Mdv1 black vs viscous vibe

TBLebowski

the wierdest thing happened over the weekend...I walked into my guitar store ready to buy the fulltone, but was underwhelmed so I thought I'd try the tc and thought it sounded a lot better. I walked out confused still with a pocket full of cash (a first!...at least the money thing)

Anyway, is there something I was doing wrong? The fulltone had the volume dimed just to reach unity and it was as slow as I'd use it around 12:00 on the speed dial. The throb wasn't present until 3:00...should I just buy the tc is there more to the fulltone I'm missing?

joealba

The Viscous Vibe does exactly what I want in a vibe -- Robin Trower in a pedal with a ramp mode. I have no complaints about it. It also takes up less room than the Fulltone.

I would never steer anyone away from the Fulltone. But don't shun the Viscous Vibe either. If you dig it, buy it!

Phase45child

The Fulltone is a real vibe, the Viscous is a digital replicant that sounds too much like a phaser to me. I'd personally not use the VV to scratch my back but if you like it and it's cheaper GET IT!!

TBLebowski

One for, one against...the digital thing bothers me a little to be honest. I have digital pedals but knowing the vv is digital would make me try to rank it lower than it actually sounded in my mind...it's only a $30 difference here in Canada, cost really isn't a factor in this race...perhaps I'm just looking for a reason to go back to the store!

Phase45child

Apparently there is a good Toneprint that makes it sound more like a real Univibe, but the demos have yet to convince me.

The MXR Univibe is a great option for a smaller vibe with a good throb to the sound, for less money than the FMV

tubekingsley

I believe the pedal you want, is a used Lovepedal Vibronaut for $150. I like it better than MDV3 and Dry Bell. Its super lush and can be dialed in so easily. I just wish it had an expression pedal jack, but I still choose it as my on board vibe. Watch some you tube demos of Vibronaut. I owned an early Dry Bell for years, liked it, didn't love it. Did not like Fulltone, very much. I totally dig the Vibronaut....

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a 60s Vibe, so maybe my expectations need to be recalibrated, but the MDV3 was a paper weight by comparison. Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear something from TC could at least hang with the Fulltone.

I'd love to find a single pedal form/9v vibe that can come close to my MJM, but I've never heard a demo that can touch it. Just need the chorus side so I'm all ears.

tubekingsley

I've got a 60s Vibe, so maybe my expectations need to be recalibrated, but the MDV3 was a paper weight by comparison. Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear something from TC could at least hang with the Fulltone.

I'd love to find a single pedal form/9v vibe that can come close to my MJM, but I've never heard a demo that can touch it. Just need the chorus side so I'm all ears.
MJM 60's vibe is my "other" favorite- killer vibe pedal. I'd like to try Castledine and KR Megavibe. I'd buy a used Vibronaut for $145-$150, if you don't dig it, it's an easy one to flip. Its a tiny footprint...

johnh

I have been through a few vibes, including a Drybell. While the others were undoubtedly great, the transparent brightness of the Fulltone Mini Dejavibe keeps winning me over. I totally agree that other pedals have a deeper throb. However, I found that, after a few months with the Drybell, I just wasn't using my vibe as much. When I swapped the Fulltone back onto my board, everything was back to normal.

To my ears, the Fulltone is a more subtle sound, although to be honest, I have the intensity knob set about halfway, so there are obviously much deeper sounds available.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that a more transparent vibe tone can have its good points too.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a digital vibe pedal. Sorry if that makes me shallow. I would certainly audition it, but my expectations would be very low.

tubekingsley

I have been through a few vibes, including a Drybell. While the others were undoubtedly great, the transparent brightness of the Fulltone Mini Dejavibe keeps winning me over. I totally agree that other pedals have a deeper throb. However, I found that, after a few months with the Drybell, I just wasn't using my vibe as much. When I swapped the Fulltone back onto my board, everything was back to normal.

To my ears, the Fulltone is a more subtle sound, although to be honest, I have the intensity knob set about halfway, so there are obviously much deeper sounds available.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that a more transparent vibe tone can have its good points too.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a digital vibe pedal. Sorry if that makes me shallow. I would certainly audition it, but my expectations would be very low.
One of the things I like best about the Vibronaut, is the low and high knobs- you can control the level of throb, and brightness. There is a really nice digital vibe- The Versa Vibe... Only problem, was that it was difficult to dial out the "warble"

Jo-Jo Beans

Viscous Vibe is sweet just for the smaller footprint. The digital thing bothers me a tiny bit because I usually only like my delay pedals to be digital and everything else analog, but the small footprint and price is what did it for me. Traditional vibe pedals are enormous and I value my board space. I hardly ever use vibe, so the Viscous Vibe isn't a problem when it's off and I have it available for when I want the sound, without taking up a ton of space on my board.

The MXR Uni-Vibe is a small pedal too, but it uses bucket brigade chips to achieve the vibe sound instead of a lamp and light-dependent resistors like classic vibes. Leaky noisy inefficient bucket brigade chips are the reason I don't like analog delays, so that's a turn-off for me just in general. The Viscous Vibe is supposedly a 1:1 digital recreation of the Univibe where they modeled everything extremely carefully.

Anyway, go with analog Fulltone or Lovepedal if you use it a lot and must have that analog signal path. If it's just a little bit of tone garnish occasionally, it's hard to go wrong with the Viscous Vibe for size and versatility and price.

Rhythm Rocker

the wierdest thing happened over the weekend...I walked into my guitar store ready to buy the fulltone, but was underwhelmed so I thought I'd try the tc and thought it sounded a lot better. I walked out confused still with a pocket full of cash (a first!...at least the money thing)

Anyway, is there something I was doing wrong? The fulltone had the volume dimed just to reach unity and it was as slow as I'd use it around 12:00 on the speed dial. The throb wasn't present until 3:00...should I just buy the tc is there more to the fulltone I'm missing?
OP, the Fulltone MDV-1 has an internal 'Light Source Trimmer Control' to fine tune the amount of current to the light bulb. Thus giving you more Throb,
Grind and Phase as Fuller has mentioned with his recent units and the photocells used. It should be at the factory setting, but perhaps the one you tried
wasn't set to that. I would try another MDV-1.

I have an '02 Gold Fulltone Deja'Vibe I bought new at Song Bird Music in Toronto after seeing Robin Trower use one and I absolutely love it.

Last edited:

TBLebowski

Thanks rhythm rocker, I didn't take into account the internal trimmer...looks like I'll be going back next month, screwdriver in hand! In the mean time I'm going to try to find a clip of the vintage tone print.

Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Trending Topics