Memory Lane vs. Echoczar

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EelEye, Nov 6, 2005.

1. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I know several people own both pedals. For those who do, have you had a chance to do an indepth A/B? I'm mainly concerned about noise, as I've read the Echoczar is a bit noisy. My Maxon AD900 is completely silent, but I'd like something true bypass. In terms of noise, are the Memory Lane and Echoczar about the same? The clips of the Memory Lane pedal make me think it is quite a bit quieter.

2. drolling

drolling Member

I'd be interested in an in-depth shoot-out, too. I'm quite pleased with the ML, but I'm also on the waiting list for an Echoczar, as it has more delay time and a few other features that interest me.

The ML is a lot quieter than my old EH Deluxe Memory Man RI, but I've never heard an analog delay that was 'dead-silent'. There's always some noise attendant to the echoes themselves. I liken it to my old tube amps- they do hum a bit, but they sound much better than transistorized amplifiers.

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'd love some info too.

4. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

5. drolling

drolling Member

There is a delay shootout in this month's Guitar Player. Nine pedals including the ML but not the Echoczar.

When reviewing the ML, they complained about "noise" on longer delay settings and that the control's were difficult (!?!) to figure out.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Just thought I would chime in with a small bit of info.

I recently asked Ed if he intended to add tap tempo to any of his pedals. He said no. Apparently tap tempo for analog isn't near the level it is with digital and he mentioned the ability to make it a precise mechanism is beyond his current allowances.

...those weren't his words, I have since deleted his email and am trying to explain from my poor memory. Anyway, just something to consider if you had your heart set on tap tempo like the ML.

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

He had told me he was "old-school" so tap tempo wasn't something he would be embarking on. Thats cool, I can understand where hes coming from.

On the other hand it is cool having a tap tempo analog delay.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Tell ya the truth, it wasn't really the tap tempo feature that sold me on the ML. I just wanted something that sounded better than my EH memory man. I've been setting my delays the "old-school" way for over 30 years.

..still looking forward to getting my hands on an EchoCzar..

9. muddy

muddy Member

hey, has anyone tried the toadworks redux? i'm REALLY interested in hearing it, 'cause i think i might like to get one. i liked the clips i heard at their site.

ml

10. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

That GP review bothered me, because it wasn't accurate.

They complain about the "proprietary" adapter, yet the adapter isn't proprietary - it's a standard barrel connector - and they document the power requirements.

What's more, the ML can be powered by a PP2+, given the correct cable (a Y connector on the Line6 outputs, with center positive going to the ML).

The controls aren't confusing - six easy to understand knobs, two switches and a mode toggle, and great documentation. GP didn't suggest the Boss DD-20 was confusing, yet it's more complex than the ML. Hmmm...

Oh, and I don't think it's noisier than any other analog delay, and quieter than most (all?).

Some of the other delays in the roundup received surprisingly clean reviews. Ka-ching...!

11. drolling

drolling Member

Amen brother. Haven't bought a copy in years. They're clearly sellin it out their pants to the the big money players.

Even the brain stems who contribute to the HC database have more credibility.