Megavibe vs. Uber Vibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarBrent, Jan 23, 2006.

1. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I know we've discussed vibes ad naseum here, but the Uber Vibe is sooo new. Has anyone heard, played, or owned both? I want to hear real world opinions. I'm looking at the big Megavibe, as it looks like you can control the speed with your foot without an external foot controller (which I don't want or have room for on my board). Mainly I'm concerned with the sound quality too. They both appear to be great, but what do the filters do on the Uber? Can the Uber be made to sound like the Mega? Any opinions are greatly appreciated here. They are listed at the exact same price.

2. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Sorry, I haven't tried the Uber Vibe. I have a CC2 with lots of bells and whistles which is cool, and I have a Mojo Vibe with lots of control range which is also cool, but when I play the Megavibe I think "Why would I want to tweak anything?"

3. rooster

rooster Member

I'm just holding out till the Gigavibe. I figure 10^9 is about as vibey as possible.

rooster.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I don't know about the Urber Vibe, but I own a Megavibe and it's freaking awesome. I agree with the above post,
    It's that good, period.

5. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

The Mega Vibe is sweet. There's no need for bells and whistles with it, just plug in a Strat, hit the neck pickup and wail!

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Anyone using the Megavibe with the Pedal Power 2 or 2+ on the ACA/12 volt setting? Does anyone know if this will work?

7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

How about a Megavibe vs a small Megavibe comparison? They are supposed to sound the same. Do they? Is everyone using an external foot controller for the speed on the mini Mega vibe?

8. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

I have the small mega vibe. It's the best vibe I've ever owned.

9. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

How are you controlling the speed on the small Megavibe?

10. exodus

exodus Member

I have the original large box. No go with the Pedal power--just use the wall wart that comes with it, its worth it. Any sort of Proel volume pedal with... I think, a 100k pot works. Check on that spec though.....

The sweep with the volume pedal for speed is VERY smooth with no jumps.

11. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I thought it ran off of 12 volts though? The 12 volt setting on the Pedal Power won't work? Why?

12. dbx

dbx Member

The Uber-vibe hasn't been released into production yet...first batch should be coming next week...and it runs on 9vdc (center -) standard BOSS connection, should run fine from a PP or PP2

13. exodus

exodus Member

well, I'm no expert, so someone who knows better can figure that one out.

First though, I don't know how exactly you make 12v with the pedal power. Each plug is 9 volts, the 2-to-1 plug makes 18 volts, and the dipswitches under the pedal power just up the mA.

The values of the megavibe adapter is 12 volts at 100 mA. Who knows, maybe it can be done with a custom made plug.:confused:

14. dbx

dbx Member

If you look under the PP there is a dip switch that corresponds to each output, flipped one way is standard 9vdc, flipped the other way is 12vdc BOSS ACA style:

http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/pp2plus_manual.pdf

Then you could even use your doubler cable to feed 24vdc...just observe proper polarity...

15. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

On paper it looks like the Megavibe should work with the Pedal Power 2 or 2+. I just want to make sure, since I'm not a fan of the big wall warts. I'd like to have things nice and tidy if possible. Exodus, can you not control the speed on the big Mega with just your foot and the knob on the box itself?

16. exodus

exodus Member

well, what do you know... it does work:BOUNCE Stupid me had the wrong polarity. :Spank

Dipswitch up with a positive center plug works just fine with the Mega.

17. dbx

dbx Member

:AOK

18. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i have an ubervibe on order

should be here in 4 weeks

i will be giving a update when i get it

i love vibes:JAM:JAM

19. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

i also have one on order. i'm on the 'premier queue' so hopefully that means soon :BEER

20. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

Sorry resurrecting this :).

Exodus, so did you use a regular cable that came with pp2 or was there a special cable that is labeled center positive? I would love to run my megavibe from my pp2 as well. But I'm not sure which cable to use?