Mean 90 with the plastic cover

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Whiskeyrebel, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I have GFS Dream 90 pickups in the neck position on two guitars. In addition to th etone of the pickups, I like that they are very resistant to electrical noise for a single coil pickup.

I was looking at a Mean 90 pickup for another guitar, and one that I found has a black plastic cover so it looks more like a traditional soapbar (call me shallow). The question is, how much more susceptible to electrical noise is this version compared to the metal covered version?

2. cwz

cwz Member

I put some Mean 90s in a slim hollow body. I like the tone, but didn't like the noise when only using one. I've switched one to the noiseless Dimarzio BluesBucker, and will change the other soon.
    Sorry, can't say if they are more prone to noise than the metal cover. If you want to try one, PM me and you can borrow the one I'm not using. You're probably within shouting distance.

OOPS, just pulled out the pickup, it is metal cover, with black paint that makes it look like plastic.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I bet that is also the case (no pun intended) with the one i saw. Thanks for checking.

4. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

It is a metal cover on all of the mean 90s, even the "plastic" looking ones. They ARE single coils and as such are not hum free, but they are a lot quieter hum-wise that regular P90s.