Medium Output Pickup: Tight Bass Like An Sh-5 But Still Paf Like A Bb3

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gallery, May 18, 2015.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Looking for a pickup that sits right between a BB3 and an SH-5.

I want the tight bass and bottom end of an SH-5 for palm muting, rhythms, and clarity.

But I still want to retain some of the PAF character like Burstbucker 3 manages to do while still being hot.

Any suggestions?

2. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Try the Alnico V version. Custom 5

3. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Put a UOA5 magnet in your SH-5. I recently did this in my LP and it sounds just like you're describing.

4. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I was considering the Custom 5, but I've read some complaints that it's mid scooped. Did you find this to be true?

5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I haven't tried the Custom 5 yet. Or, more specifically, I haven't tried an A5 magnet in a Custom yet. All the various Customs are the exact same wind. The only difference are the magnets.

I originally bought the regular Custom because I wanted to try the ceramic magnet and also because I had the intention of trying various magnets. I was going to try a roughcast A5 after the UOA5 (un-oriented A5) but the UOA5 sounded so good, I stopped there.

I like the UOA5 because it's a good mix of the best qualities of an A5 and A2: tighter bottom end, nice mids, the oomph of an A5.

The roughcast A5 would have made it a Custom 5. By comparison, it would be a little more scooped than the UOA5, but I can't say how much or if it would be more than you like. The Custom has some meat to it so the A5 might not sound too scooped.

The Custom takes magnet swaps really well so I would suggest picking up different magnets for $3 a piece as opposed to other versions of the same pickup. Even if you don't know what you're doing, it's very simple and would take you 20 minutes.