Melancon Advice, Please.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dank, Feb 4, 2008.

1. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

I am looking for another wild quilted top guitar. Can be Strat or Tele style, however, I want a tapped humbucker in the bridge and either stat-type singles or P-90's in the middle and neck. I have already gone this route in the past with Anderson and Suhr; I'm just looking for another one, on the less expensive side-I cannot afford a Thorn right now. Thoughts on Melancon?

Thank you.

Dan

2. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

A used Melancon is quite a bargain, considering the type of instrument that you get. New, they are still a bit less expensive than comparative Andersons or Suhrs. I just ordered 2 new Melancons, but not because of the price. Gerard's guitars just have a certain something extra that I really appreciate.

3. dank

I will only go the used route: I had a gorgeous Anderson custom made for me, and I lost about $850 on resale despite the fact that it looked the same as when it was first delivered to me. Ditto in a custom Suhr. And what is the "something extra" you're referring to?

4. imissmj

imissmj Member

Gerard really has his own thing going. He developed his own compensated scale and neck joint and is constantly updating his techniques. If you can find a used Custom Artist (assuming that's what you want -quilt top no pickguard, bucker in the bridge) it will probably be a great bargain and you'll be able to resell at no loss. The trouble may be finding one. The only thing to really consider is the neck shape on a used guitar, so I'd make sure you know what you're looking for and at in that regard. Maybe you can be more specific with what you want to know? If you're asking if Melancon Guitars are on par with Anderson and Suhr I would say undoubtedly yes without question.

Chris

Edit: Obviously neck shape isn't the ONLY thing to consider, I was more thinking that if you get a neck shape that isn't to your liking there is no way "around" it.

5. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

As far as my opinion and my experience go, Gerard's compensated system is the BEST one out there...and I've tried all of them. All of my current guitars have the BFTS, but Gerard's is even better. I briefly had the one that is at Martin Music, has the real cool swamp ash that looks like it has a banshee coming out of it. It sounded unbelievable, and if it had a thicker neck I'd still have it. As soon as I can, Gerard will be building me my next guitar.

6. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

My number 1 is a Melancon Pro Artist - great, great instrument. Any future guitars will also be Melancon. Gerard's a dream to work with and even supports his "sold" instruments to a degree. Mine keeps getting better with age, the most addictive guitar I've ever owned. And his finishes are awesome - NAMM guitars have been almost too pretty to look at in full light...

Mine isn't fancy - amberburst, non-figured top - but still gorgeous.

Greg

7. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Don't hesitate. They are right up there with Suhr and Grosh. I love mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jzilla

jzilla Member

the melancons i played at namm were killer. and gerald seems like an excellent person...

9. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Gerard developed a new neck carve/profile he calls a "60's Carve" ( .835" @1st fret to .960" @12th fret - at least those are the specs shown on guitars he had at NAMM). It's perfect for me, which is an option that I included with both of my 2 new Mels currently on order.

As for that "something extra", I'll try to quantify it. He IS Melancon guitars, he's the only guy building each guitar from start to finish. His compensated system is great, the neck joint I particularly like, the necks are all quartersawn (standard). Plus there are a lot of available options, not all of which are listed on his website yet. All of these things add up to a lot of something extra in my book. I've also owned Suhr and Grosh, played some Andersons. They're all great instruments, but Mels really fit me the best.

10. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

I didn't know about the 60s Carve, but the smallest neck that my hand will accommodate usually (I have a Swan that is the exception) is .860/.980, and I even prefer a little bigger. But from what I found out when I looked into it, he'll do a custom neck for me, so that's the way I'll be going when I free up the funds for it.

11. dank

I will say that neck-wise, my favorite is a PRS Wide Thin. I have that on my '94 Custom that I've been playing since, well, 1994. If a great Melancon is hard to come by used, I might as well well go the new, customized route, no?

12. amc

amc Member

13. amc

amc Member

[​IMG]

Gerard makes great guitars.

14. jeremym19

jeremym19 Member

consider Rice Customs too. Very personal and friendly people there who will do whatever you would like to the guitar. Great finishes too, www.ricecustomguitars.com

15. angelo

angelo Member

I have a Mel. But also had and sold one. The guitars are high quality and about as flawless as you can get. Yet every guitar is a unique individual that may sour immediately or last a lifetime.

I only jumped in here to try and add some perspective on the necks. I have played standard, +.20 and +.40 for substantial periods of time.

IMO - Standard carve is a very thin strat. +.20 IS THE SAME as my '62 RI Fender. +.40 seems like a valid tele neck / bit on the thick side strat.

16. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I got this one in trade and I absolutely love it.

[​IMG]

17. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I can see why!!! My, what a beautiful guitar...

Here's mine: (should be here tomorrow...)

[​IMG]

18. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Nice, Mojo, very nice! Both of those Mels are beauties, for sure. I have a bit of a wait until mine are ready. Ah well, it'll be worth it.

19. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Maybe I missed the thread... but what are the specs of the two you are having built?

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Gerard is Melancon guitars; it's as perfect an instrument as I've ever owned and he's damn near spoiled me for all other guitars.

And yes, I had a custom built Thorn.

I've shown my two a million times, and I'll show them again. I am extremely partial to the +.40 oversized neck carve; it's a perfect fit for me.

IMHO, nobody on the planet has better wood than Gerard. He's the truest of craftsman and I've never had a more expressive guitar than my #1. My #2 ain't bad either. :D

[​IMG]