Memory lane/ SAD-1 comparison

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Jan 7, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

In comparing the tone of the delay ONLY (not extra options of the memory lane) I found these 2 to be very similar. In the decay and warmth of the repeats. The memory lane goes into oscillation a litle easier and of course has the eq knob which is nice, but with the memory lane's eq set flat I could get a lot of the same type delays. I also have a EM-5, DL-5, DD-3 and have had a deluxe memory man, dd-5, and dano reel echo. The sad-1 was the closest to the memory lane IMO. The EM-5 was warmer but didnt have the note decay as much. The DL-5 sounded clear while not as sterile as the dd-3 or dd-5 (of course the warmth or decay wasn't there) Anyone looking for an analog delay but dont have the coin to drop on a memory lane then get an SAD-1. Thanks guys for recommending this one!!! My dad has been using one for a long time with his pedal steel (he has great ears, dont know why I waited so long to try one)

2. erksin

erksin Member

Wow - cool comparison! I just recently picked up a SAD-1 and have been very happy with it. I was replacing a '70s DOD 680 Analog Delay which sounded cool, but had very muddy repeats - the SAD-1 is much more articulate, but still warm and organic.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks for the review. I've been mixing & matching the seemingly endless variations on overdrive pedals w/old non master tube amps for years, and have recently started down that path w/delays.

This can get a lot more expensive than collecting dirt boxes, so I appreciate the heads-up on a 'budget' delay. Where's the best place to order one?

thanks,
    dave

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ebay, and other used item outlets, as they are no longer made. The more recent SAD-3 is not what you want (havent tried it myself, just what I have heard).

5. drolling

drolling Member

Figures... Half the pedals on my board have been discontinued or replaced by new & *improved* versions.

That's why I don't *delay* buying a good one ASAP. Some of the really great stuff goes out of production in less than 6 months...

6. erksin

erksin Member

Yep, eBay and TGP Classifieds. I wouldn't go more than about $75 for one in excellent condition. I'd comb some pawn shops too - I bet one could be had for much less.

Cool box IMO - I only use it for shorter delays (slapback/Rock-a-billy stuff and some trippier Tommy Bolin-ish things), but it sounds quite good to me. Delay is not a staple of my tone, so I didn't want to spend too much on it but it sounds much more expensive than it is to my ears. No noise and nice clear warm repeats.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Just noticed that derek_32999 has an Ibanez DL-5 Soundtank for sale in the classifieds - those get pretty good bang-for-the-buck reviews as well...

8. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

thanks for the review.

I've been loving the SAD-1 for a few years now. Ebay is the place to find them. The price is creeping up a little, but $75 shipped is about right.

9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

How does it sound around .375 to .500?

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yes, very good bang for the buck. In fact the ONLY reason I am letting go of this one is that I have 2 of them. :). Much better crisp, clear tone than the Boss DD pedals which sound somewhat sterile to me. BTW I really like the Soundtank EM-5 for that rockabilly tone as it seems to retain more of the pick attack.

11. cubba65

cubba65 Member

If you're talking milliseconds, the SAD-1 does the traditional 330 ms.
    Same as the DM2, AD9, etc.

I wouldn't choose it over a DM2, but it's still a really good pedal and well worth the dough.
    If it was in a metal case it'd go for twice the price.

12. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yeah, I took one (SAD-1) apart to see if I could figure out how to re-house it. Anyone know anybody that does that stuff? Because I don't want to screw mine up.

As far as it being comparable to a Memory Lane... I can't agree with that. It's closer to my AD-9. It's similar in that it's an analog delay. So it has that analog delay sound... that's where the similarities end, IMO. The Memory Lane is one of the best delay pedals ever. I really think the Moog and the ML are the cream of the crop. Put it this way... their price can be justified. If the SAD is a good value, so are those 2 pedals for what they sound like and what they do.

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Never heard the moog, but the ML is definately cream of the crop. That modulated delay is beautiful. I dont use tap tempo, especially since it takes away that lush chorus, but I dont use it anyways. I am trying to justify keeping my #17 ML since I got the SAD-1 though. I have never tried an AD-9. Does it go into self osciallation as fast as the ML will? It is so easy it gets on my nerves sometimes (the SAD does it too, just not as easy), yet I do love doing the spaceship takeoff and landing sounds.

14. Madsman

Madsman Member

I'd trade you my Maxon AD-9 and my SAD-1 + some cash for the ML. That's how much I love the ML.

The AD-9 is the perfect workhorse analog delay, IMO. It can self oscillate, but it doesn't get nuts unless you're down there working with the knobs while you play. To me the SAD-1 and the AD-9 are very similar, with the AD-9 seeming to be more alive... don't know how to say it... it's like there's more effect on tap if you need it. Same 300-330ms.

I've been tempted to get a ML since I played it at NAMM. I use tap tempo with a DD5 currently. I think I'd have a legitimate problem, choosing between tap and mod with the ML, so I understand your decision. :)