1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Melancon, GT Soul-O 45, G-System Clip

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Scott Peterson, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Here is a quickie take I did to show the different things you can do with this simple setup.

The guitar is my 04 Melancon Custom Artist "S" with WCR SR/SR/Goodwood pickups. All the clean stuff played here is on the neck SR pickup; the heavier stuff is on the bridge Goodwood.

The G-System is very slick. You have 4 or 5 analog loops (depending on how your setup is). I have a Red Witch Moon Phaser in Loop 1, Timmy in Loop 2, and Xotic AC Booster in Loop 3.

I recorded this with a SM57 right up on the grille, no EQ, compression or limiting going in or post. Cut straight to a MP3 and here you are.

Enjoy!Click here to get to my Soundclick page, then click on "Melancon GT G-Sys Clip"

Here is a cheat sheet of what you'll hear:

00:00 Straight into amp
    00:11 Timmy
    00:13 AC Boost
    00:28 AC/Timmy
    00:39 Straight into amp
    00:46 G-Sys Wah
    01:39 Straight into amp
    01:42 G-Sys Vintage Phaser
    01:53 G-Sys Phaser + Pitch
    02:00 G-Sys Phaser + Pitch + Delay
    02:14 G-Sys Phaser + Pitch + Delay +Red Witch Moon Phaser
    02:41 Timmy
    02:55 Timmy + G-Sys Wah
    03:18 AC Boost
    03:40 AC Boost + Tim
    03:54 AC Boost + Tim + G-Sys Boost
    04:11 AC Boost + Tim + G-Sys Wah
    04:22 AC Boost + Tim + Phaser
    Then I added the Red Witch, then Pitch, then Delay....
    05:00 Straight into amp
    05:10 G-Sys Delay

You can do a lot more, such as clean boosts at any time (clean, with any arrangement of gain pedals) and I didn't show the rest of the tricks in the thing (compressor, whammy pedal, octaver, etc..) but you get the picture.

2. AD

AD Supporting Member

I like the phaser on the G system - how easy is it to fiddle around with the G System (say compared to the XT live)? - alex

3. Scott Peterson

Much faster and easier on the G-System. But, at 3X the price (almost 4X) it *should* be.

It is 4X the unit at least. Top notch in every way. I am very satisfied with this purchase.

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I remember another post regarding your hesitance and eventual realization that you don't need the G-System.

What changed your mind... seemed like you pretty much decided not to get one?

Why not an Eventide Eclipse? The Eclispe can be had for about $1500- 1600... and has stellar fx.

5. Scott Peterson

Simple really.

The Eclipse doesn't do what I wanted. The G-System does. The efx on the G-System sound damn good to my ear; and hopefully the clip shows that as far as it can.

The controller is elegant, solid and easy to use. The efx are all excellent, the wah just kills me in a good way. It has one small cord CAT5 cable back to the rack where the pedals are housed. The expression pedal wires into the controller, no long cables back to the rack outside of the one CAT5.

Built in tuner. Simple interface. Computer editor coming. The analog loops.

I priced out doing systems from seperate peices, including the Eclipse among many others; and for the money I cannot get near what the G-System does; and even where I can get close, it is far more cumbersome and complicated to both setup and maintain.

IMHO, this is the best all-in-one solution going, and I don't want for anything except a rotary effect; and I'll have that when Line 6 ships the Roto-Machine (slated for Loop #4 on the G-System).

And there you are. :D

6. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Sounds good to me!

I would like to play out in a couple of years... when the kids get older. I want a very simple rig, and it seems like the G-system is a great solution.

I'm very interested in how it will fair under the time test, since I'm in no rush to get one now. If the foot controller is as durable as the Custom Audio or Access foot controllers, then I believe TC has hit a homerun!

Clips sound great... probably sounds even better live!

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

Great clip for the Tim/Timmy as well,.

8. flydef

flydef Member

Scott,

What tube combination and speaker is in the soul-0 45?

9. Scott Peterson

The speaker is the stock Eminence "Classic Clone".

The tubes are Mullard CV4004 in V1, GT12AU7 in V2, GT12AT7 in V3, GT12AX7M in V4, and Telefunken ECC83 in V5. Power tubes are NOS Phillips 7581A's. Biased at 29mA.