Memory Lane,Replica,Ad-999,Quicksilver

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Douge, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Douge

Douge Member

If you had your choice of These Delays, which one would you choose?? Best Sound Quality??

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Yeah this was a tough one for me too-every one of these products has its followers and desirable features and tone.

I just ordered a Replica and I'm probably going to end up with one of DonneR's delays too for comparison.

I'm not really a delay afficionado (having not had one for about 10 years) so I wasn't sure whether to go for something complex and versatile or simple and warm.

I'll report back when I have a play with the Replica.

BTW, thanks to Brian from Super Sound Music for a good deal and great service and advice.

3. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I tried the Quicksilver, it was pretty good but way too many features for what I needed, plus its pretty big and tall.

I'm running the AD999 now, it sounds warm, is simple to use a good pedal.

Used to have the T-Rex replica but sold it because it required a different power setup than I could run at the time. I am now looking to sell the AD-999 and get another T-Rex, it was a great sounding delay, warm, clean, easy to use.

Tried the Memory Lane - sent it back, it was pretty noisy.

My .02

Good luck with your search.

RC

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Well you're making me feel better!
    A buddy of mine leant me his AD999 and it did sound very warm but I liked what the Replica offered feature wise.

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

What about the Dls Echotap or the SIB Echodrive?

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I tried the T-Rex Replica the Quicksilver and the SIB Echodrive. I was surprised that I liked them all, but the T-Rex nudged ahead just a little bit, it seemed a more professional dialed in design. The SIB was just too huge and used an AC chord, which would have been fine if it blew away the others but it didn't. If the T-Rex didn't have the tap tempo footswitch I probably still would have slightly prefered it, but the tap tempo is a very cool feature and pretty much clinches the deal for me.

7. drolling

drolling Member

OK, the Diamond & the Maxon are both BBD chip based analogue delays.

The BlackBox's an "analogue-voiced" digital delay and the T-Rex's something I've been very interested in, but unable to try. Don't even know whether it's digital or analogue, but from the recordings I've heard, it's very *natural* sounding, w/a warm & convincing delay trail.

Given the four choices, I'd go w/the Memory Lane. A very versatile delay w/tap tempo, an exp. pedal out to control feedback levels and beautiful modulation circuitry.

I don't have a Quicksilver (yet!), but as an owner of a BlackBox UVII, I can tell you that Lorren's got a *golden* ear for tones - his fuzz's got a very sensitive 4-band active EQ, and if his delay's anything like it, you should be able to chase down a huge palette of tones..

But some players just want to hear exactly what's going in/coming out, and for that reason, I'm going to slip in a recommendation for for an E2 Headrush by Akai. Thing's got a cool "4-head tape echo" that has to be heard to be believed, as well as a standard digital delay setting & a 23 second looper/phraes sampler that sounds great and is a breeze to use. You may have heartd KT Tunstall using this little box to create an entire tune (Black Horse & Cherry Tree) solo live & on-the-fly.. For "tape-stye" delay and simple looping, this one clobbers the Line6 DL-4.

Another great new analogue delay that's really impressed me is Jacques Prisoner - 300 ms of warm & creamy delay w/a modulation circuit that rivals or surpasses the Memory Lane's, w/a tiny footprint & small pricetag.

I know you weren't asking about these two, but they're well worth considering..

8. Grant Ferstat

Oh another thing....I'd disregarded the Replica previously because of the price but they're now priced similarly to the Memory Lane.

For me it really came down to a question of whether I wanted the T-Rex's longer delay time and option of either crisper digital delays or analogue/tape emulation via the brown switch or the Memory Lane's modulation capabilities.

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I didn't like the Replica myself. I found a noticable tonal difference when on compared to bypassed...something i didn't find in the ML.
    I guess that's why they say "most people leave theirs on" :)

10. Grant Ferstat

Oh well...I'll see how I go.

Leaving it on all the time sure wouldn't be me considering my live guitar sound has been running totally dry off the stage for about 10 years now!