1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memory Lane: Taming runaway oscillation on stage?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Jun 22, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just got a Memory Lane....really impressed with it.
    Excellent manual with it to, that is concise, direct, informative and
    generally very well written and thought out.

IT does give good tips on this, and I am sure it is just something I have to play with til it is intuitive, but in SOME settings (and they can be quite different settings too, not just when delay is short and feedback is high, etc.) a slight change in volume or attack on the guitar can make it go into runaway oscillation, and when it goes it goes faster than on any other delay I ever had....and it is not a pleasing sound.

I just wondered, any of you have "standard" ways to cut self oscillation when it starts up? I'm guessing immidiately turning the feedback knob down, or first the mix, then feedback?

I know my question is vague, but mainly would love to hear from longtime users, (longtime being, long enogh to figure this pedal out :) any tips on settings, or surefire ways to prevent the oscillation...or any other tips really.

This is a really incredible pedal, I don't see the "touchiness" as a problem, merely something I have to learn how to use...the sound is amazing though.

2. threm

threm Member

Do you have the expr pedal for feedback control? That would give you more control.

With the EQ knob towards darker repeats the self-oscillation doesn`t come on as quick and nasty.

This was discussed on HCFX where Michael Knappe from Diamond chimed in and told about a mod in development to solve some of these issues.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1260102

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks very much...seems like I'm not the only one to experience this!

I haven't yet tried an expression pedal, but from the link you provided, it looks like that doesn't solve it either, as some there (including the maker) mentioned that it still can go on clicking away...

I guess I just have to search some more, ask on forums like this one, and experiment for myself with this. It doesn't dampen my enthusiasm, and I am sure it is going on my pedal board for playing out, but I think I better work with it a while.

Still looking for tips, tricks, and...anyone's "safe" settings or just cool settings to use with the pedal.

4. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

I've been dealing with the same issue and for me the expression pedal works great to kill the self-oscillation, riding the pedal really helps control it as well because it reacts differently depending on delay time, input levels etc. I'm looking forward to the expression pedal, Michael recently told me in email it could be out in a month or two...

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just an update....I spent a little more time with it last night and am getting more and more amazed at the sounds out of this thing.

I also purposely drove it into oscillation, and practiced a little "recovering" and getting back to stable delays. I'm not really keen on the idea of one more rocker pedal (already have a vol pedal, and a wah...used expression for a while on my mojovibe also) so I want to see more where the limits are (it's a moving target depending on several settings) and keep myself safely inside so I don't get that runaway oscillation.

Looked a little closer at the diagram in the manual, and was surprised that unlike most expression pedals used to control instead of a knob, this one is in the signal path (you can also add effects to the echos) so the quality of the volume pedal used is important, at least to the delay sounds. Usually it doesn't matter because it is no guitar signal going out to the exp.

I'm not bummed at all about the tendency to oscillate, as I think it is just a part of the nature of the beast AND of the many controls one has on this thing...and it sounds absolutle incredible.

6. drolling

drolling Member

She's a touchy li'l thing isn't she?

Just altering pick attack's enough to send the ML into oscillation, and that's something I really like about it, as I've never used a delay that responded to picking dynamics before. I understand the Echoczar's also very sensistive to the way you play, too. Really looking forward to getting my hands on one of those as well!

I've exchanged a few e-mails w/Michael about expression pedal compatability, as the Moog pedal I use (that's the one he recommends) definitely decreases the sensitivity and actually makes it much more difficult to get runaway oscillation going.

The volume pedals I tried did nothing at all, and a Line6 expression pedal also had no effect - you'll need one with a hardwired stereo plug, as far as I can tell.

The little Boss EV-5 expression pedal works much like the Moog pedal, in that it also truncates the range normally available by twisting the level knob - In toe-down position, the pedal will not oscillate unless the delay time's very short or the EQ's set to one extreme or the other.

I really like the 'hair-trigger' responsiveness of the Memory Lane, and I'm still searching for an expression pedal that'll retain the sensitivity of the level control.

7. entraind

I use the EB VP Jr. w/ a stereo cable 'and it works pretty well.

There's an internal switch that makes the taper more even than the typical ernie ball VP, but still most of the action happens in the last 1/2 to 1/3rd of the pedals' sweep. I haven't used the moog, so I have nothing to compare it to, but at the settings I'm using I have no difficulty getting runaway oscillation going...

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks to both of you, that was some welcome information.
    I've got an Ernie Ball Jr. I can try out (I love the switch in that for the taper) and an old Sho-Bud volume pedal.

Also, good to know that restricting the range a little can keep me a little safer.

Thanks guys! Both of you!

9. entraind

No problem, let us know how it turns out. I've been meaning to try some stuff in the effects loop with the volume pedal as well, anyone out there do this?

I'm really interested in the expression pedal that Diamond is coming out with b/c the clicky-ness of the self oscillation is one of my few complaints about the pedal...