Melancon owners: Classic Artist T question

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by hendrix2430, Dec 22, 2005.

1. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi, I'm looking seriously at a Melancon Classic Artist T, but I wonder how close it will get to the traditional tele sound, primarly due to the fact it has a hardtail bridge and a hollow body. (similar to the Anderson T, I think)

Anyone has any experience with such a guitar, and what is your take? Here are the specs of the guitar in question:

Hollow swamp ash / Maple top
    Bare Knuckle "The Boss" single coils (which should beef up the wood combo)
    Q sawn Maple/maple neck
    6150 frets
    hardtail Melancon bridge

Any comments on the Melancon bridge and it's quality?
    Any other comments on Melancon's craftmanship (fretwork, assembly, overall luthiery), as opposed to other "boutique" builders out there?

Thanks and merry christmas guys!

2. jordanL

jordanL Member

I won 2 Mels- the Bridge he uses is the type you would find on a Hardtail strat. The guitar has a "modern vintage" feel to it. Gerard tends to get excellent quality ash, his guitars are usually on the light side. Build quality and Mojo are tops.

A chambered tele is going to sound different from a solid body, regardless of luthier. If you're seeking the 50's tele sound, you'll wand a solid ash body.

3. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

well, I'm not necessarily looking for a 50's tele sound...I'm actually curious about the hollow body. By the way, is the Mel's "hollow" body just a chambering or a thinline design?

4. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I own a Mel Classic Artist strat-style, and the build quality is on par w/ anything out there. Top quality all the way. As stated, Mels are more of a "modern" take on classic designs than say, a Don Grosh, which goes for the total vintage vibe.
    My Mel is the most "in tune" guitar I have ever played. No matter where you are on the neck it just sounds perfect. Fretwork is flawless and "normal", as compared to the Don Grosh "sausage-frets". Never been a fan of that, but some people dig it.
    Mels are the best deal going in "boutique" guitars right now. Their resale value is pretty low, but seems to be slowly rising as more people find out about them.

A

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've never owned a Melancon, but I've played many of them and I have yet to play one that I didn't want to own ;) . Someday I'm sure I will...

Absolutely fantastic guitars. Very high build quality, beautiful playability. I'm sure Gerard Melancon himself is accessible enough to answer your questions concerning the cahmbering...

6. TBone

TBone Member

+1 for all the above .

Have a Melancon Pro Artist Strat - incredible guitar from an incredible guy!

Tbone:AOK

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I own 2 Melancon Guitars. #1 is a Mahogany Body Strat with a Maple top and the Other #2 is a Tele style. The Tele has a Hollow Swamp Ash Body. He builds Very nice Guitars! Lots of Attention to Details. Great Player, and Lots o Mojo.

8. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Well, I got this today, and I can say it's unbelievable. The playability is incredible, the finish is flawless and the tone...superb. Really an incredible instrument. I may start looking at pro artists more seriously...thanks again for the advice guys! :)

[​IMG]

9. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

PS: (sorry for the cliché but...) it sounds even better than it looks,...really!

10. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

'suse me while I whip this out!

[​IMG]

Gerard is a magician.

11. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Member

Hey Eristic,

I remeber yours came with a six saddle bridge, did you
    switch it out. Did it require any drilling or any other work?

12. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I ordered mine with the plate and barrels. Here's a pic from the day I got it:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/112416336/159069758nsYbVr

13. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

nice guitars!

I usually like the 3 barrel bridge on teles better, but I'm really liking how this mel sounds, so I'll just leave it as is. Melancon makes some fine instruments...it's a shame you don't hear much about them (compared to suhr, anderson and grosh mostly).

14. schmit

schmit Member

Melancon quality it fantastic....One thing to take into consideration is the early serial #'s (up to around 400 I think) had a truss rod that operates backwards....clockwise to add relief...the reason for this was the rods were the adjust at the body type and installed to adjust at the headstock. Most Mels use Melancon branded Gotoh bridges....the trems are a modified Gotoh 1099TW 10.8mm w/ 2 1/8" string spacing. I assume the hardtails are Gotoh's as well. I have 2 and my Classic Artist S with a chambered swamp ash /quilt top will have to be pryed from my cold dead hands....it's the most harmonicly rich S type Ive ever owned.

15. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Cool! My email address is in my profile! :D

16. angelo

angelo Member

I own 2 Mels -- Custom Artist S and a solid, one piece ash, T. I had a pro S for a while.

I have never had a problem with the bridges.

As you know, a chambered ash body with a maple top won't sound "traditional" no matter who the builder.

No complaints with any parts of the instruments.

17. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I've heard nothing but 100% positive reviews of Gerard's stuff. The only ones I've gotten to check out were a few that he custom-built for atop touring band you'd all know, and those were absolutely killer guitars.

My favorite local dealer has a few on order, and I'm REALLY looking forward to checking those out when he gets 'em in!

18. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Initial tone impression is that it sounds very lively, very punchy, and my initial fear about the (relatively) high output pickups (bare knuckles "the boss") being too thick sounding is gone. Incredible sounds through my fuchs'.

The bridge pickup is spectacular sounding! Incredibly punchy, cutting and balanced tone, only enhanced by the swamp ash back/ maple top construction. Their definitely is a difference from traditional teles with 3 barrel bridges/ solid bodies I've played, but for the better IMO. I'm a big fan of the tele bridge pickup sound, and this mel sounds like a tele, but a warmer, bigger sounding tele.

The neck pickup is very warm sounding, and sounds very nice for clean/semi clean tones, but I doubt i'll go there very often for more midrangey overdriven sounds.

Overall, an amazing sounding and playing instrument, and i'm very impressed by this guitar. Now I'm curious about their pro artists. Anyone can compare them with more vintage-ey strats?

Thanks!

19. angelo

angelo Member

Well, the standard neck is 1 11/16 and flatter and thinner than a trad neck.

My pro T is 1 5/8 plus .040" and it is a nice fat tele neck. Not like the fattest ones (that would be .060). It is also a 9" radius (a little flatter than old school).

To compare to my '82 built '62 strat reissue, I'd say 1 5/8 bridge with +.020 would be right there.

THe standard neck is why I believe a lot of people hang that modern vintage moniker on Mels.