Vendor Meet the Builder - Rainer Tausch

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Zen_Guitar, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

Scott Peterson and I conferred re an idea I had and he approved of me starting a thread here. This is my idea...and not a TGP promotion.

Here is a short video featuring Rainer Tausch https://www.tausch-guitars.de/. Rainer is busy getting reaady for The Holy Grail Guitar Show - Berlin (the final one). https://holygrailguitarshow.com/

I will be hosting more videos about Small Company Luthiers here and on my Instagram and website. The hope is to do a monthly post, will see where that leads.

Additionally, if you are interested in submitting your thoughts to Small Company Luthiers, hit me up. I plan to collect information for them re their respective markets.

Thx

Scott Eave

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020 at 12:18 PM
  2. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Very cool! I did a similar thing years ago with small builders of long bows. It became a very informative running article (this was pre-internet, submissions were added monthly to the magazine issue (how primitive!)). Watching this, for sure! For now, I don't think the link is working.

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  3. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

Thx, think the link should work now.

pirateflynn likes this.
  4. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Wow, those guitars looks awesome. Post up some photos with a description of your guitars.

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  5. JBG

JBG Member

Matt is a great builder!

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  6. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

thx.....I will add some more links that focus on each of the builders who are featured. great idea.

Scott

7. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

thx very much agree.....and maybe even a better human !!

8. JBG

JBG Member

I will agree with that as well.

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  9. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

if this project develops.....I will develop a list of builders who will be participating and a sched for their appearance.

additionally.....as I compile a meaningful amount of info from prospective player/buyers I share what that looks like. if any of you are interested in the kinds of info I am seeking pls MSG me and I will share with you.

middlechainringguy likes this.
  10. veinbuster

veinbuster Member

Very cool idea.
    Looking forward to more.

11. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

thx very much....working on recruiting.....appreciate the comment and support !!

12. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

this question is for the player/buyer.....

I am going to begin posting a series of questions re the things that influence your decisions to 'acquire' an instrument. assuming I get meaningful input, I will share the results here and with interested builders.

for this purpose....I am not talking about what you think is cool....or what you like....rather...when you decide to get a piece....

what is the MOST influential thing you consider ?

you can either respond by posting here....or MSG me if you prefer...

thx

Scott Eave

13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Does it make my loins quiver?

derekd and Zen_Guitar like this.
  14. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

while I chuckled.....prob not a useable measure......certainly tough to quantify......I did laugh out loud though.

rollyfoster likes this.
  15. rollyfoster

what do you mean by “influential?” It’s a pretty broad question....

Are you looking for measurable things like cost/specs or more intangible “it speaks to me” or design aspects, etc?

16. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

it is broad....hoping that responses will reflect what you are really moved by when you make the decision to acquire.

I guess I am suggesting that what thing tips the scales...

for ex....some may say $...others aesthetics...some may say PUs......builder rep....etc.....

17. rollyfoster

Ah gotcha. Have to admit it’s a little variable for me. Build quality is usually at the top and ends up guiding the decision to go through with it. Doesn’t matter how amazing a guitar looks or what parts are on it or what it costs if it’s a dog.

I prefer to get things from people who really care about what they do and that can be all the way from PRS to suhr to Captain Bubba 6-string in his garage.

One guitar I have that absolutely blows me away and has been for a few years is my @Ron Kirn tele. It’s nothing special, just a “like they used to do it” blackguard telecaster but when you pick it up you can immediately tell that it was built by someone who absolutely obsesses over his work. That guitar is an heirloom piece. It’s not going anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Zen_Guitar likes this.
  18. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I would want to see a list of previous customers I could query.

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  19. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

20. veinbuster

veinbuster Member

I assume this is in reference to a small builder, I would commission a build from.

First and foremost, the assertion from players I respect that the instrument will play well.

When picking from existing guitars: I won’t even pick it up if it doesn’t look good. Then it has to feel good in my hands and sound good acoustically. Then I’ll plug it in (if appropriate). Basically I want everything, but I check in as efficient a manner as I can.

Zen_Guitar likes this.