Mcpherson Lov'em or hate'em??

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Sir Douglas T, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Sir Douglas T

Sir Douglas T Supporting Member

Hi Guys,
    Im eyeing a new Mcpherson and wanted to hear input on what you guys think. I feel they play great and sound a bit different than a lot of whats out there.......comments welcome.- Sir Douglas T

2. info@timcoughli

info@timcoughli Member

I love mine. Serial # 711. Called McPherson in WI and spoke the VP of the company. We discussed my other guitars and my playing style and he recommended my guitar. It was in a store in Louisville, IN. I played a couple locally and did not get the feel I wanted. So I called the store in Louisville and bought it. Amazing how the McPherson guys nailed what I wanted!

Plays great, stays in tune. I can capo again all the way up the neck, take it off and still be in tune.

I play everything. Rock, blues, slide, rock, finger style, you name it. This guitar is fabulous!

3. msr13

msr13 Member

I had a 5.0 with a redwood top and Macassar Ebony back and sides. It played beautifully. I couldn't believe the tones that came out of it. The neck was perfect from a playabilty standpoint and was set up perfectly. My problem was that the lower bout was too big. My arms are short and I was uncomfortable playing for long periods of time. I had picked the 5.0 because of the tone compared to the smaller sizes. They were all good, but the larger size sounded so good. I regretted not getting the smaller one. It was purely a comfort thing. Anyway, I would buy another one, though smaller. Incidently, I traded it in for a Bourgeois Soloist. Fit me perfectly, and had a wonderfully robust sound-- though very different from the Mcpherson. Yes, I am finicky. I am very happy, but someday I will get another McPherson. Highly recommend them.

4. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

Nothing to hate about them! I have a Redwood/Rosewood 5.0 XP & have owned & played some really topnotch guitars i.e. Breedlove, Larrivee, Taylor, Martin etc... For the price nothing really comes close. Very 3D type sound. Play my Taylor GS (which I think is Taylors best sounding) it sounds awesome. Then pickup the McPherson and you think it sounds a little better. Then pick up the Taylor again and it's lifeless! Amazing. Also the best plugged in acoustic I've had. More compliments on that plugged in sound than I've ever recieved before on a guitar. You will love it...

5. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

If you're looking at them with intrigue, you'll probably love them. If you're a Martin or a Gibson guy (read: traditional), you'll probably hate them.

6. Sir Douglas T

Sir Douglas T Supporting Member

Finally set down to play one this week and am more than impressed. incredible note seperation and sustain.And stayed perfectly in tune although it was a short visit.Very Very cool guitar. - Sir Douglas T

7. jtodds

jtodds Member

They are incredible guitars. Different but wonderful.
    I tried quite a few at Mandolin Bros. a few months ago before settling on the 4.0 size after initially being attracted to the 5.0 Liked the smaller size body much better as well as the increased clarity of the top end that the 5.0 seemed to sacrifice. Found out when speaking with folk at McPherson that the 4.0 was their favorite size.
    Here are a couple of pics. Unfortunately I am most likely going to have to sell her although I trying to find a way not to. Hope to get another one some day, sure it won't be as gorgeous as this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  8. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Member

I have four of them. All sound a bit different due to wood combos and sizes.

To be honest, I love them all. But I scored huge on my first one which is Quilted Maple and ADI top. It is opening up now and just sings.

As mentioned above they hold tune well and intonate perfectly (Buzz Feiten).

Perhaps some traditionalists will pine for more of the bassy rumble of an old D28 or Gibson, which is a pleasant sound also. But I prefer the cleaner balanced tone of the McPhersons.

To each their own. If you like one in the store it will not disappoint at home.

9. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Love the sound, love the feel, love the playability.

I can't stand the offset sound hole. Sorry, but yes, I'm that shallow... :eek:

Jamie

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

Love the look, and they are built like a brick s***house. However, the sound is mediocre at best(not in the same ballpark as many fine Martins, Gibsons and Santa Cruz I have played) and they are HEAVY.

11. jtodds

jtodds Member

Well, I have a magical 1932 Gibson L-00, a really great Martin HD28, play a lot of fine vintage acoustics on a pretty regular basis as well when purchasing my McPherson I went into Mandolin with the sole intention of purchasing a "special" acoustic (it was not a vintage quest on this visit) and had never played nor heard of McPherson previously.
    I played a couple dozen of the best acoustics Mandolin had over a couple of days and many hours.
    There where a couple of McPherson's that didn't do anything for me, the 3.5 spruce variations and a couple that just were not for me but I couldn't get away from four of them. Finally narrowing it down to a couple and buying the one. Was close with a particularly great Goodall and a couple of great Collings and a Santa Cruz. The brazilian Firefly was particularly enticing.
    The McPherson won. It doesn't do the old Gibson vintage thing nor Martin. It has a unique tonality. Very big and balanced across the low end with clear and musical highs. It vibrates and feels incredible. Sounds great to the player with the controversial offset sound hole.

So a sweeping generalization that "the sound is mediocre" is a bit silly. Unless you have played many and different sizes, wood combo's it is really more appropriate to say the "ones I have played" or the couple as is is often the case in situations like this.
    For ever vintage Martin I like there are about 5 or 6 duds before it. Same with nearly every make of guitar, new or old.

12. Ogre

Ogre Member

Actually I have played around 20 of them. I owned one, briefly. Been doing this since 1967, and have heard some magical guitars along the way. I like the look, admire the craftsmanship, and find the acoustic sound to be nothing special. I much prefer a lighter build(some old Martins & Gibsons, Santa Cruz, Lowden) where the sound blooms almost effortlessly from the instrument. I agree with the comment about playing several, and picking the "one".

13. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I've had my MG 4.5 XP for a year and a half now, and I've never played a better new instrument. Before I bought it, I went and played every high-end acoustic I could get my hands on, and this one was head and shoulders above. The sound and playability are incomparable.