Mellow sounding picks?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mbell75, Dec 6, 2017.

1. russ6100

russ6100 Member

Yeah, the Pro Plecs. The 1.5 mm, little guys with the slightly (ever so) rounded tip.

Nothing like them.

They'll pry them from my cold, arthritic fingers.

guitarjazz and Bryan T like this.
  2. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

D'Andrea Pro Plecs, for sure.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I’m a big fan of D’Andrea Pro Plecs. The Pick Boy Jazz picks are nice, too.

russ6100 and guitarjazz like this.
  4. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I have done the same.

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I found my first D'Andrea on a music stand at recording studio. It was a cosmic moment...kinda like finding my Excalibur....sorta, 'cept I didn't become king.

russ6100 likes this.
  6. russ6100

russ6100 Member

I ordered a batch of D'Andrea Pro Plecs after finding out that Adam Rogers used them. I was thinking that there's no way he was using something like a Jazz III or anything like that. He would have to dump his tone control to kill that attack but I could tell that he wasn't. So I found out what he used and bought some.

Nice fat tone without rolling off the tone control too much.

7. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Member

I am really enjoying my V Picks Red Rocker. I've been using it for a couple of years now it still plays great. If I am playing a fast solo, I sometimes pick up on a click but most of the time I don't notice it. You can also turn to a round every and it glides across the strings.

8. RJLII

RJLII Member

I've used these for years. I bought a gross 25 or so years ago. The points are more relaxed than on standard shaped picks and combined with the thickness they sound less "picky". As a bonus, you have three identical picking surfaces. They last forever.

[​IMG]

9. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

What I want know is, if we lose picks all the time,, what else do we lose without knowing or noticing it?

10. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

What other things do we use in daily life that are that small and thin. Keys maybe? But those are normally tied down one way or another and you really can't keep picks on a leash and still be able to use them. Maybe small change, but that has the benefit of being bright and shiny, and making a noticeable sound if it hits the ground. Drop a normal pick in a dark place, like a lot of playing situations are, and good luck finding it.

I've actually found a fair number of (other people's) picks just during the course of daily life. Most of them aren't ones I'd use though.

11. guirat

guirat Member

I agree, very mellow sound. Too mellow for me in fact (I like some brightness) so I prefer the D'andrea .96 cellulose picks. I believe CF Martin picks are the same (as D'andrea cellulose), just branded.

SteveC356 likes this.