MD 280 cans

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cary Chilton, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Just got my senn 280's ! Nice stuff, anyone use 'em?

2. EVT

EVT Member

I use them and like them a lot. Once I broke them, and then I tried a couple of other headphones, and ended up going back to by the same ones because I like them the best.
    evt

3. elambo

elambo Member

I love Sennheisers.

4. daniel A

daniel A Guest

Those are some of my favorite. They sound very good, are comfortable to wear and stay on your head. Mine also broke and I need to have the plug replaced though.

5. straticus

straticus Member

The 280's have been my fav's for the past 3 years or so.

Great sound. Very comfortable for phones with such good isolation.

BC :)

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Do they have decent output or do they need a headphone preamp?

7. straticus

straticus Member

I've never had any problem with output / volume from the 280's.

8. wronghand

wronghand Guest

280's are the best closed headphones anywhere near their price. Although they are quite bulky, I also travel with them because they do a reasonable job isolating the noise on airplanes and are very comfortable. They sound good without an amp but better with a Grado or Musical Fidelity amp.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Hey Wronghand,
    The Senn technical consultant recommend the hd25's over the the 280's, ever tried those?

10. elambo

elambo Member

The HD25s aren't full-ear phones. The 280s will cover the ear completely, which is better for isolation and better for recording (if that's the intent). Otherwise, the 25 may sound better than the 280. Don't know.

11. tac5

tac5 Member

I love the 280's. I've tried a few other brands, but have found no reason to buy any other. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to take them off my head when I got up to leave my console.

12. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

I just bought a pair of these myself last night. So far, I'm stunned by the sound quality - I've never had good cans before, just cheapies. These things sound amazing!!

I'd been poking around at the reviews on epinions.com, and many people recommended doing a burn-in with these for best sound quality - I've had them plugged into my PC with different CDs on shuffle for 24 hours now, and the bass response has improved noticeably - I'm going to give them another 24, then stop - that seems to be the amount most folks have done. I could just be a doofus, too....who knows?

13. elambo

elambo Member

No you're not being a doofus (at least not here :) ), to be honest the burn-in does work. I didn't notice a difference in bass afterwards, but the treble, which started out just slightly too brittle, was tamed perfectly after a few days of constant play. Glad you like them - Sennheisers are great phones.

14. hawk269

hawk269 Supporting Member

These headphones work great. The isolation makes it a lot easier to track guitar. I don't use them for anything other than recording, so I can't really comment on other uses. I will say they are very comfortable like others have mentioned.

15. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

I bought them for dual use as live engineering and recording cans, and I like them. I wanted circumaural closed-back phones, and they fit the bill. I was unaware of any burn-in proceedure, but they have become a lot more natural after extended use... maybe still a bit bass-heavy, but not annoyingly so. Not as natural as a good open-backed design, but you wouldn't be shopping them if you didn't want the isolation.

16. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

excellent cans. slightly plummy in the bass but very sweet sounding phones. excellent isolation, super comfortable