Melancon guitars

T

thijs

I own a pro artist (serial is 946) and it is the best guitar I ever owned!!)I owned too many...).

Chech gerard melancon's guitars and you'll be convinced..

greetings,

thijs

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Even though the Pro Artist's I've tried weren't a good fit for me, the construction, fretwork, and attention to detail was some of the best I've seen. Also, being located in the Louisana swamplands, Gerard has access to some of the best swamp ash on the planet.

Kappy

Welcome to the forum, thijs. You'll find no shortage of Melancon fans here, myself included (I have a Pro Artist and a Pro Artist T). There are other good Melancon threads here, here, and here.

Have fun!

Dave

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
Did you say Melancon? :D Flat out, my #1 guitar

My 2004 Custom Artist "S"

And tied for #2 with my Thorn, my 2005 Custom Artist "T"

Brian Scherzer

Staff member
I almost feel silly replying to threads about Melancon, simply because I run the Melancon Forum and am friends with Gerard. Yet, I'll say it again......After getting a Melancon bass, I sold all of my other basses because this one did what I needed. By the end of July I will have a Melancon guitar to "noodle" with. I didn't want anything fancy, so I just asked Gerard to make the body Olympic White with a matching headstock, and everything else was up to him to decide. He knows what I like to play, so I figure that letting a luthier do his thing unimpeded was the way to go (I did specify neck size!).

T

thijs

Good to hear that a lot more people like well-made guitars.
Most of the stuff that comes from a large company (fender, gibson) is too badly made considering what you pay for it..

I am considering buying another Melancon. First I will sell some other guitars (like a Blade strat and tele and a Gibson jazzguitar).

See you guys soon!!

Thijs

CS'56

Originally posted by Scott Peterson

Absolutely stunning!:dude

M

Mike Cantrell

+1!

My Mel Classic Artist is a keeper. One of the finest strat style guitars I've ever had my hands on.

OldSchool

I can't believe the prices on used Melacons.........maybe the best deals in guitarland..............:cool: :dude

H

hemlock

Originally posted by OldSchool
I can't believe the prices on used Melacons.........maybe the best deals in guitarland..............:cool: :dude
I just got a used Pro Artist T and I have to agree. Wonderful guitar and an astounding deal considering the quality.

P351

Originally posted by hemlock
I just got a used Pro Artist T and I have to agree. Wonderful guitar and an astounding deal considering the quality.
You could send me another check- if you want Hemlock!!!!!!

Mark:)

H

hemlock

Originally posted by P351
You could send me another check- if you want Hemlock!!!!!!

Mark:)
But then the deal wouldn't be nearly as astounding.:D

hendrix2430

Originally posted by Scott Peterson

Gaaah..!

Did you get those through a dealer?

How long did it take Gerard to make them?

Really sublime...:eek:

Mutley

I own a Melancon Pro Artist T and originally ordered it w/Bardens in all three pup positions. The Bardens became scarce and expensive during construction and so I had Gerard put his (DiMarzio stacked) in. Unfortunately I am quite underwhelmed by those pups. I have a chambered ash body w/burled top and RW board and love the feel of the guitar. Can anyone recommend pups that could get me that big glassy sound I might have achieved with the Bardens. I am looking for this guitar to have more character than the current pups give me. I couldn't ask for a better made axe, just couldn't get the pups I had originally spec'd for it.

Ned

elterrell

Originally posted by Mutley
I own a Melancon Pro Artist T and originally ordered it w/Bardens in all three pup positions. The Bardens became scarce and expensive during construction and so I had Gerard put his (DiMarzio stacked) in. Unfortunately I am quite underwhelmed by those pups. I have a chambered ash body w/burled top and RW board and love the feel of the guitar. Can anyone recommend pups that could get me that big glassy sound I might have achieved with the Bardens. I am looking for this guitar to have more character than the current pups give me. I couldn't ask for a better made axe, just couldn't get the pups I had originally spec'd for it.

Ned
What is the setup? Is it two singles and a tele bridge?

Mutley

The routs are all single coil routs that I just put the stacked SC into. Yes, so there is a neck, middle and bridge all SC. Thanks

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
WCR SR's man. If you don't need noiseless, you'll not find a better SC pickup IMHO. Both my Melancon's (chambered swamp ash with Koa tops) have them in the neck and middle positions. They just work perfectly for my ear.

Trending Topics