they feel kind of like a grand piano - they are built solidly and have a refined character to their sound. The Redwood topped guitars are my favorite, particularly with some sort of rosewood back/sides.

Bryan

9. Irreverent

Now WHERE are those pix???

Too busy playing her, aren't you?

Cool!

10. jtodds

jtodds Member

Thanks!
    I will post pics tomorrow, she is a looker.