1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memory Lane + Blue Boy Questions and First Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jan 10, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hi guys,

Well after a long morning of getting my wisdom teeth out and being sedated for the first time in my life, i woke up from my nap to realize that I had received both my Memory Lane (From TGP: TBHUEY) and i also received my MI Audio Blue Boy (From TGP: Brion). First i'd like to say thank you to both sellers for their fast shipping and great packing.

Well anyways, i wasn't going to get a little drowsiness and aching stop me from playing with my new toyz. So i got out of bed, plugged in and CRANKED my ftr37!

Originally i was hesitant to buy the Memory Lane because i wasn't sure it was worth over 200 bucks more than my DD-20 ... but within moments ... i stripped my dd-20 off the board and that was the end of that. This pedal just sounds absolutely beautiful. I LOVE the modulation and i can't wait to play with the effect loop with other mod Effects. I only played for about 10 minutes before i started feeling pretty crappy so I had to stop.

But this leads me to my first questions:
    1. This is my first experience with an analog delay and i would like to learn how to make the self oscilation sounds that people had been talking about. Any tips?
    2. Any ideas as too what may sound cool in the loop?
    3. I did notice that the delay muddies up slighty with my blue boy driving it, would it be ok to put the blue boy after the delay?

Now for the Blue Boy:
    I bought this used so therefore i have no clue how the stock settings are, but i just plugged right in anyways. This pedal is exactly what i've been looking for. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH overdrive and amazing sustain without having to crank up the gain too much. I'm going to be using this pedal as my smooth medium over drive along with my timmy as my low gain, and i'm hoping my incoming hellbilly will cover all the ugly tones i could ever want and then of course, i have my amazing amp for all tones inbetween

This pedal has completely killed my GAS for a Zendrive or persuing another extremely smooth pedal for rythm playing.

Here are my questions regarding the Blue Boy:
    1. I noticed it is QUITE noisy, which upset me, but i was wondering if any of you had had any tricks, or does this sound like something is wrong?
    2. Does anyone have a picture of the stock trim pot settings on the inside of the pedal?
    3. Is the 45580 chip the stock chip? any ideas for other chips that will keep the smoothness with less noise?

thank you guys so much, after i feel better and play the pedals a bit i'll give a more in depth reveiw of the pedals.

but as for now, i couldn't be happier, these pedals really lit up my day.

thanks, jon

2. drolling

drolling Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of analog delay. The self oscillation on the ML starts at about 12:00, or sooner if you've cranked the EQ. Adding treble'll give you some very nasty runaway oscillation, which is one reason I'm using the loop jack as an expression pedal input. Riding the repeats w/a pedal's one of the coolest tricks the ML brings to the table.

Analog delay typically sounds muddier when combined w/distortion. The only situation I'd live with distortion after delay would be when hooked up to a cranked small amp w/o an effects loop. The ML's actually got quite a bit of clean headroom compared to most analog delays, but I keep a digital delay around for use w/high gain tones.

No experience w/BlueBoy, but I do have a BluesPro on order thanks to GearPage induced gas.

BTW, I've had wisdom teeth extracted and still remember the pain. Get well soon..

3. OOG

OOG Member

hey Jon
    i'm getting my ML tomorrow
    and.....

you should hear the SBEQ in the effects loop of the Tim
    :AOK

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Memory Lane... Mmmm..

The only thing that puzzles me with that pedal is its size. I mean, it's about the same size as my Memory Man and I'm not sure there are enough benefits to justify the price. I guess I'd understand once I had it...

5. themusicboxstudios

i'm missing the SBEQ already!!!! i'm going to give the Morning Dew Eq a chance and if it doesnt pass the test, i'm gonna have to put in another order for the SBEQ. i'm glad you're enjoying it. I'd love to hear what you think of the memory lane. I'm loving it so far, and i can't thank you enough for convincing my to pick up a timmy ... amazing pedal ... i may order a tim soon as well.

btw, any luck namm?

thanks, jon

6. Marcello

Marcello Member

My blue boy is very quiet !

stock trim pot settings is all at 50% according to the manual

my fav chip is the LM1458 which is now the standard one, it's incredibly smooth and more open than the 4558. Other that i really like : LM833 (low noise) and TL072 (could be noiser for you)

Did i say i love my blue boy ? :)

7. themusicboxstudios

hmmm, that smoother/open chip interests me. but that kind worries me that your pedal is very quiet .. mine is a lot noisier than my timmy, and my old bjf EGDM even when both of those were maxed out.

i've tried both the battery it came with as well as my ADl juicebox power supply and i had the same noise.

at one point, it even seemed as if the pedal was acting as a gate ... the signal would become completely silent, until i would strum, then it would sound like nothing it wrong, then it would completely cut off the entire signal. it has stopped doing that, but i thought that was really weird.

it really sounds like something is wrong, but i'm gonna try a brand new battery tomorrow and run the pedal by itself. if that doesn't work, i'm gonna try the new ic chip. and if it all comes down to it, i guess i have to contact mi audio and ship the pedal around the world :(.

i love this pedal, i'm going to do everything possible to make it work.

thanks, jon

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

So the Blue Boy is smoother than a Timmy?

9. erksin

erksin Member

Sort of, yes IMO.

The BB has much more gain on tap, and more mids so it appears to be smoother for that reason I think. What they share however is the same 'grip' upon picking (hard to describe) - I find the BB to sound like a more gained out Timmy with thicker mids - when I switch from Timmy to the BB it sounds like I chained the Timmy with a midbooster with more gain, the 'openness' is still there. The two compliment each other VERY well IMO - to me, the BB sounds like an extention of the Timmy.

curehardy - my BB is dead quiet too. I use the LM833 chip in mine, but it was quiet with the stock chip as well. Where do you have it placed in your chain? Sometimes that can make a difference. If you still have noise issues, contact MI directly - Michael is a GREAT guy and will help you out. You should email him about getting a manual.

I noticed that with the Hellbilly, that you'll have the exact same dirtbox lineup as me - it'll be cool to hear your thoughts on placement/stacking/tweaking once the pain relievers wear off!

10. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Cool thanks. Where do you guys order a Blues Boy? And I thought the Pro was preferable...?

11. erksin

erksin Member

Ricky -

Blue Boys can only be had used - Michael doesn't make them anymore. He's coming out with a 'Deluxe' version with the internal trimmers moved to minipots on the top of the box - should be out soon.

The Blues Pro is a different box - less gain, more limited controls, etc. Not better or worse, just different.

12. themusicboxstudios

thanks guys, i'm going to shoot him an e-mail right now.

and yes, the Blue Boy is the smoothest pedal i've ever played. The notes just sing even at lower gain settings and the chords are beautiful and thick. The pedal is not very transparent ... but it still retains all the high's and lows ... it's like it turns your amp into a milkshake.

and as far as placement in my chain .. i haven't gotten my hellbilly yet ... but what i have right now is .

(HELLBILLY)>BLUE BOY>TIMMY>MEMORY LANE>SWITCHAZEL>SROBOSTOMP IN TUNER MUTE

i had a chance to try the blue boy after the timmy as well and it didn't make a difference noise wise.

i'll let you know if i come up with any cool stacking tones.

thanks, jon

13. erksin

erksin Member

Jon -

If you want to 'open up' the BB, try the LM833 chip and mess with the internal trimmers to taste (I have mine set to the Fat Screamer setting described on the MI site). It takes just a little bit of the thickness out in favor of some air - keeps all the cool overtones, etc. I had a Mosferatu prior to the BB, and I can get close to it's tones but the BB adds a sparkle and complexity that the Mos couldn't do.

Hope Michael can help you out...

14. themusicboxstudios

does anyone have a pdf of the manual by any chance?

thanks again, jon

p.s. i should get my hellbilly today!

15. Marcello

Marcello Member

i tell you, you have to spend some time tweaking the pots, subtle moves can make significant changes since they seem to interact. I'm still discovering sweet spots after one year ! I'm kinda settled on the fat screamer setting.

16. themusicboxstudios

hey guys, good news, i woke up this morning and plugged in again, and the noise is actually very minimal, just slightly more than my timmy. I think there must have been a problem yesterday because i had all my lights, my tv, my computers and my game cube on in my room at the same time, so i think that the power was just acting a bit nutty. anyways, that solved my problem, which makes me an extremely happy camper, i can't wait to get my hellbilly :) :) :)

17. erksin

erksin Member

Do you keep your guitar rig separated from the rest of your A/V and computer stuff electronically? You can pick up a fair amount of RF by sharing the same circuit. Even with the separation and a Furman Power Factor Pro, I can still detect some RF when using my dirt boxes sometimes (I live pretty close to some relay towers)...

18. themusicboxstudios

i actually used a different wall input for everything ... but i do know that when i turn on my tv, my amp buzzes ... so the pedal was probably just amplifying that.

it's all good!

19. erksin

erksin Member

Just because it's a different outlet, doesn't mean that it's a different circuit. You might consider getting a good power conditioner with EMI/RF/AC filtering at some point down the line.