Memory Lane users- What kind of Exp. Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drolling, Feb 27, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

Michael Knappe @ Diamond recommends the Moog pedal and is in the process of testing others & working on possible mods.

The pedal that came w/my Moogerfooger is a no-name Italian made black plastic one, and while it works perfectly w/the Moog, it doesn't get the feedback to go all the way into self oscillation. It would be a lot more effective if it did..

What kind of expression pedals are you using w/Memory Lane?

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

3. Bradders

Bradders Member

4. drolling

drolling Member

Bradders, this is very helpful.

At least one person on the Moog forums says the EV-5 also works w/Moogerfoogers..
    And I've got a Boss Bass synth pedal that's compatible w/the EV-5, so I could get a lot of mileage outa one of these..

Off to the music store.. I'll post back w/results.
    thanks, man!

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

good luck man -- the Roland page also says the EV-7 does this to -seems like a "highe end" pedal than the EV-5. The 5 isn't teh toughest looking kid on teh block, construction wise, but then i don't use it extensively so it works for me - happy delays...........:p

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

I know a LOT of pros who use the EV-5 in general (especially in serial effects loops) and I guess it's a lot tougher than it looks.

What I'm curious about is the ToneCzar expression pedal, because the footprint is superior. I was hoping the Moog pedal would do it, because by the look of it, it too is small. The Boss and the Ernie Ball regular pedal are kind of HUGE.

7. drolling

drolling Member

OK- the EV-5 does work w/the ML, but not perfectly. All I want is a pedal that will do EXACTLY what the level control does- but neither seem to be calibrated to function just like the taper on the pot that controls feedback.

In an e-mail from Michael at Diamond, he told me he was using an old Moogerfooger pedal, from the days when the company was called Big Briar. These are larger pedals that are no longer available, having been replaced by pedals that are supposedly the same as my 'no-name' Italian job.

From the identical picture at the online Moog store, and ongoing conversations w/users at the Moogerfoogere forum, it would seem pointless to buy one of these and expect different results w/ML.

Eventually, I'll have an Echoczar & the modded ErnieBall, which I will test w/MemoryLane. But who knows when that'll be..

As a side note, the EV-5 does work really well w/the Boss SYB-5 Bass Synth, turning the filter function into a wah pedal. Been having a blast w/that.

8. threm

threm Member

I have used a Foxrox (actually a Proel when taking off the Foxrox sticker) and an EV-5. Yesterday I played without expr pedal and I sarted thinking the expr pedals I`ve used might have influenced the sound of the MemLane, the EQ knob now more musical. Maybe I was just fooled. I`ll try again today comparing with and without expr pedal plugged in.
    I`ve also got the Echoczar expr pedal I`ll try.

What`s not so good with the leightweight plastic pedals is that it`s easy to mess with any setting just taking the foot off the pedal.

Roxktron has an expr pedal called HEX where you can adjust the tension;
    "An adjustable rocker tension screw allows you to adjust the pedal action for a lighter or heavier "touch"."
    http://www.rocktron.com/frameset1.html

Might work with the MemLAne but I haven`t had a chance to check it out.
    Looks more heavy duty than the EV-5/Foxrox allthough my main concern with those is more the flimsy feel rather than the durability.

[​IMG]

9. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks for the heads-up, threm.

The EQ knob on ML definitely interacts w/the level control - boosting the bass or treble will trigger self-oscillation at much lower level settings.

I'm pretty sure it's not your imagination that an expression pedal could limit the effectiveness of the eQ, as that's been my impression as well. And that's why I'm casting about for a better one.

Another thing I've noticed is that a pedal's much more effective when the ML's switch is set to 'tap' mode. I can't recall if the manual says anything about this, and it's buried somewhere in the rubble of my studio..

I'm now tempted to try the el-cheapo Behringer that I've seen locally.

Michael tells me that one of the pedals he's tested has the opposite effect, reaching maximum feedback before the treadle's in toe-down position. I think I'd almost prefer that..

One of the coolest things about Memory Lane is that I'm able to control the number & quality of repeats just w/my pick attack, and this feature seems dampened somehow with either exp. pedal connected. I may end up mounting the ML on a mic stand (like my old DMM) so I can regulate the controls w/my hands.

10. threm

threm Member

Interesting. Drolling. I need more time with the ML to get a solid opinion on the possible interactions you touch upon

The way the EQ on the repeats of the ML work (more or less like a filter sweep - either progressively brighter or darker for each repeat) - small changes in the position of the expr pedal can have more dramatic effect on the sound than a similar pedal used on a modded AD900 I have.

Just a quick report before I`m off for another night shift (22pm - 08am);
    First of all - The Echoczar modded E.Ball pedal works perfectly as far as I can hear. In many ways it`s much better than the EV-5.
    Both the longer sweep range and the tight solid feel gives much more control and makes it easier to play with the ML and the potential sounds the pedal hides.
    On the EV-5, because of the shorter range and the more flimsy feel, changes come more abrupt and the self-oscillation (not always very pleasent sounding with the EQ knob on the treble side and especially with shorter delay times) comes on faster and more agressively than with the E.Ball.

If you like to play and paint with the ML like an instrument how the expr work means quite a bit.
    ML and the expr pedal and the analogy to a violin and the bow ain`t too far out;
    The length of the bow, the tightness of it, type of wood and weight, what kind of hair, how much rosin you add............. all will affect the sound of the violin and the feel of playing it which again will affect the sound.

Off to work. :eek:

11. Madsman

Madsman Member

I used the Roland expression pedal today, and I didn't like it very much. It worked well, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to use, because it's almost like it's "off" or "too high." The sweep isn't good.

12. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

Just got a ML today--this thing is tonal paradise :)

I plugged it into my EB JR volume pedal and it worked pretty well as an expression pedal. What are the Mods performed for the Echo Czar Ernie ball and how does the performance of the modded EB they differ from a regular one?

I'm also interested in more thoughts on how the volume pedal effects the EQ and the tone of the ML. Thanks all!

13. drolling

drolling Member

Entraind, I have a really old Ernie Ball volume pedals somewhere in my studio - If I find it, I'll test it w/MemoryLane and post my findings on this thread.

Turns out that the Behringer expression pedal I mentioned earlier is battery powered, so I've decided it would be too dangerous to plug into my ML. Mismatched voltages can do a lot of damage to a pedal's circuitry.

The Line6 expression pedal does not work at all with MemoryLane. It has a standard mono plug, but the two exp. pedals I'm using both have hard-wired stereo plugs.

Does the EB Jr. have a mono or stereo plug?

As far as Ed's mods go, I really have no idea. Have you looked at the Toneczar website?

Still haven't heard anything new from Michael at Diamond, but I'm expecting a couple of Drive pedals from him, and I'll ask about any new developements next time I'm in contact with him.

I'm still not happy w/either the Moog or the Boss pedal as controllers for the Diamond delay, but the delay itself is truly a gem. Destined to become a classic when/if the chips he's using ever run out...

14. entraind

Drolling, thanks for the input.

Using a stereo cable, I tried a Morley Little Alligator VP and a Ernie Ball Jr VP. The Morley seemed to concentrate most of it's change in the final 1/3rd of the pedal's sweep. The Ernie Ball Jr. seemed to work pretty well, with the change happening fairly evenly, I only had a few min. to check it out though before I had to go out so I'll know more tomorrow. In looking at the Toneczar site it looks like Ed ads a switch for direction and taper as well as changing the input to a 1/4" stereo instead of the usual mono in/out config. I'll have to play around with the sweep of my EB for a bit before I decide if I want to try Ed's modded version...

My EB Jr has mono in's and outs so I'm using a standard TRS stereo insert cable that splits the signal into two mono's....Because I use my EB as my main volume pedal, I'll have to poke around and see if I can find myself a used EB before my gig next weekend...Having the expression pedal is areally sweet addition to an already awesome pedal.

15. gener

gener Member

i would not recommend the new moogerfooger volume pedals. i don't think they'd survive nightly use and abuse.

i've been using an ernie ball jr pedal. the self-oscillation point is a little earlier than with the moogerfooger, but would be nice to have an even earlier point.

plus, it would be nice if the "0" setting had no repeats as opposed to one.

16. Madsman

Madsman Member

I didn't like the Roland pedals... the throw was too abrupt for me. Looking forward to trying the ToneCzar modded EBjr this Sunday. As well as the EchoCzar and Angelbaby.

17. entraind

Did some more playing w/ the EB Jr today. There's a toggle switch inside which when (I think) in the up position helps the taper be a bit more even. I agree that it would be cool if there were no delays at the top of the sweep, also might be interesting if you could dial in how many delays were happening when the pedal is in heel down position, enabling you to get it into oscillation earlier and have your desired tone dialed in in that position and then use the pedal to make it trippier....

Madsman, I'll be interested to hear your report on the Echoczar VP.

18. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

In theory, the "standard" EB expression pedal that I offer should not work with the Memory Lane. (at least not correctly).

I offer a "moog version" of this expression pedal- this should work correctly, and perfectly with proper setting of the Direction and Taper switches.

I'll email the Diamond guys and try to verify, although I don't think there's that much interest based on the email I've been getting.

Thanks, Ed R.

19. threm

threm Member

Hi Ed!
    The two Toneczar modded EB expr pedals I have work, functionally wise, with the MemLane. The Direction switch works, the Taper switch should be in th Up position. If not self-oscillation will come on more abrupt.

Another thing is whether the different expr pedals actually do change the sound of the MemLane`s repeats. This has been debated before on this page. At least I can hear there`s a difference between the modded EB and a standard EV-5.

I have the EV-5, FoxRox (a Proel), old E.Ball stereo vol pedal and the Toneczar EB. They all work but the action is different. And I believe they influence the sound of the MemLane individually. But I have to do a closer listen to be more spesific about this.

20. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

I'm currently looking for an expression pedal for my Memory Lane, so figured I'd revive this thread.

*What did you guys end up using?
    *Was there a conclusion on the best pedal for the job?
    *How did the Toneczar EXP work out for those who tried it?
    *Did Diamond ever release any more info on that expression pedal they were working on?

Apologies for all the questions, just wondering in which direction I should head. Cheers.