Melancon P90 Artist - replace pickups?

funkle

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a killer P90 Artist. Thanks Merlin!

I found that the non-hum canceling (middle) toggle position is by far my favorite. The noiseless positions are just thinner and inferior IMO. This leads me to believe that a nice boutique set of P90s would make this baby really sing - not that it sounds bad with the Duncans. Are any of you guys replacing the pickups? What are you using? One thing I like about this guitar is that it is a little more refined and less raw sounding that other P90 guitars (I like the raw too, but it is good to have alternatives). I'd like to keep that I think, since I have the Loller equipped Hamer Artist which is a one RAW(k) guitar!

Stephen Landry

I replaced the Duncans in my old P90 Artist with a set of underwound Fralins and was very pleased. Gorgeous smooth tone. I still miss that guitar.

tommc

I highly recommend the vintage vibe P-90s. Check them out here. They come with both alnico and ceramic magnets which you can swap yourself. I have a set in my Les Paul Deluxe and they are not coming out. Reasonably priced too in my opinion.

I highly recommend the vintage vibe P-90s. Check them out here. They come with both alnico and ceramic magnets which you can swap yourself. I have a set in my Les Paul Deluxe and they are not coming out. Reasonably priced too in my opinion.

Another vote for VVG :)

Merlin

Hey Sven,

Glad you are enjoying the Mel; it's truly a beauty. Let's us know what you decide on the new PUPs.

big mike

Fire Josh McDaniels!
Platinum Supporting Member
Pete makes good stuff.

I'll also toss out Wolfetone for some killer P90s.

funkle

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard good things about the VVGs

I replaced the Duncans in my old P90 Artist with a set of underwound Fralins and was very pleased. Gorgeous smooth tone. I still miss that guitar.

The Fralins are high on my list. I've wanted to try some Suhr S90s too. I don't really know what to expect from the Suhrs, other than they should be great if they're anything like the other Suhr PUs.

TomK

I'm having a set of TV Jone Filtertrons fitted to my P90 artist as we speak.
http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/tv_classic.htm

He makes the filtertrons in a p90 housing in either cream or black. My P90 artist is 6120 orange so I am going with cream.

I have a pretty early P90 artist. The Duncan's have just never really floated my boat. Too dark and muddy over all. After playing a Cajun artist at NAMM last month I fell in love with the TV Jones pick-ups. After discussing it with Gerard we decided to make the change.

YMMV.

Kalalau Hiker

Silver Supporting Member
I am also considering switching P90s in two of my Mels

anyone use Lolars/Rio Grandes/ any thing else?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom