Mechanics advise needed... Vehicle speed sensor

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, May 9, 2016.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

My son's 1998 Olds 88 started acting up the other day. The speedometer was reading erratically, and the transmission was jumping back and forth between gears.

I put a new vehicle speed sensor in it yesterday, and the problem cleared up. Now it's back at it again. I suspect that the real problem was in the wiring to the original sensor, and not the sensor itself. I suspect the insulation has worn through and causing occasional/constant erratic signals.

Question....

The two wire lead that plugs into the sensor is a fairly wire, that comes from inside an insulated bundle. I want to replace this with a new pigtail. Does this sound like the next likely step in the repair, and how can I access this without damaging other wires is the bundle? Would I be better off trying to isolate the existing wires with electrical tape before I resort to replacing the wiring?

2. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

I would make sure you don't have a spread terminal on the pig tail and that the new vss has the same size pins in it as the old one.

fretless likes this.
  3. standard24

standard24 Member

Good Point!