Melancon versus Suhr?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by raildog, Feb 23, 2006.

1. raildog

raildog Member

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Both make a fine instrument...........Thats like saying Blondes are better then Redheads.........Both can be amazing but it all comes down to you . ;)

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Raildog, a bit of advice for you. When you get up into the ranks of guys like Suhr, Melancon, Lentz, Callaham, Chapin, Tyler, GVCG, etc...there is no "better" only "different". We're not talking about teh difference between MIM, MIJ, and USA mass-produced Strats and Tele's, we're talking about instruments as works of art on the level where you ask to compare which is better.

Any of the small company builders regularly gushed over here on TGP are praised for a reason. They all make outstanding instruments. None of them are necessarilly better, but they are all the best at what they do.

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

They are both excellent builders. My personal preference between the 2 would be for Suhr, in part because I like Suhr's pickups, especially his T "Broadcaster" pickup...

5. Balance

Balance Member

I second enharmonic's sentiments, there is no absolute better when you're talking about the premier small shop guitar craftsmen.

Beyond that though, what are you planning on playing? What kind of body shape? What kinds of pickups? What kinds of woods? What kind of neck carve? Is weight a consideration? If you answer at least these questions, someone here might be able to guide you in a productive direction.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

John has that badass hawg....Gerard has that voodoo dust.

It would be great fight.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I'd prolly bet it both ways but would put an extra 100 dead presidents on Suhr. He's a fricken wild man.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

It truly comes down to personal preference at this level. There is no "better" except in regards to how they work for your needs.

Suffice to say both are of the highest order in any regard.

9. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I would like Suhr for the Stainless Frets but if IIRC the Mel's are better priced.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Used prices on both are great deals but Used prices on the Mel's are steals... the other way to look at it is that a Suhr has better resale value

11. jordanL

jordanL Member

I own 2 mels, both are outstanding players. I've played 2 suhrs in the past, also excellent. When one reaches the upper ecehelons or craftmanship your getting different chefs take on the same recipe. Each Luthier as a little bit different vision, some are seeking a modern take, some a classic, and some a blend. A think that a bxoing match between the two, would go to the end and end on a controversial split decision.

12. raildog

raildog Member

Thanks for the comments, I want a strat, vintage type guitar ,with maple neck and nitro finish. something that is around 6.5lbs, I am currently trying to sell my G&l legacy to try a melancon, it seems to be the best bargain. thanks,Scott

13. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I own them both. When it comes time to go to a gig they both come along. Both are high quality guitars that the makers put their heart and soul into building.

14. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

Raildog,

- Neither Melancon or Suhr uses Nitro for finishes. Grosh, Fender Custom Shop and Nash are the only guitars still done in nitro (other than some other very small luthiers).
    - Unless you are going with a hollow chambered body a 6.5lb weight for a solid Strat is next to impossible. LOw 7lb range is considered very light.

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

16. landru64

landru64 Member

sadowsky will do nitro finishes. 6.5lbs is pretty tough as alder keeps getting heavier it seems. my experience is that you may as well get a chambered guitar at that point because such a light guitar often sounds kind of 'light' -- no bottom-- to my ears.

p.s. my friend brad's melancon is really nice. i'd like to steal it.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

You had to mention the "S" word didn't you!? :eek:

I played a Sadowsky a few months back and it was really an amazing guitar............I didn't dig the pre amp thingy, but the guitar practically played itself. :RoCkIn

18. landru64

landru64 Member

i'm always slinging S%$#%$# around here. the preamp can be a godsend tho but it's entirely optional on his guitars.... typical but not required at all. only half of my sadowskys have it.

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Sadowsky Guitars are indeed great

20. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

you can't get a better bolt-on than these guys!!

The only fair way is to get some of each!!
    Suhr Carve
    [​IMG]

Suhr Standard
    [​IMG]

Melancon Classic Artist

[​IMG]