Mellencamp: Whenever we wanted tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ruppert240, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

Any one know what amps were used on this album? I was digging out some old stuff to play for a road trip and found this album.

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Great tones from Grissom on that album. I'd say an old JTM45 and maybe a Matchless Clubman.

3. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

yeah I really dig the tones on this album. I'm getting old (hit the big 27) and am really starting to appreciate more low and mid gain tones, just trying to find a good starting point, unfortunately this site makes me want to do bad things to my bank accounts :D

4. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Yup that album is one of my favs tonewise. Def JTM45 for Grissom, at least on the more overdriven stuff. "Love and Happiness" rhythm is killer. Also love the tone on the solo to "Now More than Ever"

5. Sammo

Sammo Member

Guitar Player had a feature on Grissom around time that record was released ... I remember he said he used then new Marshall JCM900 and he shared his settings, too. I'll check if I can find it when I go home.

6. johan

johan Member

Bitten by the Grissom bug? ;)
    Check out Joe Ely's Liberty Lunch and James McMurtrys Candyland.

7. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

JCM900, blasphemy!! ;)

I remember seeing them live on tv during NYE around that time (92??) and they played Love and Happiness, he had JTM45 and 4x12, his tone was identical to the album. But...it is Grissom, Im sure he could pull that tone from anything.

8. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

I've been able to coax some passable sounds out of a friends jcm900, but I really find it hard to believe that is what I'm hearing on that album. The only the part I can think of being a jcm 900, is the one part in the beginning of "melting pot", it's sorty of thin and buzzy like a jcm 900.

9. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

Agreed!

10. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

This is the record with "Get a Leg Up", right? That sounds very old Marshall to me.

Mike

11. Sammo

Sammo Member

This is from the December '91 issue of Guitar Player:

"For the whole record", he goes on, "I used a brand-new Marshall cabinet with the reissue Celestion 25s, and a lot of time I used a brand new JCM-900 head. I was really surprised how well it records, altough live it might not have enough low end for me".

On amps in general:

David's favourite amp is a '72 50-watt Marshall, "which has been modified so you can just plug into the upper left input and still get lots of low end." He also has stock '72 Lead, a '69 100-watt, and a '68-watt P.A. head. "Marshall is actually making some good amps now", he nods. "You can plug into low-sensitivity input of a JCM-800 and turn both volumes to about 8, and it sounds really close to an old Marshall".

He does not say what he used when JCM-900 was not used, though. Hope this helps.

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Hands down one of my favorite rock albums of all time, and favorite players.

13. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

yes sir.

14. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

That's funny, and old friend and I were watching recording from an old gig and we said the same thing about his jcm900. hated it in person but recorded very well.

15. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

Sammo, thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated!