Measuring fretboard radius

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jhale, Jul 9, 2017.

1. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I bought the measuring tools. When I put it on fret board or fret it seems like a few from 9.5 up to 14 match? While most of the curve matches It seems like the edges of frets are curved down though maybe a rolled fretboard? Its an old luthier built les paul so im guessing its 12. Is it better to measure board or fret?

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Better to measure the board as the frets can actually be leveled to a different radius.

Also, the cutter that did the original radius can get dull, which can translate to a different radius than intended.

3. David Collins

David Collins Member

The answer may depend on what exactly it is you need these measurements for.

Jerrod likes this.
  4. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I may attempt a home refret so I want to order pre radiused frets. I will prob have a luthier level and crown if I cant do the rest

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Measure the board. But it sounds like your frets are worn to a slope on the ends maybe...?

6. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I'll take pictures and post

7. David Collins

David Collins Member

Well if the board radius in inconsistent across its width right now, it will be up to the person refretting it to correct that and true it up to whatever radius the deem most suitable. So it doesn't matter much how off or uneven it reads now, but rather what radius you will level it to before installing new frets.

jhale and KGWagner like this.
  8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

What David said. Pick a radius and finish the fretboard to that. If you're buying pre-radiused frets, then you'll know what to get.

I must say I find it unusual that you want to replace the frets, but have somebody else level/crown/dress/polish them. If it was me, I might be tempted to charge extra for that since nearly 100% of the fretwork I've done where the customer tried to save me work ended up adding work to the job.
    [​IMG]
    The exception to that is when I get necks that are slotted and prepped, but not fretted. In that case, I'll charge less.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  9. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I'm getting $500+ quotes for fret jobs and its too much. I want EVO gold wire. My $300 guy moved away. I could attempt to do it myself then maybe get it plekd for $200?

10. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

That's nuts. I specialize in stainless/EVO wire. It's almost all I do. I'll send you a PM.