• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Megadeth: Tornado of Souls live (1992)

hawkeye17

This sure brought back some memories. Friedman just kills the solo too. Easily one of the best guitar solo's (and hair!) of that era.

Flinto2002

yeah, that incarnation of megadeth was unstoppable.

Nowadays.... yikes.... Menza is meth head, Friedman is all in to J-pop and Megadeth as a whole, is completely uninspired.

Sal

This is the band at the peak, in my opinion. Nick Menza's drumming was perfect, his double bass fill at 2:06 is tasty. They still haven't found someone who can replace his sound. Marty's last solo is just so good. It's so freaky they way he bends his picking hand wrist. Mustaine's leads are good too.

Marty is incredible. Dragon's Kiss is one of the only instrumental shred albums i still listen to. As for Megadeth, the music is great, but at this point i find them unlistenable due to Dave's "vocal stylings"...

PVH5150

Nowadays.... Megadeth as a whole, is completely uninspired.
Uh, no.

Endgame was their best album since Countdown to Extinction. Chris Broderick breathed new life into the band and now with Dave Ellefson back in the picture, I'm hoping that Thirteen will be just as good, if not better than Endgame.

Flinto2002

Uh, no.

Endgame was their best album since Countdown to Extinction. Chris Broderick breathed new life into the band and now with Dave Ellefson back in the picture, I'm hoping that Thirteen will be just as good, if not better than Endgame.
It didnt do it for me. I've been a huge megadeth fan since I was 15, and dude, I'm almost 39. I've seen em live many times, and buy most every album. I found Endgame to be pretty bland, reminded me of The World Needs A Hero in that sense. Chris is technically gifted, but his solo's lack the inspiration of Friedman & Poland. Frankly, I like Al Pitrelli better in the slot.

Its different strokes for different folks, but I thought Youthanasia and Cryptic writings were WAY better records.

For a benchmark of an 'inspired' comeback record, look at Anthrax's new release. Thats furious, sounds hungry and is the best release by any of the big four in the last 10 years. By comparison, Megadeth sounds complacent and boring.

soulohio

I saw Megadeth on this tour in Cleveland. I had seen them previously with Chris Poland on Peace sells and before that on their first tour of Killing is My Business. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but good lawd! The two Daves were great, Nick was great, and Marty was sublime. The first time I listened to Tornado of Souls I thought: this is it. Nobody can top it. Maybe the best Heavy Metal solo...evuh.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
I saw Megadeth on this tour in Cleveland. I had seen them previously with Chris Poland on Peace sells and before that on their first tour of Killing is My Business. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but good lawd! The two Daves were great, Nick was great, and Marty was sublime. The first time I listened to Tornado of Souls I thought: this is it. Nobody can top it. Maybe the best Heavy Metal solo...evuh.

That whole album was a thrash masterpiece.
I saw them on the RIP tour, my first concert ever.

Testament, Megadeth, Judas Priest.
Souls of Black, RIP, Painkiller
It was unreal.

george nada

i saw them in philly once with about 5 other cool bands, i don't even remember who else was there except for dokken. i can't even remember what album they were touring. but there is one thing i remember very clearly. there was a fight down on the floor that looked like a jackie chan movie. some dude knew martial arts and was good at it. he took out a bunch of dudes and even some cops before he got drug out by 5 cops.

Atomic Punk

I got to see them on the opening night of this tour in Phoenix. Still one of the best shows I've seen. Megadeth was a well oiled machine at that time.

Gclef

jeez, you guys need to stop about dave's singing already!:horse
are they any worse than the cookie monster vocals that are so prevalent nowadays?

also, could you imagine him telling a singer how to EXACTLY sing a line?
yeah, that would last about 2 takes before the egos of both exploded!

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Is that clip from a concert we can get on DVD or something? I'd love to have a video of Megadeth from that era.

jb4674

I think that was the best Megadeth lineup ever. Marty can smoke Broderick in his sleep without breaking a sweat ;)

eschoendorff

Uh, no.

You, sir, are correct. I've seen the band live twice in the last year and they KILL.

Trending Topics