Memory Lane question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dankayaker, Mar 13, 2006.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've determined to buy a Memory Lane primarily because of the modulation (which to me is what I've been after in so many other delays but never attained). I don;t really care for a solid delay repeat, but a the reverb swell/swampy ness that decays over time.

My question is . . .is the sound clip on the Diamond site accurate . . has anyone been able to acheive that reverbish decay ? Just wanted to make sure no reverb or other effects would be needed to achieve this.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey Dankayaker,

I think it is possible. I usually set my ML for something just like that. The modulation is not as crazy as on the Deluxe Memory Man, but is very nice indeed and the eq is great for dialing those sounds.

3. drolling

drolling Member

OK, just went over & listened to the clips - pretty straightforward stuff, there's one w/a Ross phaser in the effects loop (Strat + Vox) and another combined w/the Fireburst dist/fuzz pedal (Explorer + MesaBoogie) but all the rest are just guitar & amp- no reverb on either amp as far as I can tell.

To tell you the truth, the ML sounds better than those clips to me, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It's not just modulation that you're hearing (it's indicated whether on or off with each clip), altho' the ML's modulation circuit's very cool. What's creating that interesting decay is the EQ knob. It's detented at the centre (12:00) and boosts bass when turned counter-clockwise, or treble when turned clockwise.

And that's the beauty of it - most tone controls just shave the highs as you roll them off, but the boost circuit causes highs or lows to become increasingly trebley or bassy with each repeat, so the tone is evolving & changing as the echoes fade away.

You can create effects that are much more dramatic just by fiddling with that knob. When set to either extreme, the delay goes into self oscillation even when the repeats are set low.. much more sensitive than a Deluxe Memory Man, for example.

Another cool trick is plugging an expression pedal into the effects loop to control the repeat rate ("level"). So you can go from slapback to long trails without taking your hands off the guitar.. this feature's a lot moire important to me than tap tempo.. lots of fun.

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

I haven't tried to use it to get some reverb-mush yet, but I love the pedal. The only thing to point out is that you may want to research the Jacques Prisoner, if you just want it for modulation. $200, smaller, etc. If (like me) you need more than 300 ms, and you want tap tempo and EQ, the Memory Lane is the only way to go. I haven't regretted it once, and I love the pedal.

5. dankayaker

Thanks guys . . .just went back to the Diamond site and the clip is the first clip "listen to the Memory Lane now" and it says just the pedal with modulation on.

I just ordered one from Pedal Geek . . . .it'll be here Wednesday . . . . . .This is the only effect I use besides some OD so I have very high hopes.

My rig will be:

American Deluxe Strat/McInturff Taurus-Planet Waves tuner-Landgraff DO- Crunch Box- Memory Lane- GainStar amp.

Honestly I just want to be done with the pedalboard . . . it's changed too many times.

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey dankayaker,

Is that a Star amp by Mark Sampson you have? Your going to have to tell us a bit about it I think. What is it like? There has been hardly any hype on those amps, atleast much less than you'd expect. Give us the lowdown! How long was your wait time?

7. dankayaker

"Is that a Star amp by Mark Sampson you have? Your going to have to tell us a bit about it I think. What is it like? There has been hardly any hype on those amps, atleast much less than you'd expect. Give us the lowdown! How long was your wait time?"

Well . . where to start. Having owned many of the most well thought of amps (at least here on TGP) over the past couple years, I have to say the Star is to me the finest of the fine. I wouldn't say it's miles better than other high-end amps (there are a lot of really fine amps being made), but it has
    a character and depth (especially on the clean channel) that I really love.
    I originally wanted an amp that sounded like the cleanish playing at the end of "Sky Blue" by Peter Gabriel . . .the Star is darn close. It's a loud 15 watter, built like a tank and pretty heavy. Clean channel as I said is deep, rich chimey and spanky . . . just wonderful. The OD channel is a cross between a Dumble and a Marshall IMO. With a little volume and not much gain overtone loaded feedback is easy .with more gain it just gets juicier . . . . I'd guess you either love it or just don't care for it.

Not sure why they haven't gotten more info out . . . seems like they are not trying very hard. I had no wait time, Fat Sound had it in stock. I don't think they were too hip on the amp . . .though Jason at Steelbender just got the Sirius Reverb (same amp as GainStar with verb on clean channel) and seems to love it..

Like I said, I've owned Bruno, TwoRock, Carr, Bogner . . . . and this Star just seems to be a tad better for me than those other fine amps. I'm still in the market for a lower gain Marshally amp, but the Star is going no where.

If you have any other questions fire away.

8. threm

threm Member

Sorry if this OT rant disturbs anyone but I don`t see Star amps mentioned often.

I used to look at the Champ like 5 watts Star Nova as a possible great little recording amp. Two in a stereo setup, of course. ;-) Haven`t heard anyone here who`ve played the Nova.

"One 6V6 power tube, two 12AX7 preamp tubes. Pure CLASS A, hand wired with Teflon coated wiring. Point-to-point wiring only. Two inputs, 1/8" Headphone jack and 1/4" Line Out. Controls for Drive 1, Volume, Bass, Treble and Master."

[​IMG]

http://www.supersoundmusic.com/star.html
    Are Star amps in business? Site is down at the moment.
    http://staramplifiers.com

9. dankayaker

Threm . . .do a search and you will find some threads about the Star Nova.

10. threm

threm Member

I`ll do, thanks!

Btw. I dig the MemLane, especially with the expr pedal. ;)
    I don` t see how "that reverbish decay" should be hard to achieve. I believe a key is the modulation that makes the repeats kind of thicker and more `woven into each other` and the softening of the attacks you`ll get. Using the expr pedal along with the time/modulation/EQ knobs there are lots of great sounds on tap.