Mega Chorus Shootout (again)

gatordoc

You can really hear the difference between the original CE-2 and the CE-2 mode of the Waza pedal, which is what I also hear when comparing them on my own board. The CE-2 mode is more like CE-2 "light". Nothing wrong with it but definitely a different EQ compared to the original and it doesn't seem to have the same width. I much prefer the original for clean tones. The CE-1 mode of the Waza pedal is close enough to the original CE-1 and makes the pedal worth having for me along with the vibrato mode.

My favorite pedal chorus though is still the Analogman! I think the Tortuga Martini sounds pretty cool too. Might need to pick one of those up.

What was your favorite when comparing them live?

ryandfl

This makes me think of looking at a series of 80's action movie posters. Cheesy, almost all the same and somehow wet.

Sorry chorus just sounds goofy to me in isolation. Apprehended the demo.

jcourtjr

You can really hear the difference between the original CE-2 and the CE-2 mode of the Waza pedal, which is what I also hear when comparing them on my own board. The CE-2 mode is more like CE-2 "light". Nothing wrong with it but definitely a different EQ compared to the original and it doesn't seem to have the same width. I much prefer the original for clean tones. The CE-1 mode of the Waza pedal is close enough to the original CE-1 and makes the pedal worth having for me along with the vibrato mode.

My favorite pedal chorus though is still the Analogman! I think the Tortuga Martini sounds pretty cool too. Might need to pick one of those up.

What was your favorite when comparing them live?
I will try to summarize later but I had the same experience with the Waza in CE-2 mode. It is certainly more hi fi and slightly different EQ that in some applications make it sound like there is less effect which can be good or bad. The favorite right now is the CMAT Mod, it is just like other have said, a boutique version of the CE-2 with a blend knob and true bypass, fantastic and simple.

Good job sir :aok
Of course, a lot of cork sniffing is involved, but I would have to say that the CE-1 mode of the CE-2W is excellent.
Personally, I use the Jam Pedals Waterfall, which is a "boutique" version of the old CE-2 and it has vibrato mode as well. I would say the CMATMods sounds remarkably close to both these

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't mind hearing the CE-20 Chorus Ensemble's Standard and CE-1 modes in that shootout.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
That is a very well-done demo.

I've tested many of those pedals head to head at the same time. The CE-1 setting on the CE-2W definitely sounds great vs. the original.

As the video suggests, it's frequently very hard to capture the nuances/differentiation of a chorus in a head-to-head demo. The reason being that you can frequently set up the pedals to sound the same or very similar.

While the modulated tone differences *can* come through, different pedals differentiate themselves differently (at other pedal settings, chording, single notes, stackability with other modulation or dirt, etc.).

jcourtjr

That is a very well-done demo.

I've tested many of those pedals head to head at the same time. The CE-1 setting on the CE-2W definitely sounds great vs. the original.

As the video suggests, it's frequently very hard to capture the nuances/differentiation of a chorus in a head-to-head demo. The reason being that you can frequently set up the pedals to sound the same or very similar.

While the modulated tone differences *can* come through, different pedals differentiate themselves differently (at other pedal settings, chording, single notes, stackability with other modulation or dirt, etc.).
Right. The purpose was to take a common setting (slowish rate, medium depth) and show the character with a looped clip so there was no variation in playing. When I am doing the CE-1 to Waza CE-1, I set the Waza to sound more like the depth of the actual CE-1 which is why that one is at 3 oclock rather than noonish. One thing that probably does not come through is the live levels that you would get. In the room you can hear fluctutions in volume between the pedals.

Really like that CE2w in CE1 setting

Having a hard time perceiving a lot of the character in most of these though from the relatively low depth setting

The voodoo lab almost sounds more like a flanger set low than a chorus

Snufkinoob

What difference is there between the CE-2W and the MXR? I had the MXR and am tempted to get one again, but I'm curious if the CE-2W is any 'better'. I'd probably not use the extra modes on the Waza, so that added flexibility isn't a criteria.

jcourtjr

What difference is there between the CE-2W and the MXR? I had the MXR and am tempted to get one again, but I'm curious if the CE-2W is any 'better'. I'd probably not use the extra modes on the Waza, so that added flexibility isn't a criteria.
well, with the waza in ce-2 mode, I would say its close but the mxr sounds a bit thicker and obviously has more control. Closer to the original CE-2 but the bypass is terrible.

Snufkinoob

well, with the waza in ce-2 mode, I would say its close but the mxr sounds a bit thicker and obviously has more control. Closer to the original CE-2 but the bypass is terrible.
:beer I never noticed the quality of the bypass on the MXR. Might try out the Waza, but I did like the thicker tone of the MXR, especially after a nasty fuzz for synthy tones.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I had the Waza CE-2 and didn't like it nearly as much as my '79 CE-2, prefer the thicker mids and more dimensional sound of the original. I have a Roland JC, so really didn't have the need for the CE-1 mode...which was fine on the pedal, but not as nice as the amp. I also have an FX65, very nice as well and still a bargain for the $$ used. Was surprised by the MXR there, nice and thick. Cool demo, thanks for posting.

jcourtjr

I am on the fence with 2 things. I'm selling a few of these but now I am wondering if I should sell the analogman mini and/or send in the CE-1 for the analogman mod. The analogman mini sounds terrific although I prefer it for leslie type sounds. The CE-1 in the demo clips a lot unless I bring the level down on the pedal. I am boosting the output with a MXR EQ to get it to the level of the other pedals. I guess I could turn the level down even further and get the mxr up more. The strat would sound fine without distorting at the current level but I use a boost to get that guitar to match volume with my humbucking equipped guitars.

I do not notice any high end roll off on the CE-1 so I kind of wonder if it already has the correct guitar friendly pot. Not sure it the mod would help with the clipping or not.

Trending Topics