Memory Lane Power?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jan 7, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I just picked up a Diamond Memory Lane, i was wondering if there's a special cable i need to hook it up to my ADL juicebox 2.0. My power supply can supply 18 volts from one single input, is it as simple as just using a typical (boss style) power cable?

thanks, jon

2. drolling

drolling Member

I've been discussing this w/other ML users who're having performance problems w/ML when hooked up to anything other than the adaptor supplied w/the unit. Apparently it's extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuations. I suggest you write Michael at Diamond for more complete info and use the stock power supply in the meantime.

I think this is a killer pedal. I don't have much use for tap-tempo (been setting my delays by ear for too many decades, I guess) but controlling the regeneration w/a foot pedal is a really cool feature.

What do you think, so far?

3. themusicboxstudios

i should get it by monday, but i just wanted to have a heads up. but thanks, i'll send him an e-mail.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

What kind of problems are people having? I've used mine w/ my Juicebox (003) a couple of times and it's seemed fine. Cheers, Jon

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It looks like it should work just fine with the Juicebox. But it also looks like you need a special cable, to get the polarity right. The jack in the ML is center positive (i.e. reverse from a normal Boss style jack), so you can't use the standard cables provided with the power supply (the ones you'd use for any standard Boss-type pedal), as they will have the wrong polarity. With a reverse polarity cable (one you'd use for something like a Fulltone '69), it should work just fine.

/Andreas

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

agreed... polarity is critical... I have a few Tip + cables I keep for the oddbal pedals like that (carefully marked so as not to confuse them) :cool:

7. drolling

drolling Member

You said it! When in doubt, stick w/battereies till you get correct info from the manufacturer or other users. Even a very low voltage adaptor w/the wrong polarity can burn the guts out of a pedal instantly.

8. themusicboxstudios

good stuff, i'll pick one of those up. thanks guys.

9. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Hmm....

I use a regular cable from a Juicebox v2 (set to 24v) to my ML. It works fine, still. (it internally regulates to something like 15v) Maybe its tricked like the DLS stuff and polarity doesn't really matter?

I've used it like this from day one, and it has been powered up for many many hours :confused:

10. themusicboxstudios

Got this from Mike:

Jon,

Hi! It should work fine with the 18V output of the juicebox, but you will need a polarity crossover cable (negative tip to positive tip). I believe it's possible to order one from Voodoo Labs (they include a crossover cable with the PP2), or we can custom make one for you for $10.

Cheers!

Michael Knappe
    Diamond Pedals

11. themusicboxstudios

would anyone be willing to part with their inverted polarity cable for my memory lane?

thanks, jon

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not super handy, but this one really is pretty simple:
    1. Mark one wire of your cables near the middle.
    2. Cut in the middle of the mark.
    3. Separate the two wires, strip
    4. Invert (marked to non-marked) and twist together
    5. A slight dab of solder to hold in place.
    6. Electrician's tape to protect the joint

If you're really into clean work, use a piece of shrink wrap over each join and then one larger piece of shrink wrap over the whole thing. Cost: a few pennies worth of solder and tape...

13. themusicboxstudios

good advice, but i'm already out of cables as it is, so i need to buy some more either way, i might as well get the right thing.

14. themusicboxstudios

well, i just ordered my new power cables, should be fun stuff :)

15. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Mike just emailed me, and said that perhaps the 18v output is already inverted on the Juicebox, cause it wouldn't work otherwise. Unless I got a reversed cable with the ML, I don't think I'm using anything special.

16. themusicboxstudios

wow, that's really weird ... that actually kind of scares me. i just ordered the reverse polarity cable ... i haven't read anywhere that the juicebox has a reverse polarity on the 18v input. i've got some researching to do.

17. TomK

TomK Member

You can buy the correct cable from pedalgear.net.
    You want their p/n CBL-003 for $5.95

18. TomK

TomK Member

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT CORRECT - all DC outputs on any version of the JuiceBox (002, 003LE, and 003) are all standard tip negative jacks. There is not even a possibility of one being reversed as they are all PCB mounted jacks.

All versions of the JuiceBox including the most recent v003 shipped with one of the correct reverse polarity cables (their P/N CBL-003) so you are most likely using that cable.

19. themusicboxstudios

thanks for clearing that up! i was scared for a moment ... anyways, can anyone measure their memory lane real quick? i'm trying to get my board ready for it's arrival.

thanks, jon

20. mknappe

mknappe Member

Hi! Yes, the Memory Lane requires a positive tip supply voltage anywhere from 18 to 24V (we internally regulate to 15V), with at least 125 mA of available current.

Thanks for the pointers about the juicebox crossover cables shipping with the unit, that now makes a lot of sense about why it worked fine with the Mem Lane, and it's good to know there's an inexpensive source for the polarity crossover cable.

Cheers!

Michael Knappe
    Diamond Pedals