Mellow sounding picks?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mbell75, Dec 6, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Currently using Fender medium celluloid picks and they just makes some of my power chords sound weird too often. Like too chimey and brittle at times. Play the same chords with my index finger and it sounds awesome but I'll tear my finger up doing it all the time. What is a more mellow sounding pick? Acrylic? Nylon?

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Acrylic chirps like a piece of glass, nylon is quite smooth, a bit softer than the clicky celluloid picks. Delrin is very smooth as well, I am also a fan of the Dunlop jazztones , some kinda softish plastic. A thicker pick can blunt things too, kinda like how your thumb is warmer than your fingernail.

Bb7, Caprica and mbell75 like this.
  3. p.j.

p.j. Member

D'Andrea Plecs have a nice, mellow sound and not very expensive. I like them a lot. Wood picks can also have a mellow sound.

Jmal, russ6100 and guitarjazz like this.
  4. Caprica

Caprica Supporting Member

I played jazz tones for a while and loved them until I lost them all :-( I have some wooden picks that are nice and warm.

btw Has anyone tried Jim Dunlop Prime Tones?

mbell75 and cubistguitar like this.
  5. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I have tried the prime tones as well, good picks, the brown ones are softer, the more transparent ones have some click and chirp, but not as much as a V pick. I didn’t fall in love with them, I felt they had a good material, but needed a greater range of thickness and shape. I like smallish thick picks, used to use jazz III picks, but fell in love with the jazztones. If I had unlimited resources, I would have buckets of blue chips, but the 3 I have are very cool. That is probably the ultimate soft material that doesn’t seem to wear much. Very warm tones, but articulate. Too much money to properly enjoy.

Caprica likes this.
  6. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Try a thicker version of the same pick. I use Fender 358 extra heavy on my electrics to warm them up and the same pick in medium to heavy to get a little more snap and brightness.

Tone Loco likes this.
  7. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

The extra heavy is good advice. There's more meat to it and you don't get any fwap from the pick slapping around on the string after the initial hit.

You might also try Pickboys - whatever is in their jazz picks sounds really warm. It's like a horn player getting a whole new mouthpiece - going from a student model to the real deal. To me anyhow.

8. monty

monty Member

Love the Primetone. There is a good thread going on about them in the effects section if you are interested.

9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

If good enough for Adam Rogers then good enough for me by golly.

Bryan T, russ6100 and p.j. like this.
  10. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

Rotate your pick by 120 degrees in either direction. Restated, do not use the "pointy" corner ... use one of the two rounded corners.

Works for Pat Metheny, works for me, works for others ... and it's free.

pats, Beagle1, Tag and 3 others like this.
  11. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I once bought a Howling Monkey guitar pick (it was like $11). They are hand-made, but wow - do they sound pretty and feel great. I do recall that mine had a very warm sound. Soft and pretty. I never lost the pick, but I wore it out from overuse. I never re-ordered, but maybe you could try one. https://howlingmonkeypicks.com/

12. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I've also tried the Prime Tone picks. They are nice, with two beveled edges. Very good for soft playing.

Playing hard and soft is in the hands of the picker, not the pick.

My preference for a great pick is easily the ugly green Gator pick 1.5, they are designed to have a rough finish, much like the result of using fine sandpaper. The edges are super smooth and never pit or shred like nylon picks do. I bought my last batch three years ago and I have lost all but four. Not one has a pit after three years, and they don't wear down. I remember how the Fender extra heavy would wear away the tip over a year. Not so with the Gator picks, totally in form after three years.

cubistguitar likes this.
  13. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

V-Picks and Gravity Picks, in any thickness above 1.5, are inaudible if you play them that way. I like them both, with a light edge for the V-Picks.

Eddie 70 likes this.
  14. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

If you got the dough at $35 per pick, try a Blue Chip pick.

15. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Try the Wes pick, certified as 'most mellow':

16. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Good suggestions, thanks. Ive heard good things about the Jazz Tones. How are the Dunlop Tortex picks?

17. p.j.

p.j. Member

I lost mine. I never spent that much on a pick again.

18. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Tortex are fine picks, but the material is more clicky than the delrin material. That said, a slightly broken in Tortex can be very pleasant. The Tortex is meant to ape turtleshell much like the celluloid was years before, all those options have some scrape and click.

19. Caprica

Caprica Supporting Member

I like tortex picks for playing rhythm on an acoustic. Just the right amount of click.

20. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

+100 on the tortex picks... if they're 'too mellow" for you, try the Ultex. Kinda a cross between Tortex and Celluloid. I use Dunlop Ultex 0.90 and it's a very good middle-of-the-road pic for mellow but still 'snappy' sounds. I keep a few Tortex on hand for my Tel and Strat picking.