Memory Lane coming my way! A new problem...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Jan 14, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gentlemen,

I finally did it. I ordered the pedal that with the retrosonic chorus first fueled my new GAS outburst last autumn. I always thought that the ML was far too expensive for me, but finally I came to my senses and realised I need this beastie. Yep, sold a Fuzz Factory, Memoryman and a Polychorus in a record time of 18 hours (over one night) and made the order! I'm glad I did!

Anyway, now I found out the polarity on the dc input is reverse to what it normally is on pedals. I can't remeber which way round now, but anyway, I won't be able to use my Cioks power supply just like that with the ML.

Do you guys just use the provided adaptor or have you changed the polarity on your power supply lead tips? How does one go about doing such engineering?

Cheers, guys!

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i've been using the provided power supply ... but i should get my inversed polarity (positive center) cable today or monday. If you're power supply can supply 18 volts from one single input all you need is a simple inverse polarity power cable, i got mine @ www.gtrheaven.com . If youre power supply only provides 9 volts per input, you're going to need to by a Inverse Y-Cable, Diamond provides one on they're site for like 12 bucks ... but i also think gtrheaven has them.

good luck!

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey Curehardy,

Looked into it and looks like none of these tricks will work with a Cioks. Dang! They have a RCA-plug where you connect the power lead to the supply. I emailed Cioks to see if they have an answer. I'd really like to get rid of all wall-warts on my pedal board. They drive me nuts!

4. drolling

drolling Member

OK, so I'll be checking this thread for solutions. I'm still using the provided power supply w/ML and a powerall for the rest of the stuff. The ML's replacing an old Deluxe Memory Man that ran straight off an AC powerbar nailed to the back of my hideous homemade board.

Every time I scrape up the cash for a VoodooLab pedalpower, I blow it on a compressor, or another fuzz.. or an overdrive...

5. OOG

OOG Member

the ML's power supply is the best wall wart i've ever seen(ya, i know that's not saying much)
    a skinny little rectangle with the prongs comming out the end
    wonder why everyone doesn't use this?

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you have 18v and an adapter that'll otherwise work (don't know about the Cioks) you can engineer the cable by taking a normal one, cutting it in the middle and reversing the leads...

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Cioks has reverse polarity cables on sale, so that's not a problem. What is, though, is that since you need 18-24 volts DC, you need the Booster Flex cable (which doubles the voltage you put into it, providing 18 volts from a 9v outlet), which is only available with normal center negative polarity. Also, it is only good for 50mA (the converter can't handle more) and the ML needs more than that, so it won't work for you even if you get the polarity right... :(

Wait and see what Poul Ciok has to say about it (maybe there's something new on the horizon), but with the current Cioks product line, I don't see it working out. Oh, and before you plug in the adapter the ML comes with, make sure it will work and provide the right voltage with 240 volt mains voltage (so you don't blow the pedal up before you even get to play it).

/Andreas

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm in a dead end with Cioks, unless they come up with a solution. I actually have the booster-flex for my OCD. Works fantastically, but as Stinkfoot mentioned, will only power up to 50mA.

Dang, I was really looking forward to getting rid of my wall warts and AC powerbars.

Oh yeah, Stinkfoot, I ordered from Holland. Should come with the right adaptor, right?

9. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Yup, then it should be safe. Although it won't hurt to take a quick look at the adapter anyway, just to be sure - it's always a good practice to know what you're plugging in before you do. :) The input and output voltages are usually written somewhere on the adapter housing, as well as the plug polarity.

Btw, I am starting to develop some serious GAS for a Memory Lane - not good for my wallet, but hey... :D

/Andreas