Memory Lane Tone Report

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Eric Pykala, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Hi, I'm Eric and I'm a delay junkie...I've had my Diamond Memory Lane for a couple of weeks now (thanks Mike!), and after daily rehearsals and four gigs I figured it was time to share my opinions on this incredible piece of gear. I've owned/tried pretty much all the cool delays out there, and while my lust for a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo hasn't subsided, I have found something I like almost as well. Even fits on my board (unseating my Gigadelay)!
    First day I had my ML I played a gig with my classic rock band, and brought just the ML and a Boss pedal tuner. Less is really more, and I was really impressed at how fat and thick the Tone was. Since I didn't have any of my swirly pedals, I used the modulation section a bit, and was rewarded with some beautiful atmospheric sounds. Next nights gig with the same band was even better as I got a feel for the controls (really fast and intuitive). Even my drummer came up to me and asked what I'd done to my Tone, as he said it was the best he'd ever heard out of me. I then spent a few nights in rehearsal with an up-and-coming new country singer. Our pedal steel player had previous commitments, so I had a lot of sonic territory to cover. Used my Musicman Silhouette Special with Wagner SRs (best darn strat in the world), my Xotic RC and BB, and the ML into my Traynor Blue amp. This sounds like God herself! Our lead player is a total Tone Monster (and a Juno winner to boot), and he came up to me and wanted to know how I was getting the killer thick pad sounds. He was amazed when he found out it was just the ML. I had it dialed-up for some fat "Eric-Johnson-meets-The Edge" , and with some subtle whammy moves succeeded in filling-out the mids beautifully.
    Quick notes: This thing is really quiet! I can crank my rig, and when I kick in the ML the noise floor changes almost inaudibly. The tap switch takes a bit to get used to, as it's a non-latching type. The ability to switch the mod section on and off with the footswitch is also really cool. The slapback sounds for rockabilly are the best I've heard.
    Sorry for the long post, but this unit has a lot to offer. The words that come-up repeatedly are "thick" and "fat" and "juicy". Quiet, true bypass, and versatile. I want to try it with a volume pedal in the insert loop to control feedback remotely, but that will be another story. It isn't often I'll rave about something on the Net, but everyone who hears it asks how I'm getting my Tone. Check out the details at www.diamondpedals.com (by the way, their optical compressor is a killer too!). Michael Knappe and the boys have a real winner here...get one while the wait is still only a couple of weeks! Hell, just get one!-Eric
    P.S. to Pete Faragher: Keep the TTE, sell the Gigadelay, and get one of these toot sweet doctor! Uncle Eric knows...

2. drolling

drolling Member

There's a wait for these now? I picked one off the shelf at a local music store for $409 Canadian and am seriously considering adding another one to my rig for that cool stereo setup outlined in the manual.

But I'll probably hold off till I get an Echoczar for comparison. Still waiting for someone who's got both to step up and do a shootout between the two.

I'm also interested in the Moog RI, but I've read some less than glowing reviews of the first batch, so I'm reluctant to drop the 729 US dollars. I love Bob's stuff, tho', and have often wondered if the negative reviews were written by younger players who don't really understand the nature of analog delay.

Yes, it's funky, yes, it's noisy- it's supposed to be. Speaking of noise, I too, find the ML to be exceptionally quiet, compared to my EH MemoryMan RI. Way more headroom too.

The only misgiving I have about my much anticipated Echoczar centers around the statement on the Toneczar website that the 'czar's noise levels are similar to that of a tubescreamer. But Ed may have included that for the benefit of those who have come to expect the 'dead silent' operation of digital effects. Michael at Diamond has also included a full page in the ML manual dedicated to a technical explanation of the 'quirks' & shortcomings of all analog circuitry.

Having grown accustomed to the limitations of the MemoryMan, I didn't think much of the ML's 'tap-tempo' feature till I started to use it. Now I can't see going back to a delay that doesn't do this- It's just so convenient being able to lock in on the beat without ever taking my hands off the guitar.

I haven't explored the ML's effect loop, as I've been using that jack w/an expression pedal to control feedback. Works perfectly, and it's real nice not having to bend over and fiddle with knobs while trying to play at the same time.

One thing I don't get, tho', is the fact that's almost impossible to get the ML to self-oscillate at extreme (550ms) settings. At shorter delay times, however, the ML goes into runawy feedback with the slightest nudge of the pedal. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I was expecting after years of using the ElectroHarmonix pedal.

On the subject of the TTE, I'd love to have one just for the tube distortion in the preamp. I had an old Binson Echolette w/a broken tape transport that I left on all the time for just this reason. Some of the nicest natural sounding overdrive I've ever heard. I've tried a bunch of tube based OD pedals in search of these elusive tones, but no luck yet.

Eric, I see you're in Canada too. Where did you get your Memory Lane?

3. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

so far i havent been bothered by any noise that the Echoczar makes. im with you, the thing about it having the same hiss as a TS-9 on 12 kinda scared me a little, but honestly, im not even hearing it. i expected the Echoczar to be a little noisier than it is.. cant say enough good things about that pedal!

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yup- that's exactly what I figured, Shon. It reminds me of some criticisms I've read regarding the new generation of samplers & loopers; "What! Only 5 minutes!! That's !@#$%?& unacceptable!" Jeez, there was a time not so long ago when I was extremely grateful for 5 SECONDS! And speaking of time, would you mind telling me when you placed your order with Mr. Rembold, and when you got the pedal?

Thanks,
    dave

5. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

i guess Ed got my money on 4/21 so thats the official order date, and i got it, what, last Wed? its all a delayed blur from then on :D

6. threm

threm Member

I have both but, I`m sorry, I won`t give you any long comparison.
    Most of it you can get by reading and listening to the various mp3`s, like on this thread and on the Toneczar site.

To make it as simple as the truth;
    The MemLane is, allthough analog and warm/fat, still a lot more polite in its basic core sound. Of course you can mess it up by the expr pedal and modulation.

The Echoczar is more of a beast. The delays are meatier and `bigger". The Echoczar loves fuzz pedals for breakfast like no other delay.
    It`s not as predictable as the MemLane to begin with.
    Like an instrument there`s a learning curve to the Echoczar that to begin with may seem to have some randomness to it`s behaviour.
    This `randomness` isn`t really random but has to do with the dynamics of the Echoczar which is one thing that separates it from MemLane and other delays.
    Like for instance; the amount of repeats can be manipulated by how you play, where on the fretboard, which pickup etc.

I really like these two delays and both are on my board, the MemLane in mono and the Echoczar at the end in stereo.
    Two very different delays.

Mine self-oscilliates easily at 550. Could it be the expr pedal you use? I use a Boss EV5.

A question about the MemLAne;
    If the EQ knob is set past 12 o`clock for brighter repeats the self-oscillation will more easily have a `beat` (an increasingly bright throbby sound) to the sound than can get overwhelming as it oscilliates.
    Set to darker repeats the self-oscillation can go on and on without this `beating` sound added.

Where do you set the EQ knob to get repeats that won`t get progressively brighter (great sound on it`s own, like a filtered effect)?
    On mine about 11 o`clock will give repeats that stay the same as the initial delay, and not geting brighter or darker.

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yeah, it the volume pedal that is hindering the self-occsilation...

8. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

threm, are you running the Echoczar before the amp or in the FX loop? and are you just running the Echozcar wet signal to the other amp or something else? ive been doing that, sending the wet echo signal to a Fender Deluxe 85, little solid state thing ive had forever but it sounds pretty sweet!

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

i have been on OD crack lately but i think with the memory lane some of the darker oscillation is related to if it is on modulation or not. if it is modulation the repeats will get brighter(just what i remember) i thought it would be cool to get one of those 3rd hands from musictoyz and set it up to control the delay time during oscillation. and use a volume to control overall repeats/volume. what a tap dance that would be. :)

10. threm

threm Member

The way it`s set up now is with the Echoczar last in the pedal chain. Echoczar`s two outputs are going to two combo amps. The overall volume balance between the two amps (when the Echoczar is on) is better when the Mix knob on the Echoczar is not maxed. Setting the Mix knob around 4 or 5 o`clock will let some dry sound through to the delayed channel but still give a great stereo image. Quite massive, in fact.

I have been going a little back and forth between using the Echoczar in mono and in stereo.
    I love the big stereo sound but also the more pronounced rhytmic delays you`ll get when in mono, especially when using a fuzz. The sound is both wet and dry at the same time like no other delay. ;)