McPherson guitars?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jrm, Apr 18, 2007.

1. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Here is the 4.5 I used to have.
    Rosewood back, Spruce top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Member

You know when I try out the various McPhersons, tonally you don't have to buy high end to get excellence. I am a bit of a NUT wanting two braz guitars but the second one with the redwood I HAD to have. And yes, it sounds great. Of course when talking high end, heck, the entry level McPherson is now $4000.

But the standard EIR with spruce sounds fantastic. My Paua Rosa (which I think is a type of rosewood) with spruce top is the one I play most. And will use at open mics from now on. It really projects.

I only wish my talents as a guitarist matched the quality of instruments I own. Maybe in a few mre years with some hard work. In the meantime I shall enjoy them :D

3. royd

royd Member

jrm,

as for dealers... I really highly recommend Cathedral Music n Troy, NY. http://www.cathedralmusic.com/index.html
    It is a small shop with a smaller inventory but Klem only sells great guitars at each price point. According to the website, he has 3 McPhersons in stock now. There is also a Lowden F that caught my attention ;)

4. r9player

Klem is TOP NOTCH!!

5. lchyi

lchyi Member

McPhersons have some interesting bracing work underneath. It's almost like cathedral buttresses. I'd really like to try one out one day, but for now the Taylor GS will have to do :)

6. el_cid

el_cid Guest

Where is Gregovertone? He and I worked at a McPhearson dealer. The guy who used to manage the store makes the bodies of the McPhearsons, the owner used to tell everyone that came in the store that.

7. David Collins

David Collins Member

What was the store owner's name? I built prototypes for McPherson for about three years in the late 90's, and have seen the design evolve quite dramatically. There have certainly been some major changes since my last workings with them, which was about seven years ago. I'm kind of sad now that I didn't hold on to all the blueprints and design changes through the early R&D phases. Looks like they probably would have been worth something someday. I still have about three or four old prototype boxes that we smashed up and discarded though, but they have been resigned to occasional use for patch wood.

8. mrkz1974

mrkz1974 Member

I own a Mcpherson 4.5 Brazilian Rosewood/Adirondack Red Spruce guitar. It has a custom 12th fret inlay (I still have not seen any other McPherson with fret inlay), and Matt McPherson's own signature on the inside label (I was told this was the first time he did that).

I wanted to share the story of how this became such a special guitar with you:

I contacted McPherson directly to spec a guitar out in January 05; it was Striped Madagascar Ebony for the sideas and back and a Rosewood top. After 6 months they had messed up 2 times; one time, the original piece of wood I picked out was sanded too thin, and the other because they had discovered a microscopic crack on the back undetectable to the human eye and they did not feel comfortable about the guitar's integrity to be given to a customer!! I called my POC at McPherson and told him I had changed my mind, was frustrated and was going to purchase a Taylor instead. The vice-president of McPherson, Scott Twite, called me that day and told me that in all the years at the company he had never seen this happened to anyone, let alone twice. He said that McPherson's reputation was at stake and was going to make it up to me....here's an extract of one of his emails:

Marcos-
    I wanted to follow up our conversation with a brief email to thank you for giving us another chance as well as confirm the issues we discussed today. Matt will take on the challenge to create a guitar for you that will not disappoint. He will be in on Monday to personally pick out the wood for your guitar. Matt is so glad that you are giving him full creative license to put something together for you that is sure to please....As agreed, Matt will be signing the inside of your guitar and we will document the process of the guitar on a disk we will deliver along with the guitar. I am confident that Matt will surprise you with something extra special that will give a lifetime of pleasure to you and generations to come.

The challenge is on.
    Thanks again Marcos.

Sincerely,

Scott Twait

They felt so bad, they shipped me the guitar with the "microscopic crack" at no cost to me just so I can have somehting to play while they built the guitar. (By the way, I inspected the "cracked" guitar in detail and like they said I could not and would not find anything wrong with it. This blew me away, as this kind of quality control is hard to find on any company, especially if the crack is undetectable to the eye, and that it could only pose a threat after YEARS of playing, not months. They later told me that they kept that guitar for the exclusive purpose of loaning it in case of emergencies).

I ended up getting Brazilian Rosewood back/sides and got upgraded Adirondack Red Spruce top for the same price as I originally spec'd!! When Matt was finished he did not want to let it go and tried to keep it for himself as it sounded amazing, offering me to do another but could not convince me.

I can honestly say it is the best sounding, best craftsmanship and best overall guitar that I've ever played. It is simply an inspiration.

I have had the pleasure to own and play many custom pieces, and this one will be on my collection and will be passed down to my kids when I'm dead.

Marcos

PS- If interested I can email some pics.

9. r9player

Love to see pictures Marcos that is one cool story, and well if that one sounds that amazing then it must be an incredible guitar. (I've had a Rosewood/Spruce 4.5 before)
    What kind of pick up system do you have in it?

10. mrkz1974

mrkz1974 Member

LR Baggs

I will post some pics later today.

11. lchyi

lchyi Member

With that kind of QC, you're almost begging to have something messed up!

That is an amazing story. Maybe the next one will be a McPherson... maybe.

12. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

What was the 12th fret inlay?? Photos?

13. Heartbreaker Gtrs

Heartbreaker Gtrs Member

Lovely McPherson Guitar. They are stunning instruments that sustain like nothing else.