Meda Boogie 20/20 fan noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ggve, Feb 10, 2015.

1. ggve

ggve Member

Just bought a 20/20 to use with my Axe FX, however the fan is ver noisy IMHO.

Is this mormal?

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

I am sure you can offset it by turning the volume knobs up.

3. rummy

rummy Member

If you're hearing the fan, you're doing it wrong.

4. slybird

slybird Member

Fan noise is normal for 20/20, 2/50, and 2/90. Without being there I can't say if your fan is louder than normal.

The fans on those units can go bad. I think there are quieter replacement fans you can buy.

I've also have read about people installing fan switches for purpose of recording, but you have an Axe FX, shouldn't be a thing

I don't recommend this last solution: Open up the unit, disconnect the fan, do not put the top back on, reinstall into rack, make sure you leave at least one empty space above unit in the rack. With the top off and enough ventilation the fan will not be necessary.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Nature of the beast. It was designed as a stage amp. With that being said, fans can go bad, get really dusty, or need a drop or two of oil on the blade axel for the maximum quiet factor.

6. dohmar

dohmar Member

All of the above suggestions are good. I ended up disconnecting mine and I just run a set of 12cm PC case fans at the back of my rack, blowing air on the rear of the 20/20.

There is a replacement fan unit out there but typically overpriced as per Mesas standard. Can probably head to your local electronics shop and get one cheap but fwiw mines been functioning fine without a fan for 2 years.

-D