Melodic punk?

Primakurtz

A very partial list:

Pixies, The Vibrators, Sex Pistols, The Stooges, The Clash, New York Dolls, Agent Orange, Weezer, The Damned, The Who, Generation X, Ramones, Gang of Four, The Dictators, The Replacements, The Undertones, Buzzcocks, X, Primasonic.

The last one may be a stretch on the "relevant" bit.
And yes, The Who and the Stooges are prototypical melodic punk rock, in my book.

Knuckles

The Descendants and All top my list - they are the blueprint from which Green Day, Blink 182, Offspring, etc. have all ripped off their sound.
I'd also consider Bad Religion pretty damn melodic, with huge backing vocals, harmonies, etc. Same with Social Distortion, but with more of a country / rockabilly sensibility.

coldfingaz

Yup, Descendents belong near the top of the list. Looking forward to an ALL show in Brooklyn next month!

Nobody will ever do it better than the Ramones did.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
Number one for me, without question, is The Primitive's album "Lovely". Is there a more fun punky song than "Stop Killing Me"?

mr tom

The primary difference between "old school" punk and hardcore. I love the first, the second...no, thanks, except in very small doses.

For newer bands, check out Rancid - Tim Armstrong can write a melody with the best of 'em.

lpfella

For me it is Dillinger Four by a long shot.

Against me is up there as well.

Q and Not U

Antelope

Many others but D4 tops my list.

Trending Topics