Memory Lane...1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jove, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jove

Jove Member

Hey guys,

Just a couple questions about the Memory Lane(s)..

Im shopping for a delay to put on my board to do delay that is higher in the mix. Something strong and that has a character of its own in the vein of Daniel Lanois or the Edge. I normally run two styles of delays...one to do that style sound and one for a more typical background solo delay. Almost reverby and far back in the mix..

Ive had my heart set on the ML2 and have been contemplating pulling the trigger this week. In the past day or so though, I've wondered if I really need the 2. I'm a little unclear as to how the two different delays function and am wondering if I need both of them. If I'm reading correctly, you can set one of them by the delay time knob and the other controlled by Tap Tempo. I'm guessing though that their mix, EQ and Modulation settings have to be the same? I can't think of how I would necessarily use that. If I have one set at about 50/50 in the mix and can tap it (really all I need) and then switch it to the other delay, it will still be 50/50 just a different speed? Why wouldn't I just tap my first delay differently?

Now, I may just be wrong about that in which case I could probably get away with using the Memory Lane 2 to do BOTH styles of delay that I use. That would be pretty cool!

If I'm right though, I may just look for a version 1 of the ML and pick up a Carbon Copy for my background delays. Unless you guys convince me that I still need the 2 even if I won't use the 2 delays. (The .1/8th subdivision doesn't mean a lot to me..)

Thanks and hopefully I'm making some sense..

J

2. Jove

Jove Member

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I have the ML1, not the 2, but from reading the website I would assume the two delay times are just times, not two whole settings of mix/modulation/feedback, etc. The ML2 has more than just dotted eighths and two delays, they also tweaked some other stuff so you can change how easily the pedal self-oscillates and I'm sure they made some other small upgrades. That being said, the ML1 is still a great delay and the basic sound of the ML1 and ML2 should be comparable.

If you just want to be able to change the mix on the fly, I would talk to the guys at Diamond, they might be able to put an expression jack on the side that would let you change the MIX with your foot.

Otherwise go with two delays :) You're going to love whatever ML you get!!

4. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

5. Jove

Jove Member

Yeah, thanks!

I'm aware of all the improvements but it's hard to say they all make a difference to me. I think I'll just go with the 2 and if I love it as much as I expect, maybe buy a v.1 and later compare them.

Maybe I can make use of the DLY1/DLY2 switch by using the "Slapback mode" where I believe I can set one up for tap and the other for a automatic slapback..

Hmm...

J

6. awallace

awallace Member

Hey Jove, that's exactly the idea behind the slapback switch- to have one delay time with a single repeat and a second delay time with multiple repeats. The slapback switch only affects DLY1.

Regards,

Aimish Wallace
    Diamond Pedals

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

This is a cool dude here!

Thanks again for the work you and Mike do!

8. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Amish - does it change both the delay time and the feedback, or just the delay time?

9. Jove

Jove Member

I think like he said in your quote, it changes the delay time to very short and also changes the feedback to one repeat regardless of where you have the other delay (DLY2) set.

Very cool feature!

J

10. awallace

awallace Member

Hello all, just to clarify, the slapback switch only affects the feedback of DLY1- you can still have any delay time for DLY1 you want but there will be a single repeat when the slapback switch is engaged. Everyone's idea of the perfect slapback time is different and often depends on the song so we wouldn't want to limit anyone to a specific delay time.

Honestly, it takes a few minutes to wrap your head around the various functions but once you get your feet on the pedal and the manual in hand for a few minutes it becomes very easy to navigate the feature set.

Regards,

Aimish Wallace
    Diamond Pedals

11. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Thanks for the clarity and for making such top notch stuff :)

12. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I've owned both (and still have the ML2 on my board) the V2 is a MAJOR keeper! It does so many things and it does them all VERY well indeed!
    I don't use the 'slapback' function but the dotted 8th is real cool and the tap-delay on D2 is great! The pedal just sounds better than the V1 to me...component-wise it may not be any different but...the modulation sounds richer and the delay 'tone' sounds a bit more musical to me than the V1. Very versatile and very musical pedal...BEAUTIFUL! ;)

oh, and I've been down the road when it comes to delays and echoes (just look at my moniker) tried and used em all.

13. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

i bought a ML1 custom colored and 8th modded off ebay for 400...

worth getting the ml2?

14. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

haha
    where am I going to use spaceship sounds in a church setting anyhow :dude

15. woude

woude Member

Ha, I do that all the time. :dude They love it. :AOK

16. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

hahaaaaaa sweet

17. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I self-oscillate at church too! That's got to be one of the weirdest sentences I've ever written, but it's true. I think of it as making a musical mosaic, taking something ugly/broken and making it beautiful. Very church appropriate.

18. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

Do the people at church appreciate this kind of art...or do they think your amp is demon possessed? :Devil

19. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Haha, I definately wouldn't do this at a lot of churches, but mine's young and artsy, they get it.

20. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Anyway, back to gear. DML and DML2 sound fantastic. I'm redesinging my pedalboard and I'll finally have room for the expression pedal. That ought to make oscillation more fun :)