Mega Boogie MkV:25 Just Seems to Get Better and Better

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DRS, May 13, 2015.

1. DRS

DRS Member

After 5 months, I am still really enjoying this amp. Whether it's playing chimey Fender cleans with my Strat, enjoying crunchy rhythm with my Tele, or doing sustaining leads ala Santana or Al Di Meola with a Les Paul, this little amp just delivers in spades. All my dirt pedals are sitting idol.

2. Squints17

Squints17 Supporting Member

I have the mark v combo with a mini recto 1x12 extension cab. Is it worth me selling the big brother to get the 25 watt version. I primarily play at home. I used to have a mark iv sold it got the mark v. Love the channel 3 in mark iv mode, 2 in crunch, and 1 in fat. Can the mini do all these sounds?

3. DRS

DRS Member

The problem with the MkV25 is that the Fat and Crunch are on the same channel. So you couldn't just switch between the two via the footswitch. You'd have to use the toggle and adjust the shared controls. Personally, I chose the MkV25 because it was lighter, cheaper, and had Cab Clone. But I'd say 90% of my decision was based on the price. I don't believe it has any advantage over the big MkV for quiet playing because the MkV has a really good global output knob. Now, I have not played a MkV so this is anecdotal but people universally praise the MkV's low volume tone.

4. somedude

somedude Member

1) The mini only has two channels, so you have to factor that in, and

2) For various reasons* the big Mark V does low volumes better** than the V:25.

* Various reasons
    - Mark V is 10w class A vs the V:25 being 10w class A/B.
    - Mark V has a variac to lower the headroom even further.
    - Mark V has a tube rectifier.

**Better, is of course subjective.

5. Nazgul666

Nazgul666 Member

Is it loud enough for a two guitar hard rock band if you put it through a 4x4?

6. Squints17

Squints17 Supporting Member

Can the crunch mode on the 25 with the mid boost (mid past noon) get authentic classic rock blues tones. I feel that the big mark v kills at high gain, has an awesome clean, while the channel 2 crunch is far better than on my mark iv, I still feel like the 2nd channel doesn't share the same mojo as the other two channels. I go back and forth from playing heavy rock/metal to more classic rock/blues. Channel 2 typically leaves a little to be desired for the latter.

7. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

You might get splinters.

Sorry I had to. It's got a DI, so if it's loud enough for the stage you can send the signal to FOH through that.

8. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've had mine for about 6 months and I think I've decided to sell it. For me, the clean channel is great and I can get some nice singing lead sounds but that's about it. It's just not versatile enough for me. I have the ROV combo so I think I'm going to sell that as well and get the head and just go that route.

9. somedude

somedude Member

There's footage on Youtube of Petrucci standing in with Judas Priestess. He's using a Mark V:25 into a 1x12 while his wife is playing a Roadster into a pair of 2x12s.