Melted pick guard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rmg471, Feb 23, 2015.

1. rmg471

rmg471 Member

All,

I was soldering a treble bleed into my strat this weekend, all went well. When I reinstalled the pick guard, I realized there was one spot about the size of a pea between the bridge and middle pickups that looked "different." You cannot see it unless you get the light shined just right across the gloss of the pick guard. But when you do, you can tell the back of the pick guard got hot. A piece of solder must have fallen onto the shielding and was hot enough to warm the plastic.

The plastic isn't burned, and you can't feel it, but you can see it from the front. This is probably something so minor that it would only bother me, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has had this happen and if there's a "fix."

I believe I'm only worried about it because the guitar is 3 days old and it happens to be one of the Fender American Vintage 54s that they are only making 1,954 of. I've looked for a replacement pickguard (white, single ply,. 060", plastic) from Fender, and they offer replacements for every year but the 54.

Thoughts?

Ryan

2. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Member

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

I don't think a .060 Single-ply 8-hole white guard would be that difficult to obtain ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Consider it your first "ding", ...just play it, enjoy it, and add plenty more!

5. rmg471

rmg471 Member

I took a dremel and a polishing compound to the plastic. Less than a desirable result. I've ordered another (. 060") pick guard from Warmoth. They're the only place I found that thickness.

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Dremel isn't the way to go, it's very, very bad at making things flat. Use the scotch tape on a razor blade trick to take down the hump, then progressive grades of sandpaper followed by polishing.